Death Metal (recommendations and discussion)

we definitely need a metalcore/deathcore thread

2 Likes

Here’s a few of my favorites I’ve been listening to recently. I tend to prefer technical and melodic death metal.

The Black Dahlia Murder

Archspire

Eluveite

3 Likes

Right on! Black Dahlia is a rare great example of both those genres.

Obscura is one of those records for which I’m rarely in the mood for a front-to-back listen, but in small doses man does this record deserve its status. No one else has done tech-death this good imo

I’m not as into melodeath, but Surgical Steel I think has been getting overlooked in the best metal of the decade retrospectives.

1 Like

Just listened to the FIRST Soilwork album and I’m impressed. I think I’ll buy it. Sounds more or less like old In Flames (well duh, swedish death metal). Still, I was expecting something a lot more “radio friendly”, but (heh, like In Flames) they became “radio friendly” after 2-3 CDs.

Interesting for me because I only knew some of their songs from Natural Born Chaos.

Absolutely nothing bad about “radio friendly”, by the way (lol, radio friendly death metal? no, that was not the correct words…) Anyway: I bought In Flames - Colony, Clayman, Tokyo Showdown, and I want Reroute to Remain too.

Seriously. Who played F-Zero X?

1 Like

Yeah, I often forget that Soilwork made their name as a legit Swedish melodeath band. Their mid-career work was what I knew them for in high school, and it’s probably what led me to better bands through youtube recommendations / searching other bands in Nuclear Blast’s roster

1 Like

Great bands, but only Dragged Into Sunlight is death metal. So on the note of great death/doom, how about diSEMBOWELMENT, huh lads?

1 Like

I heard “Natural Born Chaos” in high school too. Now, like, 15 years later, I’m surprised by their first albums.

It’s funny how we discover good music “from 20 years ago”, sometimes.

1 Like

Yeah no worries - I’m not gonna tell someone to find another thread if their post contains at least some death metal. And yeah I guess D666 has some death in em, I just usually think of them as a black/thrash band. Horrendous, though, wow! Love that band! Do you like their new one?

1 Like

You might be interested by Allegaeon. Especially this CD.

1 Like

Also, Exodus - Exhibit A/B…
I call that “Progressive Thrash Metal”.

Wow - it looks like we’re on very different wavelengths. I think a good majority of the best music there is was made in the past few decades, and, while many bands I like make very technically dizzying songs, instrumental talent is one of the last attributes I look for.

For example! This hard-as-nails death metal/hardcore hybrid I can’t get enough of:

I don’t want to get ahead of myself because it just came out today, but the new Tomb Mold is kind of perfect? Like possibly an all-time great? First impressions can be a fuck but it’s definitely a great record.

Agreed - but that to me adds a challenge to find the truly great stuff through all the noise. And I log all the stuff I love on rateyourmusic to discourage me from forgetting about it after a week :relaxed:

Good interview with Tomb Mold’s lead guy

Maggot Stomp is bringing the heat this year. Great, brittle-sounding brutal death. Production and vocals kind of sound like Demilich.

Don’t listen to much DM anymore but really hot on this record.

I don’t like a ton of death metal (honestly don’t really like a ton of any sub-genre, i just love metal) but this is probably my favorite death metal album in recent memory. Love this thread though an cannot wait to listen to a ton of these bands that i have never heard!!

1 Like

TGIAC is black metal but yeah they’re pretty tight!

:open_mouth: This is hard. I follow Dark Descent too so this must’ve slipped through the cracks. Thanks for posting it!

Also I love Paolo Girardi artwork :heart_eyes: My fav is this Artificial Brain one:

1 Like