šŸ”¶ Drop + Sennheiser PC38X Gaming Headset

Yea it is easy to swap the pads.

Yea I tried listening to music with the original pads and it was ā€œno buenoā€. It is a bit better with the velour pads. But, I have better headphones for listening to music.

Yea I am looking forward to trying out the HD 560s as well. It should arrive tomorrow.

1 Like

I decided test these out with the default pads for a while on COD today. Early impressions are they give me noticeably better positional accuracy compared to my K712 and Game One on top of having better tonality. So Iā€™m happy.

As for music, I found the default pads to be bright in the upper mids/lower treble. But I still found them to be enjoyable on good number of songs. Heavy metal was the least pleasant where guitar tracks became rather fatiguing. Compared to the Game One, itā€™s no contest. The Game Oneā€™s bass is mud. Plus Iā€™ve always thought itā€™s tonality was crap for music.

In terms technical performance Iā€™d say itā€™s at least on par with the 58X. The bass was noticeably tighter to say the least. Although there was one song where I seemed to be getting noticeable distortion with the bass. But everything else I checked seemed fine. So maybe the mastering is flawed. If anyone cares, the song was Boys in Kaleidosphere by Mili

Has anyone tried to use these with the PS4 controller output? Iā€™d love to go this route, but want to make sure they arenā€™t underpowered.

Well Gaming Onesā€™s give sound with 50 Ī©, -38 dBV/PA
These are only 28 Ī©, -38 dBV/PA.
Donā€™t understand ā€˜underpoweredā€™ as do get pretty loud just with the just the controller?
Unless someone with bad hearing is using them.

What would stop amping them later on if needed?

1 Like

I would think youā€™d be fine at such low ohms. Itā€™s a gaming headset designed to be ran without amplification like all the others.

1 Like

Impedance does not matter as much as sensitivity in these particular changes.

1 Like

The sensitivity is the same -38 dBV/PA, you probably did not know that.
Did not see point to add the info earlier, but it is there now. You can be happy.

1 Like

Just because they get loud doesnā€™t necessarily mean they are powered well enough :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I appreciate it. Iā€™m hoping someone has tried it and can confirm they sound great.

Hi Iā€™m new to the forum not sure if this is the right place to post but Iā€™m looking for a new headset I was just wondering how you guys think the 38x compare to the 6xx for gaming? Also can you run the 6xx on ps4?

@Rick_Jones without saying too much, needless to sayā€¦? for me? This is 110% going back. There isnā€™t even much to review on this thing. Itā€™s just outright bad for music imo for the price point as a bright headphone. The only thing special about this is, soundstage and imaging is passable and a little above average. Yay, a gaming headset that actually works well for gaming other than mh751. Like, I should reiterateā€¦ I can write a review it will be quite short as there isnā€™t much to even cover on this thing. I just donā€™t feel up to writing a rather large negative review on itā€¦ Itā€™s passable as a gaming headset just not as a headphone

Edit: I will give myself a bit more time to acclimate to itā€¦ see if my opinion on this so far changes

my opinion? Depends, want music? 6xx. Want competitive gaming? Depends, close combat fps 6xx is fineā€¦ larger combat fps 38x. Want overall quality of sound in casual gaming? 6xx.

Want all of the above at cheaper just without the mic? 58x jubilee

no, not even. ps4 can barily run 32 ohms and the 6xx is 300 ohms

2 Likes

Only for the brave.

I mean you canā€¦ use.
My brain translates ā€˜runā€™ as works so, yes. ā€˜Runā€™ meaning not work just does not translate.
Where you the guy that did not know what the volume nub is for, console use? lol :wink:

For the record. Sound stage ainā€™t that good so would use something else.
6XX much better for music use than gaming. If you dare, you can.

not quite sure what your getting at with this one.

It did skip my thought process yes, itā€™s a rather niche extra addition and not all that big of a deal.

soundstage is narrow as hell on the 600 series ā€¦ even then pc38x isnā€™t all that great in it either despite all the hype

I think this is quite subjective imo, it sounds fine for most gaming just not the best for competitive use due to the narrow nature itā€™s quite good for immersion and sounds pretty good to boot. More so if you have a great tube amp or something to pair it with

alright, gonna keep this short and to the point. Disclaimer: these are my thoughts and should be taken as opinionā€¦ if you like the hardware then use it.

lows: raised up more than the pc37x. Still falling relatively close to neutrality for a sennheiser. Not in the way for gaming just a nice touch and a nice balance overall in gaming. Definitely a needed improvement as the pc37x was a bit anemic here.

Mids: not the cleanest but passable. Still clear and respectableā€¦ not real complaints here for a gaming headsetā€¦ if I were to compare this to a headphone though I would have some serious complaints

Highs: raised, grainy, ever so slightly fatiguing. Notice I didnā€™t say detailed?
soundstage: impressively large for a sennheiserā€¦ good for gaming kudos

imaging: for a gaming headset to be this accurate? incredibly nice putting it as one of the best in the headset market

Complaints: this headphone is shilled the hell out ofā€¦ not even sorry about thisā€¦ donā€™t get me wrongā€¦ itā€™s a great headset but itā€™s a rather piss poor headphone in comparison to others in my opinion. 58x jubilee and 560s destroy this thing in terms of muscality. The bass lacks quantity, the mids arenā€™t very clear, the highs are grainy and has touches of sibilance here and there, it lacks in detail throughout the signature without sparkle in the raised highs, it lacks separation so intensive gun-battles in planetside 2 were a jumbled mess. There was several occasions where things became so heated I was incapable of properly placing my sounds. Microphone is sub par and I have other gamer headsets that have more clarityā€¦ I would rather use a modmic

VS Tygr 300R: No competition. At all, end of story. Tygr 300r however does not have a mic which makes it more expensive so in that regard pc38x is better. Tygr 300r has better soundstage, better imaging, better tuning, clearer, cleaner, more detail, a hell of a lot better seperation, better build, subjectively better comfort, and can remove itā€™s dampener to break up the highs if thatā€™s your thing.

