Earbuds Discussion Thread

I’m just basing off what I’m reading here FiiO FF5 Japan Fastest Review and Actual Device Introduction, Comparison with FF3 (earl4proxyvoting.com)

They say the FF5’s bass is attenuated compared to the FF3, and coming from the Beyers, would you say I might be underwhelmed by it? My main use cases are movies and singleplayer games hence why I think I should lean towards something with a “bass emphasis”. Although of course I can just get both, lol!

Yes. I think the bass on the FF5s is light compared to your average Beyer.

1 Like

I’ve only been listening to them for ~12 hours now, but I think @Rikudou_Goku 's Grand Alter Saber 2 is now my default rec for an all-rounder Earbud. These things have incredible extension at both ends (while the lowest subbass won’t rattle your brain, it’s actually there), fantastic staging and a balance that leaves nothing to be desired IMO. If you are a Budhead and have a chance to try these, DO IT!

9 Likes

Amazing! Classic question though - did you have a chance to compare them against Serratus?

2 Likes

I have yet to “take the plunge” on any TGXears buds, but they’re on the prospective list! I will say that I did some A/B this morning between the Grand Alter Saber 2 and Grand Rider 1, and while the Rider can definitely still hold its own, it’s a more relaxed, warm overall listen and I definitely think that I prefer the GAS2. The Rider has the soundstage width advantage, but the GAS2 has more precise imaging. The dynamics on the GAS2 are also unlike anything I have heard on a bud before; while it is by no means overblown, there is solid tactile thump on these (but only when the track calls for it)!
I may scoop a used Serratus or other TGXears bud down the line, but with these, I am in no hurry for sure! I’m also probably going to either put my other Rikubuds up for sale, or at the very least, put them on tour for anyone that’s been curious.

6 Likes

A Merry Christmas to all the Buddyites (word? :smile:) :beers:

14 Likes

If Serratus is seriously as much better than Grand Rider as the hype is making it out to be, then I’m scared.

Cause Grand Rider is the tits!

5 Likes

I have both - they are very different - definitely not a case of a “direct upgrade from” situation.

But yes Serratus has a clarity and balance that Grand Rider if in use an all-rounder misses.

4 Likes

This’s gonna be sooo much fun :loud_sound: :metal:…iBasso DX312, MacBook Pro (both Amazon HD) iFi iDSD Micro, xDuoo MT-604 and Little Dot MKII (both the tube amps are running non og tubes)…

13 Likes

Forward I’ve not had a whole lot of time to do stuff but the Little Dot MKII run out of :muscle: so I’ve switched the jumpers to a Mid setting gonna see what that does…again for me I’m not a reviewer so “gain” is only what it can bring to the listening experience…all gains v’s all gains :smiley:

2 Likes

Just received the TGX Ripples. Fantastic earbud! Everything I’d read about them being TOTL in terms of detail/resolution and dynamics is definitely true to my ears!

I just got into earbuds and one thing I’ve noticed is insertion depth or amount of “seal” you can get greatly varies tonality and technicalities.

So, for the Ripples if I just have them more relaxed they lack sub-bass but have a soundstage and tonality very similar to my Sennheiser HD6XX headphones. If I jam and twist them in my ears they have sub-bass and sound much warmer and darker in general and soundstage is closer and resolution is perceived to be less (though probably isn’t. Just more subdued.)

Of course, there’s tons of room in-between, which I’m tinkering with. And which makes earbuds very interesting, IMO

But due to this, I wouldn’t recommend earbuds to a beginner in the audiophile hobby but definitely for the more experienced as long as you don’t mind tinkering!

11 Likes

Hey welcome to HFGF :smiley:

Haven’t used buds for years until getting the Serratus, but seal is never a thing with buds unlike IEM’s, just hang them and let them do their :metal: I found the serratus
to be more source :zap:dependent than anything…glad you like them :smiley: :notes::loud_sound::peace_symbol:

6 Likes

Yeah, “seal” definitely isn’t the right word, haha. Perhaps insertion depth? :thinking:

Oh and source is the Qudelix 5k. Runs everything I’ve thrown at it at volumes I’m comfortable and even uncomfortable listening at!

2 Likes

Ah, and thanks! :person_raising_hand:t2:

1 Like

It’s probably a fit issue. You tried to twist the earbuds after insertion? I believe TGX has included a helpful diagram on the back of the brand card?

4 Likes

Welcome, brother! I think you’ll be right at home here on HFGF :sunglasses:

Congrats on the Ripples, they seem like a dream bud from what I’ve heard!

3 Likes

Could just be a “me” thing. :person_shrugging:t2:

Thanks! Been lurking for a while and I see it’s a great community you guys have built here. :hugs:

4 Likes

My pleasure! I like to see this place as a really tight-knit family of a bunch of audio-geeks who care for the hobby, but most importantly, one another. I hope you enjoy your stay :call_me_hand:

6 Likes

How do you wear them?

The trick I found is to wear them angled/diagonally.

5 Likes

Yeah that results in the warmest and darkest sound and is what TGX recommends on his insta. It’s not the most comfortable way to wear them for me for now but perhaps my ears will adjust.

Honestly, though, when I say the sound is warm and dark it’s not bad. I’d actually say it’s very similar to the Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk, which most find to be “neutral” in terms of IEM tuning. I’ve just been using the aforementioned Sennheiser HD6XX most recently which has a brighter sound.

2 Likes