Competitive gaming Portable Closed Back headphones around 100$?

Hello there!

I may have made a mistake and I need your help hehe. I bought a pair of M50xBB this Christmas because I saw them on sale for 100 euro. I didn’t know much about them at the time so I looked a bit of information and they seemed good, so I bought them. I love how they look, this special edition color is gorgeous. However I don’t quite love the sound, it’s not what I was expecting. I have recently looked information about them, specially with channels like Zeos’, and I agree with some of the points. I don’t think they sound bad (maybe cause I’ve never heard to true quality, the best thing I owned were the Superlux HD668B). They have good detail and I enjoy the low end but it’s true that the highs can be harsh and they have nearly no soundstage. I still don’t know how the imaging is but it doesn’t quite convince me, I don’t think I can use this with competitive games.

So yeah, I’m thinking of returning them unless there is a way to improve their imaging.
I need closed back headphones that I can comfortably use and carry on flights, buses or in noisy environments. I would use them for media consumption (movies, music…) but I also want to be able to use them for competitive games. I want to be able to precisely locate where footsteps and sounds are coming from.

I looked up some alternatives thanks to forums and videos:

Audio Technica M40x
Cooler Master MH752
Status CB-1
Takstar pro 82

They are listed from more expensive to less expensive. I can also get the Superlux HD669, but idk if they are good for competitive gaming.
I need your help to decide. I am mostly between the MH752 and the Takstar, though I like the looks of the M40x. I can get the Takstar as low as 60 euro in Amazon (though the seller is like 3rd party, “ammoon”). I only have a laptop for now so I would like them to work good enough without the need of DAC or AMP for now.
Feel free to make other recommendations. I hope this thread will be alble to help anyone looking for the same as me.

cooler master mh 752. mic detachable for portable use and uses a takstar 40mm driver. They sound great and are tuned very well for fps. If you game non fps, the bass may be a little on the lite side. But they eq well because of the takstar driver, so you can add bass. The driver is capable, just not tuned for heavy bass.

2 Likes

So both the Takstar and Cooler master are very good for positional audio? I like better the design of the MH752. Maybe the bass slide of the pro 82 can be interesting for some songs and some games?

Oh, I also forgot to add they weigh nothing. they are easily the most comfortable headphones I have ever owned. You can barely even tell you are wearing headphones.

1 Like

Yeah, it could bring out some low end that is not there much on the 752’s without little eq help. The low end is there, it just doesn’t have much slam to it. give it a slight eq bump and they bump. i would imagine the takstar 82’s are the same way.

Ok, it’s nice that you can get more base with those via eq tunning. From the videos and comments they seem like pretty much the same headphones but it’s true that your 752’s look more interesting in general. As long as they have the accurate imaging it’s great for me :smiley:

The imaging is great. very easy to determine what way footsteps are coming from for instance.

Thank you! Do you know anything about imaging and positional audio in the others?

@Crackem Yep, Takstar Pro 82 or MH751 is the best choice at this price if you need closed back. Bass is actually not good for competitive gaming, as it can mask footsteps and such.
If you can afford it, I would highly, highly recommend also getting the Koss KSC75 headphones. I know they look silly, but hear me out.
You could use these as competitive gaming headphones. The reason being, they may have a low price, but Koss is well known for making silly looking headphones that actually have super high quality drivers in them. These have even more accurate imaging and soundstage than some of the more expensive headphones I have ever tried. Even M0N uses these the most out of all his thousands of dollars of equipment.
I would certainly pick these up as well from Amazon for only $14. They may look weird, but trust me, they beat out many head for this application in the hundreds of dollars prices.
I would go for the Cooler Master or the Takstar Pro 82 that has the bass boost slider on it, and also get these Koss KSC75 for $14. You would still be under budget.

1 Like

I can get the Koss KSC75 or Porta Pro here. The KSC7 are not avaliable, but idk if they are the same. But yeah I might get them if they fit on my budget, they look funny haha.

1 Like

KSC7 are not the same I don’t think. I do know the KSC75 are amazing though! I highly recommend them.

1 Like

yeah out of all those tghe mh 752. or the takstars if you want to save a buck

1 Like

The Audio-Technica ATH-A550Z are pretty good for competitive, but not the most portable

1 Like

Yeah I want to use them in public transport and other spaces. Rest them around my neck and stuff. These doesn’t seem portable enough haha but thanks a lot for the recommendation!

Good thing about the KSC75 is that they are so small they fit in my tiny pockets too lol.

1 Like

Yeah they seem super portable xd, tho probably not much noise isolation. For home use they should be good.

1 Like

So how are these headphones ranked for competitive gaming (imaging, positional audio, etc) form best to worst?

You mean these?

Hmm…
I cannot say for certain, @M0N would know more, but I will say the Takstar Pro 82 and MH751 would be identical since they are the exact same headphones, just different branding.
The M40x are pretty good from what I hear, the stock pads are just not as comfortable as the Takstar models. The Status CB-1 are good, but they do have some durability issues from what I hear. Again, not sure about positional audio on these models, but I do know they are all fairly good. Takstar models would be more comfortable though than the others, without pad changes.
I would PM M0N or ask him about this question, he knows more than I ever will lol.

1 Like

Yes, I know about comfort and build quality from the videos and forums. Takstar and MH are the best in comfort and the m40x’s need pad change for sure, I know because my m50s are not very comfortable haha. Tho HM5 normal pads are 20 euro more and the angled ones that Zeos uses are harder to find and even more expensive here. About the CB-1s I’m concerned about the build quality and that they are not that good for portability imo when you put them around your neck because the pad’s rotation is spring loaded. The main thing i wanna know is the competitive gaming performance side by side.

1 Like

Competitive gaming for under a $100 the takstars or cooler master’s are the way to go

2 Likes