Do i need to upgrade my DAC?

Ok so i got about 1000$ to spend and i’m not sure what to spend it on. I’ve been looking for an upgrade on a DAC. I have a SU8. But from what im hearing DAC’s dont really give that much of a sound quality boost unless your in the high end range.

But i got the RNHP Amp and i noticed how much of a sound quality boost it gave. it was big. I had a sp200 before. I would like a DAC to accompany it. So people are saying the r2r dacs are really good. Mon recommended the Bifrost 2 but its so expensive and i cant find one used.

So i was thinking maybe a Soekris 1321 which sells for 450$. But i’m not sure thats gonna give a significant upgrade over the SU8. I’d like to keep it at around 500$.

1 Like

You might be able to wait and find on for like 550, but that’s only 150 off from retail, imo it’s worth for sure

I think that would still give an upgrade, but not as large as the bifrost 2 imo, but I do think the soekris would be worthwhile and is a noticeable upgrade. It really depends on what type of sound you are going for in the upgrade

2 Likes

Well you know me. i like detail. not too much soundstage. and W or U shaped sound. Like my Helios lol.

Bifrost 2 is a still a good bet. The question is how much warmth do you need? That will be the driving factor.

Hmmmmm. I think if you wanted detail forward you might actually like the soekris, it’s not as spacious as the bifrost 2 but it is more aggressive and tight sounding. It is pretty neutral though. I think if you wanted a more fun w sound and still somewhat forward, the ares ii is a great dac for that imo as it will be more forward in it’s detail than the bifrost 2 but w shaped unlike the soekris

2 Likes

Differences between Bifrost 2 and Ares II?

Bifrost 2 is a bit more warmer and laid back, the ares ii is more w shaped and energetic, I like both tbh, just different flavors. I think the bifrost 2 is closer to neutral where the ares ii is a bit more colored here as well. The bifrost 2 is a bit wider but the ares ii is a bit more accurate in it’s placement, both are fairly natural but I think the bifrost 2 is a bit more natural sounding where the ares ii is a bit more forward than natural

3 Likes

Hmm, the Denafrips Ares ii is about 800$ bit higher than i wanted to go

It should be around like 700 from vinshine audio iirc

If you had to have one DAC below $1k that just works and constantly delivers… Bifrost 2 is exceptional. I feel like I compromise on very little and it consistently matches expectations. Only after spending A LOT of money do I crave a bit more details but I like the sound signature so much, this DAC is staying.

Given the fact that Schiit has plans for it in the future and the firmware is upgradeable… you can’t go wrong with Bifrost 2 unless you want effects or volume control on a DAC.

2 Likes

Yeah the Bifrost does sound pretty good from what im hearing. And the warmth could help with the high treble on my Helios headphones. Maybe i’ll just splurge and get it new

IDK. If im gonna do that i should check out the Denafrips Ares. same price

You can’t go wrong… but wouldn’t you prefer to support an American company during this time of need?

1 Like

I help where i can. But I believe in rewarding a company that does it right. Or at least right for me. Like HarmonicDyne.

1 Like

Agree to disagree or not. Human > American (of which I am)

2 Likes

So question. Would you rather risk of variance form a discrete implementation of a ladder DAC or have it done on silicon with higher yields, more consistent, and more likely to last a life time with specific sound note with the best USB implementation I’ve ever seen for audio. Choose what you think is best.

1 Like

Can you simplify that a little?

I think he is trying to say that the discrete r2r latter dacs are more susceptible to greater variance between units on something like the ares ii, and he likes the usb better on the bifrost 2

To simplify it further, he thinks you should get the bifrost 2

4 Likes

ah i get it

It is nice that you can upgrade the firmware and also remove and replace the digital and analog circuits on the Bifrost.

1 Like