Dan’s Audio Reviews | Rankings, demos, thoughts

Well the 400SE appears to be processing a couple states over from me. I really can’t do anything until that arrives in…hopefully less than a week.

The video could be up as early as two weeks perhaps, maybe less if it arrives sooner.

Gonna upload something before then though.

1 Like

Kinda looking forward to your thoughts on the T2 Pro :grinning:

It will be interesting since it is kinda older and a cheaper IEM to the ones you have so excellently covered on your videos so far.

1 Like

So I’ve listened to it and have this to say about it (notes have also now been copied into the rankings list):

At this point, I feel like I must be doing something wrong with Tinhifi products. For some reason, I keep getting too shrill treble, or too unnatural voicing of the instruments. Before trying this one, I had tried the Tinhifi P1 and the T3.

In this, the T2 Pro, the sound is natural enough, and balanced enough in the bass and mids for my liking, but the treble is way way too shrill for me to tolerate. This is where I feel bad for saying something negative, because I sincerely wonder if I simply have a bad fit or the wrong tips or…something! I mean, I keep reading how people like this brand on the forums, but I’ve not enjoyed the T3 or T2 Pro now. While the T3 had some degree of shrillness that made me unable to enjoy music as fully as I would have liked, the T2 Pro (the one this note here is for) is so overbearingly sibilant that it’s uncomfortable for me to listen to at the volume I want to enjoy my music at.

I tried, I really did. I put these deeper into my ear canal. I tried them just sitting near the entry of my ear canal. I tried Spinfit CP145 tips. I tried Campfire Marshmallow tips. I tried the stock tips that came equipped to the IEM’s in the box. No matter how I tried to situate this set or tip them differently, I could not do anything to reduce the sibilance my ears picked up in the treble range.

Treble differs ear to ear though, so please take my treble problems with a grain of salt. Each of our ears alter treble responses drastically, so your mileage may certainly vary here. I just feel bad that I had to have such a negative experience, with my ears and my tastes. If you enjoy this set, I feel happy for you and wish I could too!

2 Likes

You’re not Alone, dude.

I had the exact same feeling with the T2 (non pro): it pushed sibilance to me. Like you I doubted my ears: how could everyone be so amazed by these T2?! But after having tested 2 sets, I had to admit: the tin T2 were not for me.

I also tested the T4. They were better behaved in that regard, but still more sibilant than, for example, the Aria that have (I was genuinely surprised when I saw that) a really close frequency response.

Maybe with close analysis of frequency graph we could see a peak we are sensitive to. Maybe it is something else. But at least your feedback is not useless: we are at least 2.

Furthermore, informing your viewers about this particular sensitivity can help them interpret your future feedbacks.

2 Likes

When I first got the Tin T2 (non pro) i was using the stock foam tips and a lot of pressure would build up and the sibilance was very high. I didn’t care for the stock silicone tips either and they didn’t seem to tame the sibilance, although the pressure was reduced. Switched over to the Final Audio type e tips and they are much better. Perhaps a little burn in time helped as well.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing! Looking at their graphs, T2 Pro and T3 - they look very similar towards the higher frequencies so I don’t think you are wrong. And seems consistent with the “shrill treble” you are noticing :sweat_smile:

I didn’t mind the T2(non pro) but agree with @Erokh, it was probably overhyped? It had great mids but without some kind of “bass boost” I couldn’t enjoy much of my general musical taste. I enjoyed the soundstage and imaging on them though. Probably wonder if there is a 2021 alternate/version of T2(<$150), I think I’d be curious somewhat :thinking:

1 Like

Tinhifi T4

The other Tinhifi, besides the P1, that reaches the “B” tier of enjoyment for me. That is, these are enjoyable enough to listen to for me for much of my music, though not stellar nor unenjoyable in any particular respect. These are simply decent.

At first, I had a terrible time with these - just trying to fit them in right with the stock tips. I had to push them all the way into my ear canal to feel like I had a proper seal, and even then they felt not quite right (I had to addtionally push on them into my ear with my fingers, and keep holding that push with my fingers, to enjoy the deeper bass that were coming out of these).

