E-600 Fully Balanced Amplifier (Chinese) warning

So one balanced cable and I hear audio in both channels…hope it’s just mine. What a shame.

This track is not in other pics!

EDIt: So input XLR is fine and correctly configured but when it gets to output it’s joined. I will have to test another balanced out to verify it’s not my headphones.

So using an XLR to RCA which should use the positive and negative and works fine to the Balanced out. It’s when you put in two 3 pin XLR the XLR out has crossed signals so if you have one XLR in you still hear it in both sides. Funnily enough XLR to SE is good. With one XLR to RCA in I replicate the issue by joining the negatives so I wonder how are the RCA cables wired. When I switch from say RCA to XLR I can hear a faint sound when volume up so it’s possible the shared negative is connected to the Balanced section of the circuit somehow. It’s kind of a cluster f$#@ and pissy as I freaking love how it sounds.

It could be I have a lemon unit. Luckily I paid a little more on eBay and sellers must provide a return label, refund or replacement no questions.

I’m sorry, I didn’t get a notification for some reason that you posted here. I have the Muses02 op amp. I have not tried the balanced output yet as I am still waiting on a custom XLR cable to come in the mail. I’m sorry that your unit seems to be having trouble… that blows. I don’t have all the gear or cables that you do so I can’t test any of those things. Did you decide to send the unit back? If you did and try reordering I think you would be happy with the Muses02 they sound great on mine with the Verum 1. I think you are right about the Class A part. When on low gain it doesn’t get even warm, but on high gain I left it on over night and the unit didn’t get hot but it definitely got warm, I would say a bit warmer than my Magni 3.

Hi Guys

Fixed all the issues and the only thing is the L/R channels are reversed, a simple cable swap fixes it. Other than that it sounds good. I would throw caution to the wind and purchase from eBay so you have the 30 day money back guarantee, seller must provide a shipping label.

There may be newer revisions and nobsound on ebay confirmed the have it fully tested but they charge a little more. Even a redo of the markings and color swap on the rca and it’s good to go.

I’m glad to hear it brother! I’m still loving mine and wont send it back even with the mislabeled rca problem (colors on my RCA inputs still matched the right orientation though). If you ever get the hankering for it could you beta test the muses03 for us :wink:

So what I am gathering is the L/R are switched and it supports balanced connectors. All faults aside it has crap tons of power and sounds good. I know someone else who got one but had distortion issues.
It’s kinda a crapshoot for $100. You essentially get a powerful amp with lots of outputs.

Edit: there are slight variations and different labelling such as Nobsound. These might have some of the issues fixed.

I got the E600 with MUSES2 yesterday that I ordered from AliExpress. The shipping was very quick, only 6 days to Norway. Out of the box it sounds very good! I am using the EarStudio ES100 as a DAC. Headphones: M1060C and AKG 240 Sextett. I bought the AKGs 12 years ago and this is the first time I been able to drive them properly. I got the DragonFly Cobalt one month ago and it sounds good with the M1060C, but the ES100 and E600 setup sounds much better. More details, space and soundstage. It might be that the DragonFly is not powerful enough to drive M1060C properly.

I have not experienced any problems with my device so far, but I have not been able to test the XLR connections yet. I have ordered XLR and balanced cables, so I will probably get them in 2 weeks time.

Thanks for the tip to buy this!

1 Like

I just ordered mine lets see how it goes. i got a hell of a deal on ALI!

I got the XLR cables today and the output gives a lot of static noise. I will test the XLR outputs with a multimeter to see if it sends signals on the pluss and minus channels.

1 Like

what could be the problem of the static? op amps?

I found the problem that was causing the noise. I use a 2.5mm TRRS to two XLRs and the cable manufacturer had joined the minus and grund channels. Now i fixed it and everything works good. I am using it with the Thieaudio Phantom planars. When using the singel ended input the headphones had some issues in the higher frequencies, but the balanced setup made the sound more open and the image wider. It gives very good separation and it feels like experiencing my music in a new way. It sounds fantastic!

That is great to hear. i finally got a tracking number so it will be another week or 2 before i get it. Which op amps did you choose for your amp??

I got the MUSES2. The amp shipped very fast. Only 6 days form when I ordered until I got i delivered on the door. Looking forward hearing your experience with it :slightly_smiling_face:

I was a bit skeptical on the authenticity of the opamp’s. So i went with the base model and i will get better opamp’s later.

I don’t blame you on being skeptical of the op amps being real. I got the E-600 with the Muses02 as well. I was scared that they could be fakes too. I had an issue when the amp was first shipped with one of the op amps that wasn’t installed correctly. After I opened the system up and fixed it I found out they were real. The easiest way to tell is that the metal for one is reallllllly soft compared to other op amps and the color has to be silver in color. But for peace of mind I don’t blame you. I hope it works great buddy!

I finally got the amp about 2 weeks ago. i can say wow does this thing sound really good and clean AF. I am still working on the XLR balanced side. I need to source a XLR headphone cable. I will post back when i get that figured out.

Good to hear that you liked it! I am using the Earstudio ES100 for now with a TRRS 2.5mm to two XLRs. If works great, but needed a bit of mod on the cable because minus signal was connected to ground. Are you going to change the op-amps?

I plan too in the future. I mainly bought this amp for it’s balanced capabilities. The swapable opp amps is a bonus. Did you fix the balanced issue? and how did you do it?

Edit: One thing i just noticed today is there is a slight in balance to the left which is noticeable at a really low volume. No static at all in any connection type (Balanced pre outs untested or headphone balanced out) or changing volume. XLR in (Balanced) to 1/4 out is wired correctly as i can tell, but i don’t have a balanced headphone cable yet to test full capabilities. I will update once i get it.

I have board version 1.7 if anyone is interested

Hey guys, I know this thread is quite old now but I want to shed some light on some recent information that I received from the Verum-Audio team, this may answer why some people are having issues with the balanced headphone-out (Firstly I’ll tell you what happened). After a a few weeks of owning the Verum 1’s I noticed a channel imbalance. I dealt with it for as long as I could before I finally RMA’d them back to the Ukraine to have the issue fixed. Before I sent them in I was running them balanced on the E-600 w/muses02 op-amp and all was great besides the imbalance. When I got them back I plugged them into the same equipment with the same cable and the drivers would randomly distort, never in the exact same spot or frequency (for those of you that already know what’s coming don’t spoil it for those that don’t. I didn’t). I tried them with an unbalanced cable (XLR cables still from the DAC to the AMP) and they sound about right. I contacted the Verum team about it and they said the headphone drivers that I originally had were rated at 11-12 ohms and now I had the drivers that were the intended spec of 8 ohms. I told him what headphone amp I had and after a few hours he got back to me and said that the E-600 doesn’t produce enough current for low ohm headphones and I should get a new amp. After looking at the amp further he also told me that the Chinese amp cheated and is not actually balanced. SO…for anyone having problems with the balanced portion of this amp you may be running headphone with an ohm load too low for this thing to power. The E-600 sounds perfectly great on my 80 ohm Vokyl Erupts.

I also wanted to add that I found these on Amazon for $15 or less that covers the XLR ports. I got them in nickel color. They are a bit shiney for my tastes but I think really helps the look of this amp look much better. They look EXACTLY like the Audio Quest ones that sell for $40. The only difference is that these don’t have a logo (which I prefer).

https://www.amazon.com/BEKER-Female-Reducing-Insulation-Stopper/dp/B07T8KFH1W/ref=sr_1_27?keywords=xlr+covers&qid=1581556826&sr=8-27