Desk speaker recommendations?

Besides felts being excellent for controlling standing waves and reflections etc…helping with acoustical reflections… they stop my head and neck getting burnt in hot sun here lol. They are either made or customized by wife and I…Sorry for off-topic…back to thread…lol :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :joy:

edit: thanks for kind words above @TimpTim44
Cheers Wolf

1 Like

here we go!

1 Like

…deleted post/wrong spot sorry. :upside_down_face:

The Vanatoo Transparent Zero is what I use in my current setup for powered speakers. I have been pretty happy with them.

Vanatoo Transparent Zero Powered Speakers (Black, Set of 2) Amazon.com

1 Like

One more to checkout is the iLoud micro monitors. You can usually get them between $200 and $300. I don’t have much to compare them against. But I enjoyed them so much I spent the extra $$$ to upgrade to the iLoud MTMs (to get room correction). The little micro monitors have surprisingly good bass response and fantastic imaging. And they scale surprisingly well with better DAC and pre-amp.

3 Likes

I actually bought iLouds from @elementze – I don’t use them much, but they are great to have for those occasions. Cheap enough and don’t take up much space. Sound quality is miles ahead of the built in Mac speakers. So, they fit my needs well. Plus, mine came with a sweet Sasquatch sticker!

3 Likes

:rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

Glad you like the speakers, and even more happy that Sasquatch didn’t get pulled off!

1 Like

welp, just checked that and they are gone already lol are klipsch worth going for? Not sure on their sound

Quite the amount of speaker recommendations though, highly appreciated.

Curious if this would be better then the Klipsch though like the pro media… as some of them are similar in pricing and they are about the same in terms of sizing.

The more I thought about it, the more I figure yeah just go with 2 speakers but I definitely will prefer to have them just be powered speaker

well from edifier I see the s2000 mkiii with bluetooth is within budget too since its on sale… have any opinion on that? Actually could probably take that further by used market when I think about it…

I had the s2000 on my desk and they were massively boomy, cause they’re huge and back ported, unless your desk is huge you probably want something smaller, I always just recommend either the iloud micro or the vanatoo t0 for desk use.

I think edifier added a sub out to their whole entry line though so I’d look into that too…

I haven’t seen this complaint, can others verify this issue? If it’s boomy that’s a pass… more balanced sound or slight v shape. I just saw them in budget and thought they looked incredibly nice for the desk well that and those klipsch that were recommended above

Haven’t decided on set length but between 6 and 7 feet length around 32 inch depth

That is interesting I’ll have to look

I ended up moving the s2000 to the living room, much nicer there, they don’t even need a sub imo, so on a desk against the wall and etc I’d go for something smaller and/or move the bass down to a sub…

YU Passive!

hmm, I think those would have to plug into my amp right?

What’s different about these compared to the YU3 and 4?

I am honestly thinking about ordering this for another room can always try it at the desk but these speakers would fit really nicely in another setup I have(much larger room)

They don’t even look like much yet have extremely good reviews and are well regarded amongst the audiophile community, I just don’t like the aesthetic they appear on the desk… I could probably get them for my laptop though for when I am more on the go, I think that would work yea? Just not so much at the desk for me personally

At this point I might be checking the Klipsch 600m and those yu and S2000 for the setup though… Between the aesthetic matching the room, the reviews, and price I definitely like the idea of having them as a potential choice… I know the Klipsch require an amplifier though… I think the asgard should be enough for if anyone wants to clarify on this?

just the YU Passive… they need an amp.

I think the klipsch do as well… not a pre amp but an actual amp. Got a good recommendation?

What sound signature is the Yu anyway? I am reading neutral is that right?

Yes for powered speakers. Id go these route since you already have a preamp.
Just add speakers and play.

the amp to go with depends on how much you are willing to budget for one.

I suggested this particular Klipsch as in discussions with MON, I found he thinks well of them. why? because they are very placement forgiving if your space isn’t optimal. they also have good micro / macro dynamics at lower volumes and are amp friendly too; meaning it doesn’t need to be the best to sound good. much depends on the audio chain, but I believe these respond well to warm sounding hw.

that is why they are on my short list…but for the $899 CAD list price. :frowning:

regarding amps, check Z’s reviews…I know he’s done some from brands known for headphone gear, not stereo and likes what he heard.

of course, watch USAM for deals too!

you talking about the 600m? I can get those for like $300 new over here hence I am considering them as I am sure I can probably get a good amp for like $200 to support them if not cheaper

I don’t really plan to go nuts with speakers like I do my headphones so around $200 max would be the budget for that

1 Like

hey Fal, take a look at the plethora of amps from SMSL and Topping. no idea on their MSRP…so I’d look them up, check fore reviews and then see if any of these are on the used market for a better price.

also, you’re in the US, right? how the hell can you get the RP-600M for $300 new when I’m $899 CAD?

Discounts, knowing some people, other horse shittery. Same reason why I am able to get and try so many headphones. They are like… $450 - $550 normally but even so used is still like $300 as well off places like ebay… not really that hard to find.

I have some bad experiences with those amps and there nasty habit of being sterile as all hell and sucking the life out of my music. Not sure on speaker wise but still… to say I am rather hesitant on those is an understatement personally speaking. Mainly Topping in that regard