Dynamic, Planar or Electrostatic

Probably because as you noted, they may take dominance in the future but right now it’s still mainly the big three imo. It’s fairly prevalent in speakers but really has yet to reach the commonality and affordability in headphones

Oh yeah, just being a wise guy.

And on the topic, I actually don’t know what driver type I enjoy the most, as I have a fairly varied collection

For sure, many riches…

yeh, you’d need one of those triple driver setups where you have dynamic, planar and estat / ribbon all together. found one yet?

that said, I would also be in the dynamic camp. I was floored by the Stellia more than I have any other headphone I’ve listened to. granted, I’ve only listened to one other summit-fi class headphone, the HE1000 V2.

With all three? Outside of an iem no. And the iem’s are very hit or miss

I know of multi-driver IEM’s…but multi-driver IEM’s that mix dynamic, planar and estat / ribbon? who? what? when? how much?

Well there are iems with an estat, dynamic, and ba which are interesting. Also iems with a piezo ba and dynamic.

1 Like

that’s cool. examples?

I own the Hyla CE5 and I like that (1Piezo 2BA and 1DD). The Shuoer EJ07 has the dynamic, ba’s, and the estat, and there are more that are both more expensive and cheaper

1 Like

I can’t help but dislike dynamic. In the 70’s, 80’s, 90’s and 2000’s I never knew of planar headphones. every headphone I saw was dynamic. and I also heard about the Stax headphones with the electrostatic drivers. but never planner. not until recently. maybe I missed them? when did planar headphones become commercialized? Is that just in the New Millennium or was it before 2000?

Anyway I’m loving planar now I think it is an awesome form of driver. recently I got two of the best planar and dynamic headphones around. the Sendy Aiva and the Focal Elex. and I was surprised to find when I turned up the volume on my amp I can hear the elex’s driver clicking while the Aivas handled it fine. that really bugged me. And now i dislike dynamics more than ever.

I really love the electrostatic drivers but they are just too much work and worry. they need a special amp which are expensive. and if you get any dust on the driver it causes an imbalance. I don’t know if they’re easy to clean but it doesn’t look like it.

So I’m still a planar man. But if the next great headphone comes out and floors everyone and its dynamic, im gonna buy it. But i think dynamic drivers should be discouraged.

Planar was typically called orthodynamic when it was older, and there are some vintage models to look into. Also the elex has that issue, and not all dynamics do this at louder volumes.

Also if you get dust in a estat it’s not super easy to clean out if it gets stuck in there

Really don’t agree with this statement but whatevs

clicking has always been a problem with dynamic drivers. and also consider this, how big can a dynamic driver get? a planar can be huge, look at the hifimans.

Any good AMT driver headphones?

Besides the upcoming HEDDphone idk

1 Like

Dynamic drivers can get pretty huge. Also is your only frame of reference for dynamic the elex? Planars are not immune to issues at higher volumes. Some single sided magnet planars start to distort and slam themselves into the side of the magnet structure at higher volumes, creating a clicking noise, so planar can have a problem with clicking

Let the market decide.

If course, but I don’t think creating good dynamic drivers should be discouraged. If someone can make a better design with a dynamic, I wouldn’t want them to switch to planar or another technology for the sake of it. Dynamics are not going anywhere imo

wow, that looks cool. “(AMT) is an electrodynamic transducer that allows to move air significantly faster than common voice coil, magnetostatic (planar) or electrostatic systems. Their traditional piston-like movement is overcome by a folded diaphragm that squeezes out air four times faster: A breakthrough for capturing more details in a musical recording.”

sounds promising. hope its not too expensive when its released

It seems like it will be priced under 2k which is pretty attractive. AMT has been in speakers for awhile but not really in a headphone. Going to buy it when it comes out. Also seems that it can be driven by a normal headphone amp too