šŸ”¶ Drop x DCA Aeon Open X

The thicker/denser the pad, the more it attenuates the highs and brings out the bass, but at some loss of clarity, IMO. I always ran the 1 notch white filter while I had them.

This should run fine on an atom stack right?

So having tried the Open RT for sometime I actually think its a better deal than the Aeon 2 Open is. It sounds very similar and honestly has a better FR out the box. The Aeon RT has a bit too much upper bass like the Aeon 2 but its less overwhelming. It has a similar 6k spike but again its no where near as strong. The Aeon 2 has slightly more detail and a wider soundstage, but I actually prefer the Aeon RTs more intimate soundstage, makes for a little more exciting listen. If you really want a bigger soundstage and detail the Aeon 2 might be worth it but I guess for most the RT will be a better deal.

Unfortunately the Aeon RT also shares the Aeon 2s biggest flaw which is way way too much high treble energy. From about 9k on there is about 8-10db too much for me all the way up to 17k and beyond. Its not exactly evenly distributed either, so trying to fix it with EQ is rough and I havent been able to find the perfect one yet. Using the inserts does help some with this but also hurts the dynamics which already arent a strong suit so its not ideal. This may not be a issue if you arent sensitive to that region, but it grates on my ears and is why I wont be keeping the Aeon.

Most people seem to not be bothered by it, so it may be just my own hyper sensitivity. Based on graphs it looks like all of the Aeons have huge amounts of air energy so I guess this a trait of the whole line.

1 Like

Hi there. I saw you on the gl2000 thread, have the gl2000 replaced your aeon?

absolutely not, they soundstage betterā€¦ about it really for me personally. gl2k is a bit all over the placeā€¦ compressed, hollow, poor imaging, etc

1 Like

Thatā€™s what others have said too. I think they are overhyped. Are you keeping them?

nope, the copy I had wasnā€™t my own. The copy I have ordered hasnā€™t even come in yet and since drop wants to be rather ridiculous on cancelling the order I will just sell them brand new for what I paid for them.

extremely

How would you describe the sound signature of the aeon flows x?

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has this combo (Aeon Open x with the Rebel Amp) and what are their characteristics. Would you recommend it? what alternatives would you suggest? Better combos for both?

1 Like

I donā€™t have any experience with this combo, but when it comes to paring the rebel amp + Open X would have a warmer sound. If you are going for more of a fun sound, it should be nice. The Open X are not hard to drive as well so if you already have a decent amp they should sound pretty good.

How do these ā€œcansā€ dance when balanced? Any good balanced amp options anyone would recommend?

for a 100+ db/mW pair of cans, balanced makes no difference

Hello,
How good is the R/T closed compared to the Lcd 2C?
According to Dan Clark, there is no difference between R/T and Drop.

What came up occasionally was the cable between Dummer and Vivo.
The Vivo is supposed to be better but costs extra, which makes it almost unattractive.

Is only the Aeon 2 foldable or also this one?

Many have also compared it a bit with the better Hd6xx, is that true?

Lcd2c more bass, aeon more natural timbre

1 Like

How good is the Bass on it?

On the Lcd2c, it does deep and is very thick, almost physical.
On the aeon open x, it is not physical, and it does not slam hard. It is sort of mid focused, kind of like a planar hd6xx

1 Like

Thank you for your information.
Hmm,
I had the Hd 600 here for a short time and didnā€™t think it was that great, although it was supposed to be better for tube amps.
Could the Rt closed be classified roughly in that direction?
I still love the Lcd 2 C and found it much better than the Hd 600.

It definitely scales with better source, like the HD600. The difference is while the HD600 needs high voltage swings from tube amps, the Aeon X needs current. Some tube amps might not provide enough current and power. I donā€™t think it is too picky
The HD6 series cans need tube amps because the impedance rises in bass and treble region . It is more linear for planars. Its just the diaphragm is small and it is tuned like that

1 Like

I got the headphones just under 2 days ago and they are running.
But first, the delivery from the USA to Europe went smoothly.
I didnā€™t buy the Drop X but the R/T closed on Dan Clark Audio.
But since both are the same, it doesnā€™t really matter.
The advantages are more if you order from Dan Clark because of the warranty and the handling is much better.

I was a bit disturbed by the smell, but it was neutralised with a damp cloth and washing-up liquid. it wasnā€™t penetrating, but it was somehow annoying.

The ear pads also creaked slightly, but I was able to fix this with a thimbleful of Elephant Wax, which made the ear pads smoother.
What bothered me a bit was the standard cable, which was a bit stubborn and twisted in itself.
I will make one myself, as I also ordered the connectors at the same time.

Sound: Although the headphones still need time, what I have heard so far is extremely good.
I thought I got one of the best headphones in the price range with the Lcd2c but the R/T can keep up.
There are certainly pros and cons no question.
But in many respects it does a lot better than the Lcd2c, and vice versa.
On tube amps and hybrids, the hybrid amplifier tends to be its own domain and is a real hit. I have the Little Dot 1+ with Brimar tubes as a hybrid amplifier.
But even on tube amps, if the power is there, it has a way of reproducing details and music that takes your breath away.
Especially the backstage area comes out much better than on a transistor amp.
On the transistor amplifier driven by the Singxer Sda 2C, the details are there, but they donā€™t come out as beautifully as on the tube hybrid amplifier.
Otherwise, the R/T Closed is a real ear-pleaser.
From its main signature it is neutral but on the warm side.
Probably the main point of criticism will be the bass, which I cannot classify one hundred percent at the moment.
Depending on the type of bass, it can rumble or bounce, but itā€™s not like that.
In certain bass ranges, the Lcd2c masters certain basses better, but it can also come across as muddy as a first rough analysis.
When I put it on for the first time I knew it would stay.
Iā€™ve always wanted a decent closed-back planar headphone that does its job very well, and the R/T closed certainly does that.
The isolation is also breathtakingly good as soon as the music starts playing you can forget everything around you, thatā€™s how it should be.
All in all, for me it is definitely the best headphone in the price range of planars up to 500$. And quite close to the direct competitor of the Lcd2c. Iā€™m glad to have them both, but with the R/T you have something sensible on your ears without having to look back.

Iā€™ll see if I can differentiate between the pros and cons of the Lcd2c and the R/T.
Although one is open and the other closed, there is a slight variation.
Where I personally have a problem is the comparison of the Sennheiser, which is often used.
I had the Hd600 here for a short time and found it annoying and, from memory, it is absolutely nothing like the R/T.
The R/T is much livelier, more sensitive, more mature, more open and has a completely different character.

3 Likes

to correct this, they are not the sameā€¦ dan clark has already commented on this. RT has more of a V shape than the open x

to note I emailed dan clark myself my response was this

Dear [redacted],

The Re tuned Aeons are different than the AeonX made for Drop. The bass has been expanded for your enjoyment. You will love them!

Stay healthy and safe!

Best Regards,
[redacted]
Dan Clark Audio

also, not sure where the claim of the aeons are like a sennheiserā€¦ they are not even close to mid centric headphonesā€¦ they are designed to be harman tuned which is a more subtle V shape