DMS top 5 headphones under 500$

Joshua valor uses the analytical pads and a filter

yeah, i was thinking those too. what about the thieaudio phantom? post mods

Not in my hands, but on my head :wink: :joy:

2 Likes

Even after modding hell out of these parts, they still sound too dull, too undefined, somehow not right.

My point goes clearly to the sundara’s.

But as you know, everyone takes things differently!
:man_shrugging:

1 Like

If I had to choose between Grados or going deaf, I would choose deaf
but they are technically the same thing anyways, lol.

1 Like

Lol. That’s ruff
 but they are amazing on the RNHP

Im using the Grado SR80e. Huge cost miss match. But the RNHP brings out the thump and cleans up the sparkly highs that are siblant on amps like the THX.

I realize that Grado need amps that complement the sound. Like some of the Cavalli amps and RNHP

There is forward headphones
then there is bright
and then somewhere between Satan’s anus is Grados, lol. I have modded Grados a lot in my past. I actually think the SR80e are as good as it gets
the PS500 (non e variant) was pretty good too, but that is really it. They really are a specialty niche headphone and even the right amp doesn’t matter if you are listening to the wrong genre of music.

1 Like

DT880 600 ohm and Fiio K5 Pro combo for under 300 is practically the complete package for listening, competitive gaming, even low budget music making. Highly underrated imo.

Unless you actually like bass
then not so much.

It is made for a more neutral response, the bass isn’t exaggerated like other headphones, which is why it certainly leans more towards competitive gaming and budget music production.
I’m a bass head but I also love clear treble so there are headphones like the KSC75 that have almost no bass that I still love for what they are.

The bass starts to roll off at 90 hz. That isn’t neutral, that is bass lite. Nothing wrong with liking the headphones, I used to own a pair
but they lack bass extension even in a neutral sense of the word.

1 Like

That would be my personal top 5 under $ 500 list, without a special ranking:

https://www.amazon.com/Grado-RS2E-Reference-Series-RS2e/dp/B00L1O64X6/ref=sr_1_1?crid=GXC6J3YCV279&keywords=grado+rs2e&qid=1580789902&sprefix=grado+rs2e%2Caps%2C220&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Audeze-LCD-1-Audiophile-Open-Back-Headphones/dp/B07YMGS432/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=audeze&qid=1580790032&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-177X-GO-Closed-Back/dp/B081GJWSPQ/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=massdrop&qid=1580790163&sr=8-10

Plus an additional In-Ear:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RGYBHZG/ref=dp_cr_wdg_tit_nw_mr

1 Like

Interesting that you picked the AH-D5200 as I love those, but they are over $500 ($699 last I checked).

I don’t like Grado headphones much but they are true to their own design language and sound signature and I respect them for that.

Well maybe DMS thinks there are no other headphones he would recommenced under 500$?
Since the DT1990 are normally above 500$, they aren’t with list.

Would have to go higher class for tickle his pleasures bit’s.

They go on sale for under 500$ a lot

1 Like

But my list and music lovers list really shows how out of date DMS list is and how its more a under 300$ list. there are better headphones out there with more detail and resolution and dynamic range and quality than what he recommended.

Joshua Valor is also coming out with a list. cant wait to see what he recommends. will it be as out of date and personal as DMS’s list? will he really think and work hard to give people out there the best headphone they can get for the price?

Technicalities aren’t everything, you can get something with more detail like the m570 or something, but TBH they don’t sound that great overall. I think dms is aiming for something that’s a complete coherent sound

Isnt a complete coherent sound sig more preference thing? look at my list and music lovers list. also other headphones in your experience that are good for under 500$ Isnt there a better list than his? my grip is his list is wonky