Dynamic, Planar or Electrostatic

Talking of interesting drivers, has anyone tried the Kennerton Magni with it’s Graphene membrane driver?

isn’t that just another variant of a dynamic, Poly?

Yes but it’s the only shipping driver I’m aware of using a Graphene based substrate.
It ought to make the driver very fast for a dynamic, even faster than some of the metal drivers. And I’m intrigued as to how well it works.
I know there are a few other headphones planning to use them.

1 Like

Only down note is we are quite a few months out on the initial stated release.

They go back to the Heil driver of the 70’s, and were reborn in the maybe late 90’s or early ott’s. They make very good tweeters and super tweeters. In my experience they are the 2nd best type of driver after ribbons for high frequencies, and they are often easier to handle and run than ribbons. I’m talking loudspeakers here BTW.

I only know about the Heddphone and the beautiful ESS 422 (Dynamic + AMT).

The ess are alright but I don’t think they really take advantage of the amt imo

1 Like

Oh so you heard these… are they neutral/natural sounding? Bassy? Treble-oriented?

for the price it’s pretty good but might need some mods for comfort. Bass might be a bit lacking at times out of some amps, fairly even sounding, good sounstage and decent imaging, highs are detailed enough without being fatiguing. It is good but if you are after the amt sound, I don’t think it showcases that

1 Like

@Antpage2 your Aeolus is dynamic in case you weren’t sure. I picked dynamic from the poll choices given, and would have picked dynamic if iems and any of the other esoteric options were included. I like tubes, and I don’t have to worry if a dynamic headphone will play well with them the way I do with planars. Estats are their own thing, but I only own the 95x so my opinion may change if I decide to go deeper down that rabbit hole. I love a lot of the planars I own and have heard, but there is a reason I keep reaching for my Fostex Ebony and Clears over the planars. Most planars wow me initially with their bass response, but I listen to mostly 60s and 70s rock, Motown, girl groups, funk, and soul. I think a lot of that music was recorded knowing home stereos and speakers were dynamic and possibly tube based, so that combo works best for me.

Also, cool to see @bagwell359 hitting these forums hard and reviving a lot of dead threads I missed with his knowledge

1 Like

Thank you very much for this info, I want these since I saw these, AMT or not heh.

And yeah I know, they seem to be like 5lbs. Shrugs.
(Obviously not 5lbs though lol)

I mean they are good headphones, but honestly I wouldn’t be able to tell you they are using an amt in them (although that could be a good thing)

For my treble sensitive AF ears that’s an excellent thing. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well I mean if you are curious… You could find a good deal on them

Well they were 200 and they’re 150 already :+1:

ESS - the tweeters were ahead of their time, and they usually were two ways crossing into some mediocre bass/mid of 7-9" at like 800 Hz. The bass was underdamped AND didn’t move much air. Mids confused and out of time sync. Only the tweeter in its range said, this is a real speaker to be taken seriously. The other issue was that they were sold by Tech Hi-Fi one of the lesser outfits when it came to ethics.

I also heard the Ohm F around the same time, one of the most overrated speakers of all time. Although used within its parameters it certainly kills junk like Bose 901’s.

No it’s when I heard the Dahlquist DQ-10 w/ Sequerra ribbons, and the ProAc EBS (silk dome), to go with my experience w/ panels (Quad ESL 57, MG 1, MG 2, KLH 9’s) that I knew that was the direction for me, and forgot about AMT’s and type F’s.

I feel like I’m somewhat indifferent to the driver type tbh. I really like my svs ultra bookshelf even though it’s nothing special driver wise, and my pmc bb6 xbd-a even though there’s nothing super special about the driver type (besides the soft dome midrange)

I guess my BMR Philharmonitors are fairly interesting because of their ribbon and BMR driver combo

they definitely need a pad change, the pads they come with actually cover the drivers lol

1 Like

That’s one of the ways they tune them, when you change the pads to something that doesn’t, it’s hard to get back the stock sound. That being said, they do take well to a pad change and that’s something I would recommend doing

you got a good point there. true that most music was recorded with dynamics in mind. also the tube amps. although im sure that tube sound can be reproduced and has been, and then theres the hybrids. IDK maybe i judge dynamics too hard. I just really love new tech especially in headphones, planars are exciting and dynamics are old hat to me lol.

Actually I’m very hierarchical about tweeter drivers in particular.

Best -> Worst

Ribbons, planar magnetic ribbons, estats, AMT, domes of less than 1 1/8" (some metal, most silk), domes bigger than 1 1/8" have poor dispersion, some horn loaded domes, not most;

paper cones (treated or otherwise), inverted domes, horns (beamy, peaky, honky)

Mids: estats, apogee ribbons, planar, large domes, cones; horns

Woof: Cones (Gradient subs for Quads and ML’s), big Maggies, bigger estats, regular cones

I love the BMR - IMO it’s the cheapest super hi fidelity speaker available. Better than the Triton 5, Maggie 1.7i, KEF LS50, and the Salk’s I know. A Scan-Speak woofer and Raal tweeter and wild mid? Classic. It was comfy on a Pass X-250, but to get any volume in a medium room probably need a min of 50 watts. Concur?

I haven’t made a speaker transaction since I sold my Verity Parsifals, but these are better than my rebuilt Triangle Celius 202’s with the Fountek X3 ribbons (no Raal).