▶ Elac Debut Reference DBR-62

Resurrecting this thread to ask a question:

Has anyone had a chance to compare the Debut Reference to the Uni-Fi? Are they an upgrade? Are they supposed to be? Their price suggests that they are, but I was always under the impression that the Debut line was more of the budget option and the Uni-Fi was supposed to be the step up.

1 Like

They definitely are imo, they are very well done, especially for the price. The dealer that had them had them next to the uni fi and other debut stuff

Would you say they’re a significant upgrade over the B6.2? I’m not planning on getting them immediately, but I know ELAC often has pretty good Black Friday sales, so that might be a good time to upgrade my fronts and shift the 6.2s to secondary system duty

I think it would be significant imo, what amp are you using again? (I forgot)

Just like an older denon receiver at the moment

Gotcha, I think if you got the references you would also want to upgrade your amp as well

2 Likes

Do you have any recommendations? Would I need to upgrade to an AV receiver that has pre-outs so I could use separate power amps? Or would it be enough to just upgrade to a higher end Denon?

You could do either, I think if you wanted bang for buck, a preamp/poweramp setup might be a bit pricey. I think perhaps check out the denon pma600ne, pretty great integrated for the price imo, would do nicely (for 2ch that is)

I think I would like to keep 5.1 capability if possible, so maybe I’ll hold off on upgrading until I can afford to more significantly upgrade the whole system instead of just the fronts

It is still an option to upgrade step by step.
Most cases it is the only way. Front’s, maybe amp, maybe subwoofer, then center and rear’s.
As longs as the hole image is clear, what is the end goal as to say.

E: Specially when some Surround hifi hobbyist want good Stereo fronts for music as well, they usually can be expensive. Maybe even matching center speaker and same series or matching rear speakers.
Not forgetting the surround Amp or even stereo amp separately. Plus good sub-woofer or two.
Step-by-Step is the way to go.
Have done it 3 times with different setups. Latest one took years to get everything together.

1 Like

do not wait, audio does not care. buy the speakers, get an amp later. they will still sound good on your amp. people get caught up in doing the “whole” system at once. nothing wrong with getting one at a time. i know guys who buy 1 tower and then later buy the second tower. you never know what may happen later. just my thoughts on upgrading =)

1 Like

Hi,

Could you look in your 6.2’s bass port? Does it look like the filler is just hanging from the top? Both of mine look like this, but I dont know if they came that way. I’ve had them for a while.

I’ll go look in about an hour. I have an online meeting for work right now but once that’s done I’ll be able to check it out

1 Like

Taking a wild guess: that’s the way they come.
Piece of filler covers partly the terminal / crossover.

There was few photos online with white acoustic material showing in the port.

1 Like

Ok, just checked mine, and they look the same way. So I think that’s just what they’re supposed to look like, because mine are only about a year and a half old and basically went straight from the box onto the stand and haven’t moved since then, so they’re in pretty good condition

1 Like

thinking about picking up a schiit vidar to power these once they get here. Any thoughts on the pairing? any vidar owners around?

1 Like

This. Z does an exceptional job running through all the functionality of a component.

So been listening to these for a few days now. initial impressions: very clean sounding. bass is tight and present, but does not have a lot of punch to it. the bass is very fast though, has no issues keeping up with the tweeter. only have about 10 hours on them, need more time for woofer to break in. also running them off of a cheap hybrid tube amp. going to get a better amp soon. they are very easy to listen to. mids are the star of the show with these. all vocals sound amazing. top end is very detailed without being bright. these scream subwoofer. they play full range decently, but i feel they were designed knowing people using them would also be using a subwoofer. my qef q150’s, with a smaller woofer, have much more low end slam. but waaaay less refined or clean then these.

going to be breaking them in a lot more this weekend. very happy with these so far.

2 Likes

Might be related. Some tubes emphasize all the low-end and add smoothness to the lows, but by doing this they get rid of the… “punch” / “knock” / “slam” / “bass kick slam” (insert other synonym here)

1 Like

Which would be a more competent 2 channel setup?

Focal Aria 906 (bookshelf) + Subwoofer or the Elac debut floorstanders?