Do i need to upgrade my DAC?

I hate their name though. I’m a Christian. what am i gonna say?

“So what DAC do you have?”

“Umm… its a Shit”

“Ska-heet, it’s Scandinavian”.

1 Like

But then:

So… I’ll be honest. You might want a Soekris because it will meet your branding needs the most.

2 Likes

They named themselves Shit. Can I really say they are doing it right? lol

If they’ve been around for a decade and 2 of the DAC’s are on Torq’s top 10 all time DAC’s… yeah they’re doing it right.

2 Likes

Dago, everytime i see you reply to one of my posts i groan a little. How come your always on my case?

That’s a long discussion not meant for a public forum. But seriously, any one of the 3 R-2R’s are pretty awesome and will fit your budget. You said about $1000 to spend, however $800 is too much so… Soekris and Bifrost 2 are most likely to fit your budget.

2 Likes

Schiit makes good schiit.

4 Likes

I don’t care what the name of the company is as long as what I buy sounds good. The BF2 is pretty much universally praised, as are many of their other products.

5 Likes

Wikipedia:

Helios , also Helius (/ˈhiːlioʊs/; Ancient Greek: Ἥλιος Hēlios ; Latinized as Helius ; Ἠέλιος in Homeric Greek), in ancient Greek religion and myth, is the god and personification of the Sun, often depicted in art with a radiant crown and driving a horse-drawn chariot through the sky.

So…
Owning headphones called “Helios” is more “heretic” than owning anything called “Schiit”. You’re literally wearing something called “a different god than yours”.

Also, the “Bifrost” comes from norse mythology too.

4 Likes

Okok, let’s keep this audio focused please

2 Likes

I know a few people have both the Soekris and BF2, I hope they can comment when it’s not their sleepy time. I know the BF2 is definitely a winner in terms of “enjoyable” but maybe not the exact ideal DAC. Ant mentioned RNHP and that it worked VERY well with the Helios, so I assume the BF2 would be a wonderful complement there in terms of enjoyment.

Questions on the Soekris: How good is the USB implementation? How accessible are they right now with the current… world impacts of… a screw it covid. Will it be detailed enough and work with the Helios + RNHP (or whatever dac).

Door number 3 days buy both sell one if it doesn’t perform… but often cost prohibitive.

3 Likes

Works without issues, so good for me, but can’t really say much on a technical level. I did slightly prefer the sound of the bnc input but usb was not far behind on mode 2

You can easily get them from modhouse but otherwise they might be a bit harder to get ahold of

Yes

3 Likes

Thanks Dechaine, Now i gotta burn my precious Helios. thank you so much

1 Like

Is your SU-8 an ESS based dac?

SABRE dacs are known to be analytical, which often times can correlate with detail. A MultiBit and Ladder dac would provide coloration, and different presentations, but not necessarily more detail.

3 Likes

Very true, but in the case of the soekris, ares, and bifrost imo it’s noticably more detailed. It has similar top level detail, but more lower level detail, and also I would point out the other aspects like the resolution of the spatial image it creates vs the su8. But it’s also not the most fair comparison, they are different tiers of dacs. I think if you compared the su8 to the airist or a modi multibit I would say the su8 is more detailed but there are other aspects at play.

2 Likes

… the sun god pun in there has me rolling. Thank you! I needed that laugh (I hope it was a pun because it was GOOD).

3 Likes

:rofl:

Sorry Ant, it seems greek mythology is often used, for DAC/Amp/Headphone creators, for whatever reason? :man_shrugging:
Whatever, it’s just a name.

For “Schiit”, well, it’s spelled Schiit, not “Shit”. They knew calling it “Shit” would’ve been a bad move lol.

SU-8 is ESS based as well as the Topping D50, D10, etc… The analog implementation has shown to be done QUITE well on many sabre DAC’s. However in many of the chips and implementations can’t seem to compete in this price range. While the THD is higher I can show waveforms of square waves that can show ringing and interpolation that shows there is a bit of integration of waves. Meaning you’re losing some details especially with transients. This is inherent with many sigma delta implementations and you’re limited by physics. Multi-bit/R-2R has a higher base cost but the inherent performance is phenomenal.

1 Like

I based my comments on what’s he’s been stating on this thread. He’s very detail focused and doesn’t “care much about soundstage”.

It sounds like he has a preference towards analytical sound, though I’m not sure what he means by “sound quality boost” as he’s stated in regards to the RNHP (which is a fairly colored amp).

I don’t find it helpful describing frequency response shapes via letters (V,W, etc.) when describing dacs, or amps for that matter so I’m just going by what I understood from this thread.

It seems like a Delta Sigma would be more to his preference, that’s my takeaway from his statements.

1 Like