Earbuds Discussion Thread

I’ve noticed that you’re using the term wet timbre and wet bass - can you explain it a bit more? I’ve never come across it and I’m struggling to find examples of what that might sound like

2 Likes

Here’s our @WaveTheory explaining the term wet…

3 Likes

All these shorts are ridiculously helpful.

Sub’d :+1: @WaveTheory nicely done, sir :handshake:

4 Likes

think of it like this:

iems = closed back hps
earbuds = open back hps

Might be easier to see it like that (assuming you got experience with open and closed back hps though).

6 Likes

Hey guys, which earbud around 10$ bring best value right now? I mainly using IEMs, now i just need a earbud for new and fresh “feeling” sometimes :joy::joy:

Depends on what you are listening to/prefer, but the KBear Stellar and/or Qian39 (if you can find them cheap enough) would be my go-to buds for a Tenner. If you can stretch your money a little further, Yincrow X6 is still a value GOAT.

1 Like

Vido: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002754845953.html
Qian39: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32824719611.html

Those are the starter recs nowadays.

1 Like

I feel the need to shout them out; KBear still has my favorite case for buds available, and they are DIRT CHEAP ATM: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255801174672026.html
Perfect storage size for 1-2 pairs of buds, or a small pair of IEMs.

3 Likes

Ah good glad you found them in stock!

EDIT: Speaking of KBEar… it’s probably meant to be crap to anyone who really knows and enjoys buds… but compared to other budget ones it’s the one I enjoy most: The KBEar Stellar. Massive driver, and a lovable analog sound that takes me back to cassette tape players in all the right ways.

2 Likes

And available on Amazon Prime - Interesting … Thanks for the rec, man. I might pick these up to get the juices flowing again.

4 Likes

If I’m at work and other people have arrived and might drop in or say hi passing my room, I wear them as a more “open” solution to IEMs… and I always end up having a great time.

2 Likes

Definitely the biggest benefit of cheap buds. Throw em in anytime, you get the chance to hear music but you also aren’t completely vulnerable to assassinations or ninjas yielding shurikens … I’m in.

3 Likes

So you got me thinking about them. I’m doing a heckload of grading right now so I put them in. Not just “hey these are nice” I legitimately REALLY ENJOY them. I’m just on some Amazon station atm but these have all sounded great:

Here she comes again - Royksopp
You Wish - Nightmares on wax
Finally Moving - Pretty lights (funny when it followed You Wish - exact same sample used)
Awake - Tycho

Like I said, just a “similar artists” list on Amazon music but all good so far.

Before that also

Swim and sleep (like a shark) - Unknown Mortal Orchsetra

3 Likes

In love with the $400 Maestro Minis, and still wanna get in the gutter with a $10 earbud.

This is when I love this hobby! :grin: :smile:

2 Likes

Solid solid recs - hell, I’ll give these a shot on my IEM of choice I brought today to work, I trust your music recs after I read you enjoy Men I Trust :sunglasses:

LOL more like obsessed, right?! :joy: it’s a love hate relationship, that’s for damn sure :smiling_face_with_tear:

Oh! I wasn’t necessarily vouching for the tracks as being bangers, just that I liked what the Stellar were doing while listening to them.

The beginning of “Numb (Chill Mix)” by Elderbrook just came on (still on the same “artists like Royksopp” station) and although overall it’s a fairly ordinary track (like several of the above) the resonance it comes through with is really quite emotional, regardless of songwriting quality.

I’ll let you know if I’m recommending a track by virtue of the track itself - I don’t want you to think I’m reccing the tracks above beyond “they’re fine I didn’t skip them” :rofl:

1 Like

Fair enough! Haha how do these do for electronic/dance type music like say … daft punk (surprise surprise)? I feel like an analog sound would go so nicely with their first two albums - especially Homework. A song like Phoenix for example. That song just neeeeeeds a warm lower mid range because of the almost screeching synth that plays throughout. Plus that bass line is PHAT

1 Like

Yoooo so I had a :exploding_head: moment. I decided to change up how the Serratus sit on my ear and I’m very glad I did! I adjusted them to point a little toward the back of my head vs square on my ear and everything warmed up just enough. The bass feels a tad bit fuller for me in this position and the sharpness of the treble calmed down enough. The difference is not huge but its noticeable to my ear and I’m enjoying the Serratus a lot more now

6 Likes

You seem to have a really dangerous work :skull_and_crossbones:

LOL

Very dangerous, I’m surrounded by raging bulls all day :sweat_smile: