Decisions are painful for the indecisive, so I need help

Oh, I’m definitely planning to try out the Phoenixes once I can start using open backs. When it comes to open and semi open cans, I have a nice list and plan to get most, if not all, of them.

Who’s to say that the QC dust hasn’t already settled? I know there are other options and even listed my first decision, but I can’t think of a better deal than what I found… Unless I just decide to go with the ifi Zen DAC/Amp combo for $130. Idk, if I don’t get the L30+E30, then I’ll look at other options. I just think that Topping wouldn’t be so incompetent that the problem could still persist after they already claimed to have fixed it. They’d lose all credibility as a company to push out “fixed” units that are still problematic.

that’s not how real life works, actions speak louder than words by not paying for peoples headphones they damaged thru negligence they are saying it can happen again on this model or in the future and they don’t give a single fuk, if it was a fixed cost they would have paid to not shit on their entire name brand

or maybe I am wrong and corporations are warm and cuddly and don’t put money over everything

Money IS everything to companies, hence why fixing this problem and saving face is the most important thing to them. If they lose face, then they lose costumers, and then they end up going bankrupt or being bought by another company.

$100-130 iirc.

good devils advocate, that’s true for the record I think your safe, smart, and will be fine, I am just an annoying prick who can’t help it (not being funny, my lawyer told me I should become a lawyer that;s how I ended up working in law)

1 Like

I don’t understand why you’re acting like this, I’m just trying to ask for help with a decision. There’s no need for you to act immature, use sarcasm to insult me, and then randomly insert an appeal to pity fallacy that is irrelevant to the topic at hand.

I’m not being a devil’s advocate for I’m not trying to promote debate or discourse, I’m just stating what I believe to be true. All I ever said was that I doubt the newer L30 amps will have the same issues as the first batch since Topping would lose all credibility as a distributor of products like the L30, A50s, A90, etc. I never insulted you or your decision to not support Topping as a company anymore, I never voiced support for Topping as a company, and I never dismissed the fact that their products caused damages to their customers. Sorry if it somehow hurts you to know that people are still willing to buy from Topping, but not everyone is willing to completely dismiss an entire line of products just because one had QC issues. Companies like Glorious have had multiple QC issues with their mice and keyboards, but after they fixed those issues, people bought them and enjoyed them, so why can’t I do the same with Topping’s products?

3 Likes

@tehmasterer you’re being condescending, sorry

It’s also rather annoying to see your thread getting off track with debates like that.

I think going with a warm signature would be a good idea. DT 770 can be a little peaky.
Voting Meze 99

3 Likes

Hello,
@Tehmasterer he seems to have a very strange immature attitude.ignore his postings they don’t have much to contribute.
Possibly teasing out envy and other personal issues.
He is just trolling a bit and will leave soon.

Back to the topic.
The targeted L30 is really not recommended.
You can read a lot about it here if you search for it or at Asr.
Apart from that they are really not safe and can destroy the headphones even after revision.
The work delivered is not good.

So go for the Schiit Magni or Jds Atom if you can.
A very good combination, based on your choice of headphones, would be the Topping E30 with the Schiit Asgard 3.
There are not bad things to say about the Topping E30, which once had problems that were corrected correctly.

The L30 costs $150, add the $50 for the Asgard 3 and you have peace and gaming pleasure.
And also enough power for the planar headphone choice you made.

Here the threath about the L30

1 Like

no no, you are just sensitive, not reading that, I am being very nice now, and honestly my goal is not to piss people off, it’s always good to raddle the cage but I really am not here to hurt your feels so I’m just leave, have a nice thread bud

k, like ur opinion, not reading that, what I just posted to the other guy applies to you as well, have a nice thread!

Yeah, I’m used to YouTube, Reddit, and all the other places with these types of people. Was just hoping to see less of it here, hence why I made this thread here rather than on some subreddit. Always best to not waste time on them, but I don’t mind it usually since it at least allows me to get some typing in to raise my WPM without using boring sites. Now as you said, back to the actual topic.

