Douk U2 pro with upgraded clocks - need explanation

I mean there is a noticeable difference but it’s fairly minimal on cheap DACs. The standard one pretty much pulls every bit of capability out of something like a topping d50 or smsl mk300 or something of similar price but on something like a D90 you get a slightly bigger difference but I can’t stress enough that it is pretty minimal. I2s performance is also noticeably better than coax so keep that in mind and honestly I haven’t even tried the optical but I assume that’s fine as well.

2 Likes

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I’ll go for the upgraded one as I know for sure I’ll regret it and end up buying it later if I don’t… :slight_smile:

@Pokrog you weren’t kidding about the massive upgrade in sound!!! I didn’t even have to A/B toggle a dozen time to hear the difference, we’re talking about in your face differences. I’m using these with D30 pro via coaxial, I hear better separation, more impactful bass, overall more energy, cleaner and more texture. It feels like I’m hearing my GL2000 for the first time again! I can’t wait to hear what the he6se v2 (waiting for my replacement set) can do on this setup!

Ps I’m waiting for my edition xs as well! So far all your recommendations have been spot on for me, so I have no doubt edition xs is gonna be right up my alley when you gave such positive feedbacks on them! You’re a life saver! Thanks!

3 Likes

Glad you’re liking it! I don’t want to exaggerate how big of a difference it can be but it’s really hard not to be able to tell an immediate difference, especially if you’ve had the same system for a while and know exactly what is capable of.

2 Likes

I decided to order this tiny box(douk u2 pro) to connect it to Smsl D1se- dac via i2s, 30 days approximately to ship it to my home. Interesting, there will be difference to improvement direction for 700$ sabre dac?
I have possibility to order 33$ 5v linear power supply for it, is it worth to do it now? Or better try the converter and then in case of positive effect order PSU?
Please advise:)

There’s definitely a noticeable difference with a linear power supply and sabre chips do get a big benefit from the U2 pro as well.

4 Likes

100 percent. I’m actually thinking about a LPSU myself. @volikovvv I use a U2 Pro also and it has had a positive impact on my system. I am using it to feed my Bifrost 2 DAC over digital coax. I am very happy with it.

2 Likes

Thank you for response guys, just pushing purchase button:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_AquUV8

Ali standard shipping for douk u2 pro and power supply - approximately 30 days, i hope i will have it before new year:)

And one more question which hdmi cable to use for i2s? Top Ugreen hdmi for 9$ for 50cm will be enough? Or i need 20-25cm hdmi cable?

P.s. a little bit strange, that box with retail price of 50$, can improve sound quality of the dacs in 600-1000$ range, it sounds like nonsense for me… What is the real usb reciever price in this dacs? 10 bucks?

1 Like

I use this HDMI cable. I think staying around 30cm or under should be fine

Thank you for response, i thought there are requirements for i2s device connections exist, like: lenght, wire gauge, cable material (silver, copper or something like that)

i think it’s just about separating the clock signals and data signals to avoid compounding jitter. not sure about gauge or material requirements but that’s why i got the heavy gauge short cable i linked.

Sadly I can’t order it, not deliver to my country. AliExpress goods are fully available, like ugreen, baseus, etc… Or expensive brands like Audioquest and etc…

i’d just try to find a 24 or 36 AWG hdmi cable that is around 1 foot or less and you should be fine.
monoprice has these in stock but i’m not sure if they ship internationally.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13576

2 Likes

Sad to say - no, no shipping to eastern Europe. USA market and our differs in brands availabilities and prices. Chinese devices can be purchased by manufacturer recommended price, but for example Schiit bifrost costs: 1000$ and more instead of 700 + shipping. So balance of purchase choices hugely differ.

Ordered this one, 50cm for 8.5$ with shipping, this brand is good quality(i think it is better than monoprice), but no length less than 50cm.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_A3kmXW

I’ve ordered douk per your advise, but after reading this thread I have 2 questions, if I may:

In the chain PC>douk>E30>L30>EDXS, would I need that hdmi connection somewhere, like PC>douk part? And what lps would you recommend to get for douk? Thank you.

you need a coax cable to plug the u2 pro into the e30. i think the shorter the better.
the linear power supply i use is the talema version of this:

2 Likes

also it’s worth mentioning i think that the linear power supply would also work for your e30 so you can plug both your douk u2 pro and your e30 into it.

2 Likes

Perfect, will get it set up that way then, since I was already looking into getting ps for E30, thanks a bunch. I was just curious what were you guys using hdmi cable in your setups for, but looks like I don’t need it.

i2s uses a hdmi connection for audio

1 Like

Found one more interesting product, manufactured with 4 different versions of clocks, based on amanero reciever… Maybe this one can be better? People who knows the hardware, could you please tell, this looks better or not? :))

Small update: in customer feedbacks found the statement, that i2s does not work. Actually i didn’t find i2s scheme for the output of this unit