šŸ”¶ Drop x DCA Aeon Open X

It would def have the more detail, it would have a more precise stage, but itā€™s not going to be a huge jump in width

can always try them and if you donā€™t like them simply message drop for a return. They have a return policy on these right now. However, these are literally one of my all time favorite go-tos right now next to my dt 1990

1 Like

I have the t50rp with shure pads and these are a totally different animal, huge jump in mids and detail. They do have a familiar sound in some ways but a jump up that will be immediately noticeable.

after doing a very lazy amount of research I found that people say that these are amp picky and i was wondering if the liquid spark would be good for these

1 Like

That would be a solid pick imo, would add a nice amount of body to the sound, and would give it solid impact

thanks for the help, cant wait for my wallet to start crying

1 Like

I havenā€™t used that particular amp, but the aeon x seem to respond well/scale well to better equipment. I wouldnā€™t call them picky imo.

I wanted to post this as some confirmation to the rumor thatā€™s been circling around. Some people have been going around spreading the information that the AEON RT edition from Dan Clark is the same headphone as the AEON OPEN X. I reached out to Dan Clark asking about this and making mention that the people are spreading this information. While they didnā€™t go fully indepth on the differences here is the email statement from them

Dear (redacted),

The Re tuned Aeons are different than the AeonX made for Drop. The bass has been expanded for your enjoyment. You will love them!

Stay healthy and safe!

Best Regards,
Sue Regan
Dan Clark Audio

Something to keep in mind in the case you order them. The open x was designed from the Aeon Flow Open with tunings taken from the Ether CX which had a wider soundstage for a closed back and more neutrality in its signature alongside that came the new perforated pads that the new RT has.

RT edition however can be ordered at the same price as open X but it can come already with the balanced cables which can be quite a bit expensive on the market so may be a better option for those wanting to check out this headphone.

1 Like

I donā€™t recall anyone saying definitively they were the same, though I did say they were likely very close. If anyoneā€™s had/heard both to compare, Iā€™d be very interested in the results.

After I read the comment made about them potentially being the same I first sent an email to dan clark audio asking about the two then I went looking through the drop page for open X there was a few claiming these were the exact same. I donā€™t appreciate misleading information so I definitely wanted to place some confirmation on this particular comparison. I was curious on it myself since RT came after open x.

I would definitely be interested in hearing the comparisons though.

Iā€™m reviving a topic here since itā€™s been since July.

Iā€™m taking a careful approach to spending roughly 500 or less on my next upgrade of headphones. I currently am using the TYGR 300r and love them. Use them for Gaming/Music daily. I posted this in the 300 forum already but I just want to keep going with my audio experience. Eventually I realize that going above 500 is going to be kinda pointless for just gaming and so for that point I do plan to get into more music listening once I reach over that boundary and have some variety at least.

With that said, back early 2020 I saw these on BadSeed as his daily driver and he loved them. I can relate as to he also games and always speaks to headphones from that standpoint too.

Still looking into my options. I really REALLY love the look of these headphones and the comfort they seem to provide.

So now that they have been out a while - any thoughts on if these are still considered a top contender at 500?

I think the main thing that has changed is that Dan Clark himself now offers the Aeon Open RT which seems to be a slightly ā€œbetterā€ version of the Open X. According to Dan it has slightly less output above 4k and a little more subbass, which is probably preferable for most people. Most importantly you can at the moment either get a XLR cable or the upgraded VIVO 1/4 cable which usually costs 200 dollars included.

With the Drop Aeon X you can only get the basic 1/4 cable, so it makes more sense to go with the RT unless you have drop credit or something. Either get the upgraded 1/4 cable or just get the XLR one so you can go balanced.

To add to the previous posts, its definitely not the exact same as the Open X, if you check the graphs for it you can see some slight differences, mainly slightly less treble energy as Dan said and more subbass.

I have a pair of Open RTs on the way, so I cant yet give impressions, though I will try to do so when I have time!

Sounds good. Definitely taking my time deciding on my next purchase so will be curious to see the feedback. Not much out there on the RT version when I looked up reviews. That and this fanatic train of the GL2000 is grabbing my attention too!

I guess I can put my sense in a bit here as an owner of the open-x for quite some time now.

The tygrs are a warmer headphone with some treble notes to themā€¦ but a large soundstage and incredibly accurate imagingā€¦ the imaging on the tygr is greater than that of the aeonsā€¦ but in regard to soundstage the aeons have more depth to them and sound more spacious making them a more enjoyable listen in my opinionā€¦ tygrs have that more full sound to them so it will boil on preference.

depends on if you mean competitive gaming. Tygrs are definitely the champ in that regard. as for casual? preference basedā€¦ I absolutely love my aeons for general use and casual gaming that harman tuning is lovely, but you need an amp that can wake them up a bitā€¦ I didnā€™t like mine at first just plugged into like a liquid spark and even some cases of the asgard 3 it just wasnā€™t rightā€¦ I went to Liquid Platinum balanced which I felt was the right fit for me personally.

casual games and music can be taken further than competitivesā€¦ so I feel itā€™s worthwhile if you really want the best sound qualityā€¦ for example cyberpunk over there, despite all of itā€™s bugs, has one of the best sound engines I have heard of lateā€¦ I tried it with a gaming headsetā€¦ compared to my headphones? there is no competition there ā€¦ at all the sound engine of cyberpunk is fantastic and really makes use of a headphones signature.

I would say they are worth a test run all consideringā€¦ but the RT variant may be more worthwhile as it has that more V shape tuning Dan Clark was wanting out of it and you can get the balanced cable out the gate which if you have an amp that can run these balancedā€¦ definitely do so.

Do keep in mind thoughā€¦ the aeons are a relaxed sounding headphoneā€¦ compared to tygrs the tygrs are a more aggressive and in your face headphone by a pretty large degree. Aeons are a planar though so texture, speed, and slam are involvedā€¦ unlike some planars yesā€¦ they do have slam to them RT is a bit better in this regard to my ear.

Open-X should have a return policy on it I believe from drop these days if you want to go that routeā€¦ and Dan Clark has a like 15% restock fee

The aeons have been one of my daily drivers for quite some time, I canā€™t see really getting rid of them any time soon less that gold planar replaces them but I have huge doubts on that in all honesty. Despite all that hype, I havenā€™t seen enough from them to say otherwiseā€¦ all the information is quite vague on them

3 Likes

Hell yes!! For all the flaws, its an excellent game. Iā€™ve always been the gamer that never turns the music off (sometimes down) unless its just trash music. Greatly comprised gaming music deserves to be heard as much as the graphics to be enjoyed.

2 Likes

Only way to get these sub 500 is on the use market?

they are drop exclusiveā€¦ so less they go on saleā€¦ yes the only way to get them sub 500 is used markets. Otherwise you will need to search for the RT variation directly from dan clark for the aeons but these have a sharper V signature than the open x

Could get these for ~ 350ā‚¬ used, mint condition.
Listening to alot of bass heavy things from jazz to hiphop to techno.
Donā€™t want basscannons tho, just speed & impact.
You think these could fit?

Yes, I would say so. I use mine for Progressive and Symphonic Metal and the Bass is excellent. Not just very present, but brilliant quality and execution. Gives the music fullness and impact that not all headphones can achieve. Helps to have a decent headphone amp driving them, but that would pretty much go for anything where you want good bass.

1 Like

How does the tuning pads affect the sound?