Do you guys not have phones?: What phone are you currently using?

Still rockin my trusty LG V40. Shame LG got out of the phone business. One of the better phones made. Audio is excellent on this device so it makes a great streamer, too.

2 Likes

LG V20. Thing is buggy as hell and an absolute hand warmer but I still love it for the headphone jack and removable batteries.

3 Likes

That is the only thing I wish the V40 had. Can’t change the battery. It does have an SD card though. I like the size of the V40 as well. Seems like new phones are getting too big.

Recently upgraded to an iPhone 13 pro max purely for the battery life and camera. Been missing the headphone jack for the past few years as my previous phone didn’t have it either though. Not exactly putting it to its max potential sitting inside all day though :sweat_smile:

I am currently on a company phone, an iphone 12 mini that i got when the 12mini was just released.

Had a choice of iphone 12, 12 mini or a similar priced samsung phone, can’t remember model number. I have been using an iphone since i bought my 3gs back in the day, so for me the choice was obvious. I went for the mini, as i want a smaller phone to carry in my pocket and that was easier to use one handed. I could also have gotten the higher end max and pro models if i payed the difference myself, but opted for smaller form factor.

If i would have to pay for the phone myself, the SE or an outgoing model for cheap would probably be my phone of choice. If the phone gets to expensive i would only be too worried about dropping it or it getting lost, and for my daily use i do not need to pay the extra price for being on the newest and hottest model :slight_smile:

Ah yes removable batteries were a thing back then and it’s so much easier to just have a backup battery, pop out the main battery of your phone and then just pop in the backup battery you have and voila! You have a fully charged phone again, for I cannot fathom myself to wait for my phone to charge even though it has fast charging.

We are not going to get it back sadly, for I miss those when I just wanna do that for it is quick and efficient.

thin n light… same reason batteries are integrated on most laptops now. that is the cost for that want.

fortunately a number of solutions are available to counter that… external packs using wireless charging that give you 3 or 4x the life the internal does.

1 Like

That is something that I cannot say with my A52S 5G, for it is surprisingly thick and I prefer it that way since having a phone on the thicker side gives me more comfort that my phone is more durable than some of the thin phones I saw.

Hear me out:
Phone battery charger station at home with two charging and one in your phone, then just swap batteries instead of waiting for charge.

4 Likes

The one feature I got with the Samsung S20FE that I don’t want to give up is wireless charging. I didn’t think I would care that much, but it is really convenient, and the only time I still use the USB-C for charging is when I am out at a theme park ( and I carry a power bank for that ).

The only Motorola that has the feature is their Flagship Edge+ model ( that runs $1k ). I rarely buy the TOTL, and just can’t justify the expense, again I am going to take it to theme parks, so who knows what might happen.

I know they sell wireless charging adapters that go under the case, so there are work arounds, but they block the USB port, which most of us would find that to be a problem.

1 Like

As someone who would repair cell phones, and install custom roms and kernels on cell phones all the time and switch between models constantly…

I’m using an iPhone 11.

My wife’s family are all on iPhones, as are my parents in the UK, and iMessage has genuinely become the selling point because of that. I can techincally “text” my dad with no international fees. Facetime is easier to initiate than a Zoom or other alternatives.

The cameras are completely good enough (which has always been my greatest concern alongside battery life, which is also more than decent on this)

Syncing my music library with macs is greatly simplified too.

If I wasn’t on an iPhone I’d be back on the Pixel series, probably an “A” variant for the headphone jack.

On the audio side, Apple dongle is king, and I’m fine BT streaming AAC.

5 Likes

I was looking at the a52s too but managed to get a good deal on the a73 which ended up cheaper. Couldnt justify buying a flagship with the poor battery life and no expandable storage.

4 Likes

Exactly why I’m in the iPhone ecosystem, too. Plus software updates are available for all Apple users with compatible phones simultaneously, which is a big plus over Android’s more haphazard approach.

1 Like

I moved my whole family over to iPhone’s and iPad’s because of how simple they are to support and maintain and I was also until my 8+ randomly died on me. no wait…first it was charging and then gave an overheat message. then it stopped responding at all, wouldn’t turn on, show the battery charge icon if plugged in, etc. I upgraded my wife from her 6+ to the replacement 8+ as I wanted to try Android again and used my SiL’s surplus Galaxy A5 - 2017 and aside from a few things (like no updates) it was a fine device despite it’s age. my biggest gripe was how small the screen was.

so ow i have an LG 5G that I got at $5 / month for 24 months…alas, if I want to pay it off, I have to pay full retail, can’t pay off the $5 subsidized amount.

my wife does a lot of walking and since Rupert is so rural and rich with wildlife she’s constantly snapping photos and taking videos and while the iPhone has quality optics, the Galaxy S20 / 21 / 22 have 100x zoom and when I showed my wife videos of people taking amazing shots of the moon and such, her eyes bugged out with an IWANTIT look, so I think I know what her next phone will be when the 8+ needs to be retired, LoL!

2 Likes

speaking of phones…does anyone know if these 3-in-1 USB charging cables are reliable or just a great idea but functionally flawed?

2 Likes

That’s strange, here the A73 are more expensive than the A52S 5G that I have right now. Maybe there are some things that are just better than the phone I have right now?

1 Like

Iphone 12 pro max for my personal phone and a Galaxy A71 for my work phone.

I always had Samsung phones up until the end of 2020. I have had an S4, S6, S8 and still keep the S8 around as a mess around music device. I was tired of the battery life shitting out after 6 months and they would become slow around the same time period. So far at about 1.5 years and I notice maybe a 5% at most decrease in charge hold. I will probably stick with iphones for now. I’m not an Apple die hard by any stretch, but do think their phones are great and the iPad is easily the best tablet I have ever used. My wife has always used iphones and I do enjoy the easy sharing aspects we have now with messages, video chat, photo/ music and notes.

1 Like

Theres only minor improvements over the a52s - battery, camera, screen, the a52s is better value at the full rrp

1 Like

I agree with this, also it’s much of a better deal than the A53 5G that some of the people that have been suggesting to me, for the A53 is more of a downgrade in terms of specs.

1 Like

weird I had my S7 Edge as my phone for almost 5 years only in the last year did I have battery issues, now I use it as a music source for my XD05 and after uninstalling everything I didn’t need on it anymore battery lasts me 2-3 days depending on use, got a replacement battery but haven’t felt the need for it yet.

I’ve had my S10 since then and battery easily lasts me 2 days if I forget to charge, 3-4 days if I don’t play games on it or spend hours reading books on it lol