With so many recommendations against the L30 and hearing that Topping seems to not care whether they actually lose face in this entire ordeal by doing the “repair” that was pictured in the L30 damage thread… I guess that deal I found really isn’t worth it no matter what, which sucks since I thought it’d be a nice placeholder stack until I could get my hands on an A90 and a balanced DAC to pair it with. I guess now my best bet is to either find another placeholder like the iFi Zen DAC/amp or just go all in and get a stack that I won’t need to replace for years, whether that will still be the A90 or if it’ll be something like the SMSL SH-9 I’m not so sure. Now I feel indecisive on both my headphone choice and stack choice…

2 Likes

Back last November, I was basically trying to decide between getting the DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm and the Meze 99, so I kind of find it funny that it’s basically circled back to that with your recommendation. And to agree with you, after everything I’ve seen, I feel like the DT 770 would be a bad choice since it seems to be very hit or miss for people and I honestly feel like I’d just be buying a superior version of what I already own, my HyperX Cloud II (yes, it’s technically based off the Takstar Pro 80, not the DT 770, but I still can’t help but feel like they’d be too similar). Of course, I doubt the sound signature will be similar, it’s just that it seems like I wouldn’t really be upgrading if I got them for some reason. Like some weird feeling in me that makes me feel like they’ll sound too similar to my mediocre “gaming” headphones and that it’d be a waste of money. With Amazon, that’s not as much of a worry, and I know I should really take advantage of that for testing headphones, but instead I’m here asking strangers for help.

-- you can ignore this reply, it's just me typing my thoughts at 6 AM --

Honestly, if I could get my hands on the Argons, I don’t even think this thread would have been started since I’d just get those and an A90 and be done until I can finally enjoy some open backs. Sadly, I don’t see the Argons being a viable option unless I stumble upon someone willing to part with their pair or in some far off future when Ryan from Mod House can finally reopen sales for them. I put the Aeon Closed X second on the list because I felt like those would be the highest quality pair of closed back headphones for under $500 while the Argons are unavailable, but didn’t just go ahead with buying them since they only recently came out and have had zero input from reviewers yet (but buying them won’t be a huge risk since they’re new and have many potential buyers from people unable to get items shipped to their country from Drop). I have the Meze 99 as 3rd on my list since, from what I’ve seen and heard from reviewers and customers, they’re perfectly fine for what they’re meant to do at their price point, even if the subbass and bass can bleed into the mids. I put the Audeze headphones under the Meze 99 because I’m not sure whether they’re worth the cost for the sound they provide, even with the deals I’ve seen for $300. I then put the DT 770 and MMX 300 at the #5 spot on my list because I’ve seen both amazing reviews and bad reviews for the DT 770 and I haven’t seen enough reviews for the MMX300 to really be able to know much about them. As I said earlier, the DT 770 fills me with a dread of them sounding similar to my current headset that’s definitely not rated as “audiophile.” And with the MMX 300, the fact that it’s marketed as a gaming headset just doesn’t sit well with me since that’s exactly what I’m trying to get away from. Finally, I have the Ethers at the bottom because I’m not sure if paying $800 for the 1.1 edition or $900 for the CX edition would be worth it in the end when I already know I can find open backs that sound better for less than half the price. That, and because I feel like the Aeon RT/Closed X could probably sound better for $400 less… well, not like I’d know without actually hearing them. Jeez, this post ended up just being an example about how indecisive I am and a waste of time for anyone who read it… Sorry to anyone who actually read this since it’s almost 6 AM and I haven’t gotten any sleep. Good thing my job doesn’t require manual labor, haha.

Not sure if this is still an option, but couldn’t you buy the Fostex T50RP, try them with the Shure SRH1540 earpads (while you’re at it) and then send it to Ryan for modding? Who knows, you might love the T50RP with the alcantara pads already.

2 Likes

I second that suggestion. It would also be nice for you to feel the unmodded T50RP, then see how the argon sounds like.

