Earbuds Discussion Thread

Budget? And music genres? And can you handle MX500 shells?

1 Like

Saber 3, going from iems to buds you will usually feel a lack of bass unless the bud is bass boosted which the Saber 3 is.

And it has the RG39 shell so you will have an extremely good comfort and fit.

If you are interested PM me.

5 Likes

Yep 100% :+1:

3 Likes

O.K…this got my interest. Gonna go check out your website. Qian 39 shells are by far the best-fitting earbuds for me, and a set that actually has bass too? Nice bonus.

3 Likes

You know what to do next then. :wink:

3 Likes

Info is also over here:

1 Like

How is the fit on them? I had the Serratus but could never make them fit no matter what I did, if they’re that big I might as well not even waste the money haha

I’ve got that set (mx500 shell) and I have to reposition them from time to time to maintain a fit, not a deal breaker for me but somewhat annoying.

Riku’s RG39 shell is a fit and forget but like all things fit related it’s personal so ymmv.

RG39 left and MX500 right…

2 Likes

Ah I see. Then yes, answer is Rikubuds custom shells. Just a heads up though, Riku house sound is bassier than TGXEAR, but I’m sure Riku will point you towards a suitably tuned model :slight_smile:

I actually like bass so that won’t be a problem. Do you think earbuds sound better than IEMs?

That’s very much “apples to oranges”, and can only really apply by comparing one specific bud against another specific IEM. IEMs tend to be more technical IMO, where earbuds can come off more natural in presentation and almost speaker-like. Buds are basically the portable version of open-back headphones, where IEMs are more like a closed-back used for monitoring. Specific models and tunings (and personal preferences or use-cases) apply as always, but I think they both have their places in a collection.
Case in point, when I’m on the road I typically take 2-3 IEMs with me, 2-3 earbuds and I usually have a pair of Porta-pros tucked away in my luggage as well. I pull out whatever strikes my mood.

1 Like

I think it’s a lot easier for earbuds to not have sibilance but still have excellent clear mids and treble. It’s harder for IEMs to achieve this as they sit inside the ear (hard but not impossible).

I prefer earbuds because TGXEAR sets sound so natural to me. That being said, I can’t use them at work unless it’s a quiet day because we have an open office plan :unamused:

Note: this response is very genre dependent. My music doesn’t have much sub-bass or extreme treble

1 Like

When you say IEMs are more technical, are they more detailed? Or just better at separation, imaging and staging?

That’s definitely one thing I’ve noticed with IEMs, at louder volumes they definitely can be sibilant. I’ve tried probably about 8 pair at this point and I think the only one I didn’t have the problem with was the Raptgo Hook X but it just wasn’t my style

Imaging and separation, yes. Staging is different; most buds will destroy most IEMs for soundstage, they have a far-more open presentation, more akin to speakers or open-back headphones. IEMs can also GENERALLY tend to handle subbass and upper treble extension better (as @ttorbic mentioned), but this is not a universal rule and lots of buds from TGXGear and @Rikudou_Goku can give you all of the subbass or upper treble you could want.
Edit: I have to reiterate, do NOT go thinking of buds or IEMs in terms of absolutes. Specific models will excel at different things, across many different price ranges. They are neither redundant nor completely unique.

6 Likes

I’m conflicted here haha, I love the imaging and separation I get with IEMs but I also have a pair of Sony 1000-xm4s and I think I can hear the difference in staging you mentioned when I throw those on. Vocals, instruments and mids are much more pronounced on my Yume IIs but the XM4s sound much less in my head and handle bass way better. If I could get something that does it all at least good I would happy but it seems like there’s always some compromise in some area

This question is too specific and it would be easier to simply look at it like this.

Do you prefer open-back headphones over closed-back headphones? If so, go for buds. If not go for iems.

As for the bass thing, iems do sub-bass better than buds, buds simply do not reach as low as iems do in the sub-bass due to their lack of seal in comparison to iems. (which is similar to the headphone closed-back/open-back situation.)

Upper-treble wise, IS more elevated on iems simply because they ABSOLUTELY need it to NOT sound too congested or lacking airyness. Buds do not have that problem so they dont really need that much gain in the upper-treble compared to iems.

If you like the Sony tuning, then my Rikubuds follows the Sony tuning fairly closely (I am a huge sony fanboy after all).

4 Likes

I’ve owned one pair of open back(Sundara) and one closed back(some Sony that I for the life of me cannot remember the name of) and I didn’t really like the Sundaras, I remember liking the Sonys but thinking they were too quiet. I’m not sure if one of each kind of headphone is enough experience to know which preference is for me you know?

Also I use the EQ on the app, I could post a picture of the EQ configuration I use if that would help suggest what kind of sound I like. I’m really bad at describing what I like in audio terms haha

Those 2 have a totally different tonality so that will affect it as well. Sundara is VERY bright and bass lite IMO. Sony is usually associated with “V-shaped”, “Warm”, “bassy” or “dark” descriptions.

Well, if you dont want to just try out a Rikubud first, then you could try the Qian39 and see how that sounds to you.

That would be a safe starting place; @Kamron_Howard2 PM me later, I think I have a pair of Qian39 just sitting around at home if you want them.

1 Like