VS DT 880: at 250 ohms this can be bought around $110 - $125 and you can snag a rather cheap combo unit to power this or in some gamers cases can run this off the motherboardā€¦ this headphone is not only cheaper but makes the pc38x look like a joke. The fact this can run off some motherboards and you can grab a much better microphone for this setup making them close to even on price in this regardā€¦ makes me immediately tell someone to think otherwise of the pc38x if they are capable of pulling this offā€¦ the dt 880 is truly a monster when it comes to being a gamerā€¦ itā€™s easily one of the best and for good reasons

VS 58x Jubilee: pc38x has better soundstage and imaging here by a respectable amount but every single thing in the frequency between the two in my opinion sounds 110% better on the 58x.

VS HD 598 very similar between these two which surprised meā€¦ 598 came across as the cleaner more resolving headphone but the brightness of the 38x gave it a bit of an edge in terms of gaming fundamentals for competitives. I had to really sit with these twoā€¦ personally I would give the 38x here the win for gamingā€¦ 598 for music

Some further notes here to kinda ease this upā€¦ I really donā€™t want to roast this much moreā€¦ So, as a headset the pc38x is by no means -bad-. Like at all. If I were to compare this to other gaming headsets this would easily be potentially the best of the best for the gaming headsets right now. Itā€™s ampless, ease of access, runs off consoles and pcā€™s just fine, has a mic built on, actual large soundstage and good imaging which is rare in the gaming headset market makes it have a good spot in the market. If someone were to tell me they have an awful motherboard, donā€™t want an amp/dac, want a headset and just pick up and play, and they are a competitive gamer? Yeah, this one most definitely would be a solid recommendation from me. It just kind of checks all the boxes but itā€™s dreadful for musicality and falls short in quite a few areas is my problem with it. If anythingā€¦ I would say this is the open back alternative to the mh751 as that would be the better closed back recommendation here for the headsets

2 Likes

Might as well pop in to reiterate what I said in the tygr forum. The pc38x was shilled to an insane degree. Itā€™s imaging is as basic as left, right, center. Soundstage is nonexistent compared to the tygr or 990. You could do much better at the price point

Itā€™s literally a reskinned gsp500 without the bass issue to my ear lol so completely agreed. At its price point Iā€™d say best in class for headsets but not headphones

1 Like

True, since they are a headset and not referred as headphone.
TYGR is more mentioned as gaming headphone.

Somehow feelā€™s wrong to compare them.
Need and requirements of the mic, kinda setā€™s the table better.

Opinion definitely has not changed on theseā€¦ Impressed with them, at the same time not. Nothing completely crazy but nice for a Sennheiser though I would still take something like 58x jubilees or 560s over these. Granted, 38x are better for competitive gaming due to the added portions of the treble and of course easy to drive and addition of the microphone. I have stuck with these for a while now since my last remark on them(whatā€¦ like going on 3 weeks?) where I did that short write up on my thoughts and I still find issues with themā€¦ they do not however, have any issues in the smaller fps like COD or Overwatch or somethingā€¦ but when you get to larger games such as battlefield for example it starts to become more apparentā€¦ and becomes dreadfully apparent in Tarkov that this headphone just isnā€™t good enough in comparison to say the Tygr or 880 in terms of what you really need in placing those sounds. The soundstage seems to prioritize more of left right and centerā€¦ but it really starts to struggle in games where you have the sounds above or below you(like fortnite and apex for example where this can be common) or in sounds where it needs to be particular in a diagonal direction(tarkov) there seems to be some issues. As far as Seperation, I literally cannot properly use this headphone in games like Battlefield when the battle gets too heated if in a very intense gunfight and planetside was just virtually impossible to properly place a sound of which the beyers could easily place them without seemingly much effort at all. Granted I would say this headset is actually better for gaming than the shp9500 post mod and practically every single gaming headset on the market excluding mmx300(only because itā€™s pretty much just the dt 770)

I still believe these are relatively shilled or I can just write it off as wellā€¦ itā€™s their opinion but this isnā€™t anything very special. Still, I would only recommend such an item in the most extensive of cases such as harsh budget or mandatory to use a headset or something. These still absolutely suck for music though, only good for gaming competitivelyā€¦ definitely not a fan for casual immersion

2 Likes

Just going to leave this here as another set of remarks from joshua over this. No words can describe my thoughts on this, put simplyā€¦ Pretty positive I am done following him our sound interests and opinions definitely donā€™t line up

3 Likes

Yeah. I really liked his videos when I first got into the hobby, but lately (especially since he partnered with Apos) every video is more ad than review. Heā€™s definitely a talented guy and still has the best videography in the space IMO. Iā€™m just bummed that heā€™s transitioned from reviewer to influencer.

To be clear, Apos is an amazing company and Joshua is still an excellent content creator. Thereā€™s nothing wrong with being an influencer. This just changes how I approach his content now.

2 Likes