DAC Amp for Diana V2 under 500$

There is a channel that i trust a lot when it comes to making audio reviews called the British audiophile, and he said oversampling was unequivocally the better sounding mode. Denafrips Ares II DAC Review - YouTube My findings match his. It’s no contest, no idea what you are on about.

Just saying it’s a preference thing, some prefer NOS some prefer OS, not a fact which is better.

I agree. The oversampling mode was a noticeable improvement with the ares.

1 Like

What did you hear in the nos version that was an improvement? Remember, reducing the soundstage can lead to things sounding more intimate which is personal preference, but it could instead lead to things sounding more congested, which is (pretty definitely) worse. I think you need to listen to resolve over at the headphone show, when he said “there are lots of preferences for sound that are equally valid, but it isn’t unreasonable to say that there are definitively good and bad implementations of those types of sound, that can be judged regardless of your own preference”.

1 Like

Can we not derail the thread further into what makes one filter better than the other? If you want to continue that, there’s the official thread.

2 Likes

yes, sorry.

i meant implementations, my bad.

Like Kron said if you want to discuss this there’s an official thread for it.

EDIT: I have now initiated a discussion here 🔷 Denafrips Ares II - #182 by mochimashu

I beg to differ, that’s one way to look at it and probably overly simplistic. Reducing soundstage could also lead to more accurate imaging and it doesn’t always lead to a more congested soundstage. There are large soundstage but with intimate and forward presentation of sound, and small soundstage but more laid back presentation of sound. I don’t think it’s helpful to make generalised statements like this.

EDIT: as @mynameistoolongforth clarifies below the soundstage is merely an example and does not refer specifically to the Ares II, so apologies the misunderstanding on my part. As I stated in that thread, I do prefer and feel the NOS is a better implementation of various audio qualities and I never intended to dispute that some prefer the OS, so my response was simply that I don’t disagree that there are better implementations but in the case of Ares II I don’t personally find the OS is a better one.

I don’t know if I need to listen to anyone. Whilst the statement you quoted is not wrong, I still see it fundamentally as a preference. If you prefer larger soundstage and dislike a more congested sound then sth can be better or worse for you. If I don’t mind a smaller stage but I want a more accurate imaging then sth also can be better or worse for me. And you don’t know which camp OP or anyone belongs to so all I was saying is that it’s not helpful to state something as if a matter of fact. I don’t think anyone in this hobby (and certainly not reviewers) knows better than anyone to be able to speak the truth or fact.

EDIT: Perhaps it was also my misunderstanding too which I can only apologise for, I did not intend to dispute what implementation is better on the Ares II but simply wanted to point out there are people who prefer or feel either the OS or NOS is a better implementation, hence it is more helpful for the community to make it clear that this is a subjective preference and not an objective fact (as to which is better) and preferences and opinions are equally valid which I have repeated a few times in this thread.

But, let’s not derail the thread further and my point has been made clear: a preference is not a fact and this does not change whoever or how many reviewers you quote because, frankly, I don’t give a shit about them.

EDIT: apologies if I have misunderstood the intention of those who have quoted words/videos of other reviews and my language used, my point was simply that I do not personally think that reviewers’ opinions automatically carry some (and certainly not more) force.

no, you didn’t understand. It is about implementation. That’s why I said “could”. It was merely an example. You completely missed the point entirely and tried to counter it with fallacious citations of what it said like “preference is not a fact” being a counter to what i said, when that actually contradicts nothing I said.

The point i am making is there is a right way to have a small soundstage and a wrong way. What I am NOT saying is anything with a small soundstage (without any analysis of its execution) is bad or even in any way inferior, that’s a preference.

Is this clear enough for you? Feel free to disagree though, and no point digging into it further.

EDIT: @mynameistoolongforth I’ve edited my response above. I was originally under the impression that you were referring to specifically the Ares II since that was the context in which this conversation was in and that you were suggesting the NOS mode has both a smaller soundstage and a worse implementation of a smaller soundstage (which suggests that you felt your preferences, which are subjective, are better, which are objective). I did not want to engage in a discussion about which on the Ares II is better as I believe it would be a) off-topic (but I’ve now initiated a discussion under that thread) b) I personally do believe the NOS is a better implementation which anyone is free to disagree and c) I was not interested in persuading anyone that the NOS is better, hence my initial response as a not-so-friendly reminder that let’s keep preferences as preferences and let anyone decide which they prefer or they think is better. I’ve now understood your point so I apologise for my confrontational tone and would like to know what you feel is a better implementation of audio qualities on the OS mode if you wish to engage in a more discussion under the Ares II thread.

Well you @JeffreyJhons too, except you’re more rude and can’t accept your preference is not a fact and you’re not superior. But if you need to tell yourself your opinion is more valid, that’s your world, not the real world though.

EDIT: this is my original aggressive response intended to, again, point out that I personally think it is fundamentally about preferences and it is more helpful for the forum to keep it that way. Apologies for the language used.

he never said preferences are factual, dude. You just seem to be butt hurt that there is validity in one’s opinions, and not all opinions have the same validity. That’s never not been the case. 🤷

Let’s keep things on topic, please, and move this conversation elsewhere, either to Ares thread, DMs, or some off-topic thread.

2 Likes

In the spirit of the OP’s first post - Here’s a link to a Youtube Video where the Guys from Abyss talk about and rank headphone amps specifically for their headphones. The range is from one side of the scale to the other, but there are a few <=/$500 amps.

Disclaimer: I’m not promoting or endorsing any product, nor am I calling any of them out as wrong. That’s for each to decide on their own.

3 Likes

While waiting to hear from the Flux team I found a store in my area that has a sale on the Burson Conductor 3X Reference which comes out to the same price the Ares II + FA-22 will cost me with shipping.
I found very good reviews on it but couldn’t find a direct comparison.
Does anyone have any experience with it?

Done!
Just ordered both the FA-22 and the Ares II.
Thanks everyone for all the help!

4 Likes

Enjoy :smiley::+1:…but you’ve got to love HFGF… “Dac Amp recs <$500”…and Boom a $1600 solution :joy:

5 Likes

Actually I have only myself to blame. That’s how I ended up with the Diana before I even found HFGF :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Helping people spend mass quantities of dollars is what we’re here for. Glad we could help. :wink:

7 Likes

Nice picks! I know Ares II is solid firsthand and Flux has gained a good reputation quickly. In the long run I think you’ll be glad you put extra money into the source chain. Abyss headphones really benefit from the higher quality. Enjoy!

1 Like