Desk speaker recommendations?

good stuff. in case you didn’t know, when you are using a powered connection like from a computer / tablet / phone, you need to set the system volume to maximum and then use the powered speakers volume control as the master.

and your combo unit…did you go from the line level output or the actual headphone jack?

it’s crazy how old those speakers are…I remember them being the rage back in 2005!

I have an Ifi Zen DAC and Zen Can amp that I plug into. Neither one has a 3.5mm line out so have to plug into the headphone output. I just keep the amp on low gain, and keep the Klipsch speakers at 12:00 on that volume dial and use the knob on the amp as the master. The Zen amp control is bigger and more comfortable anyway. I just purchased these new about 6 months ago, but I didn’t know they had been around for so long. It’s no surprise, they are pretty great desk speakers!

hey Phoggy, the Zen DAC has two RCA out that are line level. you’re probably using them to plug into the CAN, so to get around that, buy a 4.4mm pentacon m/m cable and make a balanced connection between them and then use the line outs to your powered speakers.

1 Like

Why not plug/use them directly from PC / Mobile? That is what they designed to do. How they should be used.
i just have a terrible feeling something is done that is possible connection wise and that should not be done… and it’s hurting my brain.

q150’s are nice, but i wouldnt use them on a desk. they get boomy as all get out just sniffing a wall. i have mine 2 1/2 feet from the wall, and still plug the ports.

unless your desk is in the middle of the room, i wouldnt suggest larger woofers. muddy bass in your face when you use large woofers on a desk near a wall.

the offerings for powered speakers under 500$/pair these days make its hard to recommend any passives in the price range.

I actually do use a 4.4mm Pentaconn cable for the CAN, but I didn’t think about using the RCAs on the back of the DAC with a 3.5mm adapter. I did that, and it works great with the speakers. Now I don’t have to keep unplugging them to use the 3.5mm headphone jack.

1 Like

I can do that but it sounds better through the DAC.

1 Like

glad to have been of service! :grin:

1 Like

Wanted to update this, not the biggest fan of the micros there however, I did get the edifier… mind that I was told they are boomy… this is the S2000 MK III and they actually lack a bit in terms of bass… after reading up on it, it seems the pro version has much better bass(a bit too much) however MK III can get a sub added. Not honestly sure which is better though… could use some insight from anybody who has tried these…

As for the klipsch… I went and got a loaner SMSL AD18… grabbed 600m. All I can say is … I am rather torn… these are more expensive than the Edifier due to the needing of an amp. so I am on the fence a bit.

3 Likes

I am pretty sure you won’t regret getting the Klispch while you will for the Edifier. :wink: