Dac/amp combo for approximately 600$

Hello everyone! I am writing to you, as you need advice on choosing a DAC / amplifier combine. The purchase budget is in the area of $ 600, and to be honest, I am at a loss what to choose to get the most for this money. Headphones used: dt 1990. Main request to get maximum from this money. Sound signature: Clean but not harsh(digital) soud with good bass.

Possible candidates:

1. Monolith by Monoprice Desktop Balanced Headphone Amplifier and DAC with THX AAA Technology.
    Monolith by Monoprice Desktop Balanced Headphone Amplifier and DAC with THX AAA Technology (Dual AKM 4493 DACs & Dual AAA-788 Modules) - Monoprice.com

2. Topping dx7 pro
    DX7 Pro Full Balanced DAC&Headphone Amp-TOPPING

3. Schiit Jotunheim 2 with ak card.

If you have experience with this devices or know which best to get for 500-700 range, please share your opinion.

Thanks

Hello,

Take a look to the Singxer Sda 2 Dac/amp.
Or a Topping E30 with Singxer Sa 1 Headphone amp could be nice.

Maybe the better option as the Monolith.

1 Like

THX sounds dry and too sharp.

DX7 Pro seems very good but at that price, you could buy a dac and an amp separately with better measurements and sound quality.

Schiit Jotunheim 2 or Topping A30pro + S.M.S.L M300 MKII would be the best option imo. J2 if you want warmer and more musical sound, A30pro if you want more neutral sound.

For a combo unit, I think the JDS Labs Element II could be a good choice for $400:

Though if you do change your mind and decide that separate units for your DAC and amp is okay, you might want to take a look at an Archel 2.5 Pro and a Modius for a similar price ($180 + $200):
https://geshelli.com/shop/ols/products/archel2-pro-amp-metal-case
https://www.schiit.com/products/modius

Edit: Also looks like someone’s trying to sell a used Archel/Enog stack in the buy/sell thread for $200, might be worth taking a look:

1 Like

Hamed_Shahrzad, thank you for response, thx dac is thrown away from list. In case of a30 pro, there is almost no reviews and feedbacks about a30 pro/d30 pro products,do you have listening experience with them? This amp can complete Jotunheim in terms of sound? D30 pro is a goos option?

Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you for response, but i owned modius with asgard 3 some time ago,asgard 3 was good, but did not like modius at all.

1 Like

Zeos has just reviewed A30pro and D30pro. Not sure when they will be published in his youtube channel.

D30Pro is just too overpriced for a simple balanced dac. I don’t personally recommend it.

We don’t know for sure If A30pro doesn’t suffer from problems that L30 had (destroying people’s headphones). Buy A30pro with caution.

Just found this: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-a30pro-review-balanced-headphone-amp.20366/page-35#post-747189

Sorry for recommending A30pro. I don’t recommend it lol.

1 Like

Well, then we have;

1. Jotunheim 2 with dac card
  2. Topping dx7 pro
  3. Jds - don’t have an Access to products of this brand.

What about ifi micro idsd black label? Maybe get one used? Black label can be comparable to this dektop units?

Thank you for this advice, i need to gather info about Geshelli.

The question is closed, im found in the shop of used Audio Asgard 3 for 200$(it costs 280$ in our country) and i was able to choose the used dac from three: schiit modius, SMSL su-8 v2, grace sdac. I decided to get Asgard 3 + su 8 v2 as the best match for Asgard from this three, actually i prefer sound of this dac with asgard to aune x8 and allo revolution ( by my memory). Bright dac has very good synergy with smooth Asgard 3, this bingo match, fun to listen. Result is cheap and sound great and very fun to listen. Only for 400$.

Im happy to listen this even after flux fa-10 pro + denafrips ares 2;) I think Asgard 3 signature my personal endgame, i dont need higher and amps:)

3 Likes