šŸ”¶ DUNU SA6 Ultra

Iā€™m just super indecisive and $600 is a lot of money to pay for something I havenā€™t heard and have to base my potential liking off of descriptions you know? I can stomach a blind buy at like $350-400 but 600 is a lot of money :joy:

3 Likes

I totally get that and it makes sense. I just thought you had decided not to cancel so was surprised by the about-face. So now youā€™re hunting for the SA6U on the used market, looking for something else entirely, or are you going IEM demoing before you decide?

Or have you not decided how youā€™re going to decide yet? :wink:

1 Like

Got my set. Canā€™t listen though until later after Iā€™ve been out for dinner.

Comparison incoming between the Ultra and ISN H50 ($295)

Not a fair fight of course, but letā€™s see what you gain by doubling the price!

2 Likes

Just received mine! Excited AFā€¦ upgrading from FH3s, so a big oneā€¦ My dailyā€™s are HD58x with Zen DAC and btr5.

10 Likes

Looking for something else, I would love to demo some sets but unfortunately I live in SC and to the audio world itā€™s pretty much in butt fuck Egypt because I donā€™t even think we have decent headphone stores here let alone somewhere where I can listen to IEMs :joy:
I wouldnā€™t mind to get these but Iā€™d definitely have to hear them first and thatā€™s basically impossible so iā€™ll be on the lookout for some stuff on the used market under $500

2 Likes

What the hell?! Another set has popped up boys.

Little more money but free priority shipping within the CONUS.

1 Like

@Kamron_Howard AYO

Letā€™s pray our boy gets it this time :pray:

Also does anyone know why I canā€™t post listings on head-fi? No add button :thinking:

2 Likes

How old is your account and how many posts do you have? I forget what the qualifications are, but you have to reach a certain membership timeframe and post quota in order to post on the f/s forum.

1 Like

I actually just ordered the Serratus after seeing all the rave about it! I should be good for a while haha :joy:

6 Likes

You really canā€™t make this up :joy:

Enjoy! Heard itā€™s a great set :metal:

5 Likes

Ah that makes sense. Made my acc in august, and I guess I donā€™t comment or react enough. Thanks!

1 Like

For those who own SA6u, try xelastic. The fit I got last night just added another BA to the mix or something :joy:

7 Likes

My setup is quite humble with Macbook ā†’ Letshouer DT02 ā†’ SA6 Ultra (w/Final E Type Tips)
So I have had some time with the SA6 Ultra aaandā€¦ Iā€™ll just shoot some of my thoughts from the hip.

It comes alive only at mid-high to high levels of volume, imo. It is mid centric so you need to up the volume for it to compensate the loss of sensitivity at both ends of the frequency spectrum.

At the same time, I feel like its elevation in the 7-9kHz region is exacerbating the BA timbre.
This coupled with its lean low mids exposes the snappy, quick but ultimately binary nature of BAs.
I find it quite dry, all things considered. This boi reeeaaalllyyy needs something to make it sound more dense, lush, rich etc. This is why I like it so far with the Final E Type tips, although it kills some of the staging capability.

I also donā€™t think you can compare this IEM to the MEST Mk2, it is firmly 2 tiers below that set, except in the category of coherency and detail pertaining to sheer tuning balance, areas at which the MEST Mk2 falters a bit.

3 Likes

The SA6 Ultra is utterly fantastic for its price and especially for someone who likes an analytical take on music WITHOUT it being sterile. Detail and incisiveness of drivers is stellar.

Well, itā€™s all about preferences. Iā€™m a well known disliker of the Mest, as it didnā€™t click my light bulb due to lack of any organic feeling to it. I also donā€™t like to talk about it given my experience with it was very long ago and short. I might be able to re-do it soon.

My SA6u doesnā€™t have any elevation around that mentioned 7-9k area. Thereā€™s indeed BA timbre, but I donā€™t find it as excruciating as most offers in the market, including Mest, where the timbre was lost in the other side of the street. Other than that, Mest is a better set technically wise, especially around the OCD detail part. Calling it a 2 tiers above itā€™s a strech on my head, but again, itā€™s been a while. Iā€™m rather using Anole VX as a benchmark, where the SA6u is a 95% copy, gaining on BA timbre and losing on sheer detail retreival, and costing a poppin 1/5 of the price.

Now, since Iā€™m deep, Iā€™ll indulge you. At 77db @ 440hz I donā€™t think both ends suffer that much from its mid-range focus. I do agree that mid-bass does tho. If you take a look at RSVā€™s or U12Tā€™s bass curve in comparison, you wonā€™t find much, but the kicker is in the upper mid-range.