After fiddling with them in my ear awhile, I gave up and tried Campfire Audio’s Marshmallow tips, my trusted tips for correcting any issues with seal on some IEM’s. With these foam tips on, I could finally enjoy some consistency in the seal/sound without involvement from my hands to fiddle around or hold the set in my ears the whole time.

The sound that came out of these seemed much much less sibilant or “shrill” than the T2 Pro and the T3. These T4’s really did lower the treble enough for me to finally not feel bothered. I could just listen to my music without discomfort. So how do these actually sound to me? Well, decent in that there are no harsh areas to bother me. Also, there is enough bass to enjoy a “full” sound. Then in the mids though, while not entirely recessed still feel a bit like I was searching for something more. It’s hard to put my finger on it, but let’s take some examples.

In the vocal tracks on my playlist (like the “Hurt” cover by Youn Sun Nah), I didn’t hear the voices pierce through me in that oh so wonderful way I feel connected when listening to better balanced set. Perhaps there was a tad too much warmth for me - my arch nemesis, the too high bass/low mids. At times where I just wanted to hear a pristine voice against a clean and clear backdrop, instead I heard a female voice sing behind a constant warm humm.

And, once again with Tinhifi, there is this general sense with the music that some instruments just don’t hit me with the authenticity of real life, the forwardness of a drum or hit I expect, that altogether makes me ever wanting more. It would almost sound like I should give this set a lower score, like a “C” or a “D,” but somehow I can only bring myself to give it a B- for enjoyment. I think this is because, as I write this note, despite those things that I wish I had more or better presence of, I still feel like I could listen to these and enjoy them to some degree or another. It’s really close though. At any moment I may just talk myself into putting these at C+…hmmm. Yea. Sorry past me, this is not very enjoyable. Gotta be honest! Down to C+ it goes, mid-write-up.

1 Like

You’re not alone bro. I’m done with Tin.

There are so many other brands and products out there that I prefer so much more. Why spend your time, effort and money on something that is just not for you?

Keep the honesty coming. Loving it!

1 Like

disclaimer: This unit was sent to me as a review unit. I still have to return it though, and I was not paid any money for trying it out, but I should mention that I got the unit loaned to me anyway

Enjoy the review of the Xduoo MT-604 ($170) with a sound demo of it, along with comparisons with the Drop THX 789 and the Xduoo TA-30 ($700).

To sum up, I totally recommend going cheaper if your only priority is sound quality. Because…I cannot tell the difference between the two amps (apart from the more expensive TA-30 having more rolling potential since it has a rectifier while the 604 does not).

If you want bluetooth or filter adjustments, or a pre-existing tube collection that fits the larger sockets of the TA-30, then you may still prefer the TA-30.

Big caveat though with the cheaper 604, it has independent R/L channel volume knobs. So, that can be better or worse for you if you are ok adjusting them independently to adjust your volume. On the plus side, it means you can fix any channel imbalances your gear may have!

Hifiman showdown video may be happening soon!

2 Likes

Looking forward to this. I currently have Sundaras and keep trying to decide where else I want to go in their line.

2 Likes

there’s already a v2? is it just a better cable or something else?

1 Like

To be honest, I’m not sure. I haven’t done much research yet into what went into it.

Just found out this thread!

Waiting for you full review on Xenns UP and Oxygen! or did I miss it?

1 Like

yeah im over here wondering V2 is out already…?

Im guessing cable and pads

Honestly, these look pretty good! (HE400se V2). Nowhere on the packaging can I see where it says “V2,” but I suppose it’s an unspoken revision?

Interesting how even the manual suggests burning in, for 150 hours!

There’s also a little sheet that states what the “stealth” magnets benefit in the sound. Supposedly clearer sound waves, with less diffractions. We’ll see!

What is my life! Hifiman showdown incoming

3 Likes

I think V2 just refers to the updated cable they swapped out for that crappy silver one. Or alternatively, maybe they meant the International version instead of the Chinese version.

1 Like

Already shared in the Mangird Tea thread, but sharing again here for people who don’t follow literally every thread out there!

My Mangird Tea is coming :slight_smile:

1 Like