DT 770 Pro 80ohm highs vs DT 1990 Pro

Ah ok makes sense

I believe monoprice has a eu store now as well so the liquid spark could also be an option

Do they now, then that could be possible as well, I just recall that it wasn’t an option for most people in the eu in the past

Didn’t know there was a schiit store EU. So the schiit stack (magni 3+ and Modi) might be a good option too. I just haven’t found them on Amazon

Yeah was the case but now…

The modi is something I would still not recommend, as it is not updated and doesn’t sound too great imo. I think if you could get a topping d10 or smsl m100 would be a better choice for the dac

1 Like

https://www.schiit-europe.com/ yep definitely an option but wouldn’t go for the modi right now as a refresh is inevitable

It seems that the liquid spark gear is not available on the eu store unfortunately

There is just a little problem with delivery, because I will be staying in an air bnb, and will not be in the apartment all the time, so I would use the Amazon lockers, or buy it in a physical store.

Ah damn that’s unfortunate

Is the heresy not available on amazon over there?

You could probably contact support to send to a post office. That’s how I do it here but probably different out there so I don’t know…

Going back to your first question. There seem to be two kinds of treble sensitivity. One is just a general sensitivity to all high frequencies. The other is a specific sensitivity to one or more narrow frequency bands. This second kind seems to be due to the length and shape of each person’s ear canals. Both sensitivities, however, are strongly dependent on how loudly you listen.

Since you are fine with the 770/80 that suggests you don’t have the first/general sensitivity and/or don’t listen crazy loud. The 1990 has its spike at 7 to 9 kHz, which is at the high end of the sibilance range. I’d think you’d be able to test for your sensitivity to that range (7000 to 9000 Hz) at various loudness levels using the Online Tone Generator at https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/.

Edit: forgot there is a third variable. Several genres of music that use electronic instruments can have a lot of energy in the treble.

1 Like

Very true, I think the 770 80 ohm also has peaks near that region (although I can’t remember if it is more around 7k or 9k)

I checked for 770 80 graphs before posting. Didn’t see anything done with equipment I’d trust at that high a frequency. But there is some indication it might spike in the 9 to 10 kHz band. A simple listen with the 770 in that range using the tone generator should make it abundantly clear, lol.

True, I just remember it having similar peaks to the 1990 in that regard, but the 1990 had more prominent treble overall with the analytical pads (which I prefer with the 1990)

But the heresy is just an amp right? I would have to buy a separate DAC

Edit: sorry, I will not respond anymore today, will just see what you are talking. New accounts can’t reply more than 21 times in the same day :frowning:

Edit 2: I can’t reply but I can still edit so if someone see this, please respond hahah:

Are there any other amps for my case besides the Atom and heresy?

I will try to buy the heresy with the Topping D10 DAC.

If I don’t manage to get it, than I will stick with de DX3

Correct, you would want to get something like the aforementioned topping d10 or smsl m100 (because the modi isn’t up to par yet imo)

Hey M0N, reviving this thread here! And an update.

So… I bought the 1990 and listened to it for a couple hours today. I liked it… Mostly.

The problem is that compared to my old 770 I think it’s more fatiguing and brighter, and the 1990 is going to be my main headphones now. I can EQ it, but I have the option to return it and get a HD660s. So I wanted to know what are the differences. Mostly soundstage and separation.

Also, I think I wanted a very chill and relaxing pair, rather than that detail/analytical sound the 1990 have. Would you say that the 660s is good for a night session and have a relaxing sound?

Thanks!

I replied in your other thread you made just now lol