Desk speaker recommendations?

gotcha…but that is why I said to look up reviews and get a picture of the zeitgeist of models that catch your eye. I have seen Topping have may missteps but cannot think of any bad words for SMSL.

the reason I pointed these out is due to their smaller size. there will be some good full size options…but that’s full sized and undesirable for a a desk scenario. though…I guess you could probably mount it under the desk and tuck it away or perhaps stand it on it’s side like a SFF PC or…something. :slight_smile:

edit - also…if’n you investigate the 600M’s more and can get them at $300, might be worth my while to pay for shipping up to me :stuck_out_tongue:

I mean, if there was a unit thats like the same size as the bifrost 2 for example… that’d be killer since I can stack the whole setup.

That is another interesting idea… it’d only be worth doing this if the unit had like a remote to control it or something right? Less its all controlled from the pc itself

I am rather curious on alot of the models from the brands available in this regard… as long as they can drive speakers around that price of $500 then I am happy. Doesn’t need to be super expensive… just not trash. With speakers I tend to lean towards specific signatures(if you use audeze then you know what sound I like to relax with especially if you have the lcd-2 well that or like… HD 660s) and I prefer the amp to compliment the signature.

1 Like

you might want to post on r/BudgetAudiophile and see what comes up as small but capable amps to power the 600M :slight_smile:

Could do that, could also potentially go pester M0N again :joy:

1 Like

ALL HAIL TEH M0N!!!

ohmmm… ohmmm… ohmmm

You can skip all that with powered monitors.

I mean, I do plan to try the recommendations posted here so whichever comes out on top. Would absolutely prefer powered monitors(wish those klipsch were powered) but will buy an amp if I really need to.

1 Like

Well they have 6" powered monitors but the price just goes up. A Lot More.

Klipsch has several powered at different price ranges, you may already know.

So does JBL and many others. Kinda missed the point there. A lot.

Are these speakers going to be for mixing or just listening to music? I feel like powered monitors are a little boring usually. I really like my A7x and all for ripping tracks apart, but I don’t use them for listening usually unless I’m trying to find something in a song but even then I have way more capable headphones for finding micro detail so I just use passive speakers for listening most of the time.

Also the Burson Funk is astoundingly good for a nearfield (with v6 vivids in it) and if you have a passive preamp you can feed it 4v safely (and without clipping) through the RCA and have effectively double the advertised power (if you’re going by volume) and power literally any speaker. I bought mine for $420ish as an open box with the upgraded opamps and I gotta say, the thing is funking incredible and is a pretty decent headphone amp for convenience. Every single pair of bookshelf speakers I’ve plugged into it suddenly came to life like when my Parasound A21+ does to them but with more character from the slight coloration that the v6 vivid opamps have and I absolutely can’t emphasize how good of a value the Funk is at a used (or even new) price. I’d rather listen to the pair of cheap Jamo S803s (that I kinda miss now that I gave them to my buddy) through the Funk than my A7x’s from my DAC (though using a Soloist for preamp color on the A7x is pretty damn solid).

Yep, noticed that… rather bothersome which is why I contended later on the idea of just getting an amp at that point since price vs performance id save money while getting great performance all the same potentially better. 150m and 600m have quite the reputation

no, use case is for things like movies, music, etc just casual uses

I still haven’t bothered with this brand… and I really feel like I am missing something here, I need to sit and give their stuff a shot at some point.

i should have sent you my funk with the edition XS…damn. i could have lived without it for a couple weeks lol.

I can’t find the brand like… anywhere is why i haven’t been able to sit with it… hell I had to take a big shot in the dark when it came to violectric and soekris… I only have whats available after all

Though, no worries man … not that big of a deal.

hey Fal, this best of list for stereo amps has good words on the SMSL AD 18 that easily fits your $200 budget.

oh yeh, there are also several amp from Dayton too look at

I will take a look thanks

also need to find a small cheap set of speaker stands so I can properly set the tweeters height

Lots of nice options here. Lemme just throw out one more possibility. I have been running a SMSL DA-9 amp since Christmas (got a killer deal, 212 bucks!) and so far I have been very happy with it. That amp is powering Triangle Borea BR02 speakers, which I have also been very happy with. For casual listening, It’s a very good option.

Having said that, if I had to do it again I would have stuck to my guns and bought either the XTZ Edge A2-300 or the SMSL SA400. But those 2 are $500 and $650 respectively, which was a bit too much for me to do at the time. But the DA-9 is a great little amp for the money. No regrets for picking that up at all.

I have the Klipsch THX 2.1 system that I bought from Costco and the clarity, especially plugged into a good amp, is outstanding. I really enjoy them. The subwoofer really thumps too. It’s got a lot of kick for such a small thing. They are my favorite speakers in the house.

2 Likes

welcome to HFG, phoggy!

question…isn’t the Klipsch 2.1 a powered kit? did you mean to say DAC instead of amp?

Correct. It sounds better through a proper DAC, although the ones I plugged into happened to be DAC/Amps, so… Anyway, it sounds better than the headphone jack on my PC. These speakers image very well and you do not need a center channel. Sounds seem to come from a “ghost” speaker in the middle. They produce a nice surround effect, even without software.