Do i need to upgrade my DAC?

I’m not speaking for Ant but he want’s a step up on details in a budget range. After hearing ladder dacs, I’m a believer in this range that they bring details and layering I haven’t heard from sigma delta implementations. You’re right though, normally I would recommend someone for a sabre DAC, but new headphones and asking for something different and different needs, time to think of different implementations.

The question is, if the Topping D50 already measures well, what would a higher end of the same implementation really yield? All I can see is more features but not more of the desired attributes Ant mentioned he wanted. Best part of the ladder DACs, they sell fast if someone finds they are not for them and hold their value pretty well.

1 Like

I’m thinking about the Pro-Ject S2 Digital again. 500$-ish for dual ESS with apparently good soundstage. Might be another option for him. Topping DACs for 500$ apparently just sound “neutral, clean” without the other attributes of high-end DACs (soundstage, depth, imaging).

2 Likes

I agree that you can get a more pleasant, and “natural” sound from a MultiBit or Ladder dac in the budget price range for sure.

I just don’t think that’s what he’s after from what he’s stated.

1 Like

That makes sense, but what I would say is that to get a significant detail boost for a sigma delta dac, he would be out of his price range. I think that he could get the sound he wants out of a soekris with the higher tier of resolving power. I personally don’t think he will also mind the step up in spatial recreation. The soekris will give him the detail forward signature that he wants, and also is a tighter stage neutral dac

I also think he would like the ares ii, but it wouldn’t be as forward as the soekris in detail

2 Likes

Yeah, I think of all the MB/r2r options recommend, the Soekris would best fit his requirements.

The dac @LeDechaine mentioned also sounds like a good option.

1 Like

I guess theres a lot of stuff that goes into detail. thats why i mentioned the RNHP and the SP200. The RNHP has a significant sound quality boost in comparison to the detailed SP200. I want more of that! lol.

So i’m going with Mon’s suggestion for a DAC since he suggested the RNHP and now my music sounds so much better.

So my main concern with going with another ess dac would be that it would be very marginal upgrade wise, you would be getting an upgrade but imo it might not justify the cost

1 Like

I wouldn’t only go with what I say, take other people’s experience into account and weigh it all together

I agree with dago that a soekris would be the most up your alley if you really wanted to stick to what you had mentioned initially, if you could grab a dac1421 or 1321 that would be a great pick imo

1 Like

The problem is making sure the RNHP synergizes with the DAC. I’ve heard when the RNHP can be made to sound thin with some setups so more of what you like does not mean a good thing. Think of it like all the variables into a final drive ratio that is desired on a car. It’s the system you want to synergize and work well.

1 Like

Do you have the link to this list?

well what do you think Mon? does the bifrost 2 fit well with the RNHP?

Link in question.

1 Like

I mention this because the BF2 + RNHP + LCD X sounded WONDERFUL to me. BF2 + RNHP + Blon B20 sounded thin. With that said, the Airist R-2R + THX 887 + Blon B20 sounded great to me with aggressive, detail, and mildly bright… but with the LCD X sounded dark and not appealing (especially for headphones at that price range). It’s the entire system. Evaluate the components of what you have now and compare it to you want. More “w or u” sound will not work if every part of the chain has that. It’ll be a bit too much.

1 Like

Yes, as does the soekris and the ares imo, they all pair pretty well, I really don’t think you would be making a mistake with any of em. Imo if you want the most detail forward, narrow, and neutral, the dac1421. If you want a more energetic and colored sound, the ares ii. If you wanted something smoother and a bit warmer, the bifrost 2

2 Likes

@Antpage2
There have been a lot of good recommendations given to you on this thread. Synergy was mentioned by @DagoRed, and that’s a very important factor.

Another thing to consider, as you stated, is that the dac will provide the least amount of change in your setup compared to the the amp, and more importantly, the headphones your driving.

I recommend browsing other forums as well (there are several) for the gear your looking into. It helps to get an outside perspective since there’s always a general consensus from forum to forum of what’s “best”.

You may also find different ways of describing what you’ve been hearing that will give you a better understanding of what it is you’re truly looking for.

Good luck. :+1:t4:

3 Likes

Hows the amp in the 1421 compared to the RNHP?

Let the guy sleep! But the headphone amp will be lack luster so don’t sell the RNHP. Plus I thought you like the RNHP? And it’s out of your price range.

1 Like

well i was thinking i could sell the RNHP and then get the 1421 for an amp too since it was so expensive. but nvm. i think i’ll just go with the Bifrost

There’s a lot of information, you’re pushing your budget. I think you need to give it a few days and research because the last thing you want is to pick up something that isn’t what you are chasing after. I will admit, I thought THX amps were the cat’s meow and it’s on the RNHP thread… I found out otherwise and the addiction for people saying how great the THX amps were without reference got my setup in a bad spot that cost me $1200 to get away from.

Do your homework and evaluate your headphones with what you have now for DAC’s and amps. Figure out what you’re truly missing in your setup and go from there. Don’t decide immediately on a thread until you do your homework.

2 Likes

The RME-ADI 2 would be your best option for an AIO. It’s a feature rich dac that’s clean and neutral, and it has an excellent headphone output.

2 Likes