Where the other two slow the raise to their respective pinna, freeing up more of rest of the spectrum, the SA6 Ultra double downs it. This effect combined with BA nature will result in a less prominent mid-bass in comparison, where the Mest is a slammer. Again, apples to oranges.

Now, In the other end, I donā€™t think extension suffers at all. In fact, Iā€™ll commit to say itā€™s brialliantly done as it glides until 9k, gets a small dip and comes back up, peaking at around 12-13k and slowly gliding again until it falls of the radar at around 18.5k-19k (This is where U12T goes off the charts in comparison). This effect cultiminates into a lot of air and enough breathing room for the mid-range to layer, despite its heavy focus, so you donā€™t get a mushroom omolette in your face, but without over boosting harmonics off the scale so the BA timbre touches your soul until you die.

https://tidal.com/browse/track/93724711

What I just wrote above about separation, layering, treble and upper harmonics can be heard in the above track, if you wish to check it.

Oh and the stage depth. But letā€™s leave that for another time.

8 Likes

Well known hater of MEST who put it in in his own tier list at S- if I remember correctly :sweat_smile:
But I donā€™t get the hate for that set - the perceived timbre my be sometimes weird due to the strange imaging, but I would never say that it is lacking organic feeling to the bone (a bit off of the best in class buds. It just sometimes sounds supernatural, but for example Fleet Foxes albums (which is my organic sound testers) are such a pleasure to listen too!

1 Like

I donā€™t hate Mest. I donā€™t hate anything I have in the upper rankings. Not even Variations. I like some sets way more than others (preference ranking column exists and doesnā€™t influence the other two).

Sigh

Firstly I do have to disclose the following, that I forgot above:

• YMMV
  • Libraries matter more than anything
  • Everyone listens differently
  • 711 couplers have a natural resonance peak that most people align @ 8k hertz
  • Reviewers are still humans and can only be as objective as they can
  • Volume matching matters more than most stuff in a chain, besides music

Now, with that out of the way, letā€™s go back to the table I guess.

Thereā€™s a difference between subjectivity and objectivity. My tier list is full of incoherencies and is being rebuilt as most people know, but the core is there.

MEST, especially the Mk2, signs of incoherency (disconnection between the mid-bass and the rest of the lower mid-range) and artificial tone are the opposite of Iā€™d call organic or natural.

MEST segment is brilliant to give you an hyper-realistic sound. We could discuss if thereā€™s anywhere near ā€œlife-likeā€, but letā€™s leave that on the side. Did you ever saw me saying MESTs are bad? Sure, you will see me saying Z1R, Trio or U12T trump all over it, but thatā€™s preference added to objectivity, which translates into subjectivity.

Thereā€™s no giant killers, as those are just giants that fit your library better.

And I hate MEST so much that I approached you to buy yoursā€¦

3 Likes

Nymz, I did not have have hard feelings in mind writing this comment and I think you took it way harder that I wanted it to sound.
Initially I wrote ā€œdisliker of MESTsā€ quoting your own words, but my autocorrection triggered, so I changed it to the only synonym I could think of - and hater in my dictionary is not having such heavy weight as it should beā€¦
And you know, this just sounded funny in my ear to read that you call yourself a disliker/hater of Mest and have it in S- (both in overall and personal tier now that I checked) and you approached me to buy that expensive shot as well just to have reference (which I know was a good will for any review readers.)
So yes, that would be about it, also I needed to defend a set that I have listed at the moment so not to loose interest :smiley:

1 Like

No harm done. I was posting as nymz and not Ricardo :stuck_out_tongue:

The reference thing is also because I donā€™t need it, itā€™s more of benchmarking. @igor0203 is prohibint me from buying it :frowning:

As Ricardo, Iā€™m off to the sun with U12T, buds, and a couple of other sets Iā€™m still deciding on. SA6 Ultra might be one of them.

After Ripples cools off, gimme a nudge to loan you the other TGX offers, I think uā€™ll like them as well :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Yes, I get it - you need to protect your reviewersā€™ legacy and my comment could be read as a call-out :slightly_smiling_face:

In regards to TGXears - yup sure, but I am waiting for something in non MX500 shell, hope that his planar would be in Totem shell

But back to the topic I almost sold this MEST couple of days ago when SA6U had a launch and I wanted to use the money directly to buy those DUNUs, but maybe it is better that I did not. It looks like they are kind of sidegrades at best

1 Like