Cd rips methods

Does anybody know why windows media player rips cds without art cover or it will download a album and extract one song from the list?m3u is set just for your info.

I am a sucker for MusicBee

Because Microsoft?
No clue. I like wmp for ease of use, but power user wise, it is a disaster.

Yeah, I just use it cause se e I dont have another cd rip program

A quick question regarding software; Should I have the FLAC files, but no physical CDs, is there any software available that can easily convert those FLAC files into other lossless or lossy file formats?

Yes, you can convert flacs into lossy files using something like FlacSquisher or other online free services

And the same goes for converting from one lossless format to another? Something like FLAC to ALAC?

1 Like

You can use a tool like this

http://www.flactoalac.com/

I personally use dbpoweramp for that. Its easy, simple fast. I think eventually you have to pay for it so as long as you convert shit in a sitting you are good

Yeah thatā€™s the main concern, dpoweramp can do it all but does cost money

1 Like

Yeah I personally used dbpoweramp. And it was phenomenal,but im hoping the day that i have to pay for it never comes .heard ita super expensive. Thankfully i donā€™t regularly get new music so I doubt ill have to convert my flacs again anytime soon

Say you got a folder worth of FLAC you want as mp3.
FFMPEG in combination with the cmd/Powershell will happy to help.
When cmd starts on C:\Users\You and you have your music on for example E:\MyFiles\MyFlacCollection you change over with

cd /D E:\MyFiles\MyFlacCollection

The /D flag is used for changing drive, when all your action is on C:\, you donā€™t need it.

Then it is as simple as pasting this:

for %A in (*.flac) do ffmpeg -i "%~nA.flac" -c:v copy -b:a 320k "%~nA.mp3"
for %A in (*.flac) do ffmpeg -i "%~nA.flac" -c:a alac "%~nA.m4a"

(copy from forum, rightclick in cmd/powershell to paste)

1 Like

Yeah, that works too lol, but I prefer to use a proper gui for simplicityā€™s sake

Everyone their own. I like myself a bad CLI over a good GUI.

1 Like

Apparently I can do the same with foobar but Iā€™m not very familiar with that software

You can also do it with vlc as well. But yes you can do it on foobar, Iā€™m sure there is a tutorial somewhere

If youā€™re on a Mac, XLD does all the file conversion stuff as well as ripping. Itā€™s free.

On Windows, I use dBpoweramp. I think itā€™s well worth the $39 asking price.

Iā€™d use XLD more often, but the Mac itā€™s installed on is very slow, and I donā€™t have enough cash to buy an external Superdrive for my 2019 MBP. That being said, I did manage to get the file conversion to work with Foobar 2000 so thatā€™s nice.

The big problem right now is catalina
Wont let non Apple Approved Apps run
Wont run anything thatā€™s 32 bit
so thereā€™s no guarantee stuff like XLD or programs from Github will work

Oh thatā€™s fair enough. If anything, Iā€™d let the old Mac I have just rip stuff into ALAC, and then into FLAC, and then once those files are on my windows machine, just convert them into the other audio formats I want. Itā€™s a hell of a hassle, but considering itā€™s the only machine I got that actually has a working disc drive itā€™s better than nothing.

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m planning to do with my laptop after my PC is built. Use my mac for ripping and just port it over to my drives and play on my PC