1 Like

I’ll probably do that when I’m able to use open backs since, iirc, the modding Ryan does makes them closed backs without decimating the sound signature. Of course I could try modding them myself by changing the pads and using tape or something to seal the vents and such, but that’d turn them into a mess of bass (who knows, I might like that though). I think I’ll definitely buy myself a pair of T50RP Mk3s and/or T60RPs at some point, whether Ryan is still modding them or not, but I don’t think now is the right time for that sadly.

After deliberation, I’ve basically come to a point now to were I can narrow down the 8 choices to just 2 now. I don’t think paying $800 or more for the Ether C Flow 1.1 (or $900 for the Ether CX) is a smart choice at this point in time, even if I can financially handle it without worry. I know Beyers are loved in this community, but I don’t think I should get them for this initial purchase just because of how it seems to be a very mixed opinion on whether they’re good or not. Of course, with the DT 770, I could padswap to dampen the peaky high ends and even shove some paper towel into the earcups, but I feel like getting them can wait for when I’m more engrossed in this hobby. With the MMX 300, I could ignore the mic completely and treat it as a purely audiophile pair of headphones, but I’ve still only seen on review that shows them as being an amazing pair of cans, and I’m not sure if that amazingness is worth the $300 I could spend on something even more amazing. Then the Audeze EL-8C are getting knocked off because I just don’t know if they’re what I’d want since I just can’t find enough info on them to see them as a good candidate. I mean, sure, they’re priced at $700 most of the time, but have been known to sell for $300 and I can even buy one cheaper than that if I do it today, but considering that no one really talks about them just makes me feel like it’d be a waste of time, especially since I wouldn’t be able to return them if I did buy them. Finally, with the last post I made, I can remove the Argons off my list since I’ll probably just do what I detailed there and get some T50RP MkIIIs at some point after I can get open backs and then get them modded by Ryan from Mod House after hearing the stock sound so I know what both forms sound like.

Now, that leaves me with these two:

• Meze 99 Noir
  • Drop + Dan Clark Aeon Closed X (Drop’s Aeon RT)

With the Meze 99, I’ve seen mostly amazing reviews and recommendations here and there for them, but also some complaints regarding the subbass bleed and a few other complaints I can’t remember off the top of my head. Since I’m not looking for an analytical sound signature, I’m not sure if that subbass bleed would actually be something I’d care about, especially since I’m probably used to worst things having only used mediocre or crappy headphones all my life (not including the more expensive IEMs I’ve gotten in the hopes they’d last longer than 3 months).
With the Aeon, I’d basically just be getting the first Aeon that Dan Clark/Mr Speaker made, but retuned (Aeon RT) and then retuned even more(?) by Drop. Of course, the first Aeon closed back got pretty good reviews, the Aeon RT got one good review (since not many people got them I guess), and the Aeon 2 closed got absolutely amazing reviews from what I’ve seen. Now I’m not expecting the Aeon Closed X to be able to compete with the Aeon 2, or even with the likes of Ether C Flow, Verite, or other very high end closed back headphones, but I am expecting them to be the best option I can take to get as close to high end in this price range while being closed back and not open back (if only I could get closed backs, this would be so much easier since I could just get the 58X Jubilee, Zeus, and/or Phoenix and be able to branch off from there).

So yeah, another wall of text, but this time I finally went somewhere with it rather than just going in a circle about it like an idiot. Well, I’m still being an idiot, just in a different way now.

1 Like

I think the Two phones would works good with the Asgard 3 as Amp.When you buy the Asgard.
Or do you have see another amp?

I found a quote at Drop:
Dan Clark Audio confirmed that the headphones are the same except for the naming. Going forward this product will be exclusive to Drop will only be available through Drop for the foreseeable future.

Can’t comment on either the Meze 99 or the Aeon closed, but my impression is, that you get a more “well rounded” headphone with the Aeon.
Bass is fun & nice, but after a while you might be looking for something more balanced to hear the mids a little better or more detail/quality in bass instead of quantity.

That’s just my uneducated guess tho.