Earbuds Discussion Thread

That’s a big boi haha. In my line of work, we’d use X-ray spectrometers to determine chemical composition, but I don’t think I can take one of these into work haha. I know hobbyists generally rely on visual cues like colour and texture since they lack access to analytical instruments, but i haven’t seen enough to pass judgment. It certainly is shiny though!

have you come across this article? Believing In Beryllium - A Sound Belief • Audio Reviews

Seen that. But its all about the implementation of the coating as well as the tuning that matters. You can have a gold driver and it could be shit due to the tuning…

Ironically there IS an actual gold coated driver.

1 Like

lol bling for a part that doesn’t normally see the light of day haha

Do you know if drivers are polymers coated with Be, or actual solid Be? I’m guessing it’s a coating of sorts (like vapour deposition), but all the material properties mentioned in that article is based on solid Be (e.g., Young’s modulus, vibration conduction, etc). Not sure how these findings translate to polymers with a very very thin Be coating…

its definitely not solid BE. Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD) and Powder Metallurgy (Powdered Metal) as the Audioreviews article mentions are the usual methods. Dunu has talked about it before on hf.

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ve read a bit about their tech a while ago. They really seem to conduct proper in-house R&D. I would love to own a DUNU with their ECLIPSE DD one day.

I hope your Be drivers are high quality! Then you just add in your tuning sauce and voila you got a winner!

1 Like

Yeah, I do have a model (MX500) with bery driver. Wont make too many though since they do have some risks to health…

1 Like

Yeah, safety first! looking forward to seeing updates in the future!

1 Like

Good thing I ordered the LBBS on the April 27th while it was on sale then, because of your consistent recommendation.

I like the graphs of your Saber earbud prototype.

2 Likes

(its probably final, not a prototype lol.)

1 Like

Can Beryllium dust shake off the diaphram like that. Or are you concerned about your own exposure from extensive handling during earbud assembly?

1 Like

I am concerned about leftover bery dust from the workers handling/touching the driver.

A guy in the medical industry warned me about it as well as another big chifi company when I asked about it.

2 Likes

Hmm yeah that sounds plausible…can you like wash the drivers in mineral oil? At the very least, gloves + mask?

havent heard of using mineral oil like that lol.

I do use a fume extractor (usb pc fan ftw) but I do admit I dont use gloves nor mask, it makes it harder to solder stuff with the gloves and I struggle using masks since it usually clouds my glasses. :rofl:

1 Like

mineral oil so it won’t corrode any metal parts.

do you stick an activated carbon filter onto that PC fan? off-the-shelf solder fume extractor fans use those filters. they are cheap to buy on AE.

i feel ya - i use a microscope at work a lot, and my glasses and the eyepieces always fog up lol. You’d also need like FFP3 or some properly certified mask to really protect you from fine particles

I actually just have it pointed out the window. No extra material in between.

Hey @Rikudou_Goku , I’m interested in grabbing one of your buds at some point.

Do you ship to the USA?

If not, or if you prefer shipping to Europe, do let me know because my brother lives in France and he’s going to visit me in June.

If you ship to Europe only, I will buy it soon. If not I might wait a bit.

3 Likes

Yeah, us and asia shipping is not a problem.

1 Like

@Rikudou_Goku My interest in buds has peeked. Currently don’t own any but, have the LBBS on order. Exclusively using IEMs currently. Will yours be private sale? Would be honored to be able to purchase one.

2 Likes

pm me if you are interested.

1 Like

Ten days after my Classical music novella-post over on the IEM thread (IEM discussion thread - #2832 by StevehamNY) and I still can’t keep this LBBS set out of my ears!

I know there are a few even better sets out there (thanks again, @Rikudou_Goku), but I just have to marvel at the fact that, if I hadn’t happened into that forum on the right day, I’d still be chasing the IEM dragon for the best Classical sound.

(And already getting ready to spend more $ on the next big DD thing. Which I still might some day, don’t get me wrong. I’m not done with headphones and IEMs, I’m sure. But for now I’m much more happy with these $55 buds.)

(I mean, damn!)

7 Likes