Dan’s Audio Reviews | Rankings, demos, thoughts

Burning the midnight oil, picking an IEM to edit with, and hear for differences in Hifiman headphones for my big comparison video.

3 Likes

Tea time!

4 Likes

Great video as always Dan!

Before you give your final, final impressions, we should chat.

Love the comparisons with the Oxygen and Up. You did a great job describing how the Up sounds. I’ve described it as the vocals being pushed back and the instruments brought up in the mix and it is so warm that it is almost like swimming in thick warm goo. But the Up pulls this off because the beryllium DD allows the dynamics/transients to hit through somehow.

I enjoy listening to the Up, but I would only rec it as a companion IEM to something like the MEST MKII because it is so different and fun sounding. Same as the Variations/Monarch.

As you know, looking forward to your HIFIMAN shootout!

OOPS! I forgot to give your video a thumbs up. I’ll go do that now. Thanks!

1 Like

I’m always willing to talk with people about this stuff :slight_smile: Chat away! (here or privately or what-have-you)

Thanks for sharing the kind feedback/agreements.

Totally, the UP makes for a good companion more for its uniqueness in the high tier arena of the MEST, but on its own can be way too warm for some to solely listen to.

Hifiman shootout is so close. The most editing I’ve had to do simply because of how many different items there were to cut back and forth to! Some surprising results let me tell you! Can’t wait to share it all :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a LOT of experience with the Tea and comparing it to all of my sets. It actually is the baseline if I’m thinking of selling a set, The Tea is the set I compare it to and if it doesn’t stand up to the Tea in some way, I have to let it go. Long story short, I’ve let a lot of sets go. :wink:

Take your time with it and enjoy it, but before you put up a final video, if you’re interested, I’d love to share my perspective and impressions for owning it as long as I have. I hope my impressions and some back and forth could only improve your review. But totally get it if that’s not your style. You’ve probably ready everything I’ve written about it anyway so whatever. Just throwing it out there if you’d like to discuss!

1 Like

Yea feel free to share your insights gained from your experiences :slight_smile:

As much or as little as you care to share.

When a full review is made, it’ll help to have perspectives in mind.

1 Like

Hifiman showdown is uploaded to YouTube! Just waiting for HD to process. Could be a day or two.

I’m pumped to see what you all think when you hear this showdown :slight_smile:

3 Likes

2 Likes

dude ive been waiting for this since you told me about it. really need to know which to get from the video

1 Like

I can tell you which one I liked the most, right now, if you like.

Or wait to hear the demo/review :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just EQed my HE400se for the first time yesterday, and SHEESH it GUUD. The whole bass and attack got a decent punch upgrade.

And I’ve also been waiting for the comparison anxiously since you’ve announced it dammit :star_struck:

1 Like

I couldn’t help myself. Published! I can’t wait for HD to process!

6 Likes

yes tell me or did you in video. going to watch right now!

1 Like

Favorite is…drumroll

4XX!

Tied close by with X4 and 400se

3 Likes

Interesting, the X4 was one of the ones I was probably attracted to the most style wise, not a big fan of the 400 SE style adjustment. (The inband one, these names are really really annoying btw)

Well if I ever want to get one I will have to find a used copy or see if amazon is selling it like some of the other Drop items.

I got my grills. Mod is done! I love this headphone.

EDIT: Watching the video now. I don’t believe in sound demos of gear.

2 Likes

OK, after listening my list went like this: 2>4>5>1>3>6.

#3 definitely could hear a slight channel imbalance right off the bat. #6 keeps wanting to go to the shrill side of timbre…

I’m surprised that the HE-X4 performs that well given its lowest price tag among the bunch. Also surprised HE400se falls in the lower half of my list, but I’m still enjoying it very much. The HE400se, even in your recording, has a unique vocal intimacy almost ASMR tingly timbre which is in my alley. Still love my 400se for this!

1 Like

That setup looks so tasteful, as always Res!

1 Like

loved the comparisons and it kinda lines up with how some of them scale better with more powerful amps. the 400se isn’t super power hungry like the he6se but it scales really well like the he6se does. great video and keep them up!

1 Like

Thanks again Dan! Really enjoying your videos.

Was really surprised by your final ranking+thoughts on the hifiman series :sweat_smile:

By any chance, could you recommend 1 or 2 of those sets which in your opinion has the widest soundstage with decent imaging+separation?