Elex are giving me headaches

Hi all. I got my Focal Elex from Drop more than a week ago. I’m trying so hard to like these headphones so as to not return or exchange them. I love these headphones, the sound, detail, etc, but unfortunately there’s a treble peak somewhere, and for the past few days, it’s given me slight headaches. Today after 20min I couldn’t wear them anymore. Too bad as I love them. Now, Metal571 said there’s lots of variance on these, so, does that involve the treble peak issue as well? Would it make a difference if I exchange them, or should I just return them once and for all?

Well first, this post could go on the Elex page: 🔶 Focal Elex

Secondly, have you tried EQ? It’s worth trying for things like treble peaks.

Sorry about that, I’m using Qobuz and I have the SU-8 via Wasapi Exclusive, I tried EQing with PC Equalizer but there’s no change in sound whatsoever. Which program should I use?

it’s a new headphone…like glasses, you have to adapt adjust to how they fit and how they sound (rather than see, LoL). that includes getting accustomed to their feel / clamp. and if you ascribe to burn in…they’ve got to be broken in before they’ll be at their best. :slight_smile:

Are you particularly referring to the Elex or all headphones in general? I hope they burn in before the return window is over lol

I also posted on the Elex forum, sorry about that guys…

this is something for all headphones. they’re different than what you’re used to. I used the analogy of glasses…could use shoes as an example as well. you’ve got to acclimate to their differences. the clamp is a hard one, cause your head / ears hurt…a new office chair is a good example there. the arms wear on a different part of your leg and it’s sore until you adapt to the change. :slight_smile:

that’s a good analogy, as I also got a gaming chair 3 years ago and had to break it in for a week or two. I’ll give that a try!

1 Like

I also read an analogy of coming out of a dark room into the radiant light of the sun, your eyes need time to adjust :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi guys, I think my BRAIN needed the burn-in. I LOOOOOOVE these headphones!!!
Speaking of which, I have interconnects from Hart Audio Cables and they’re AWESOME. I also have a set from Pro Audio LA, and for some reason (call me crazy) the set from Pro Audio La sounds like it brings forward the sound, I was testing back and forth, and on certain tracks, you kind of hear the rhythm guitar, depending on the cable, now, Pro Audio LA use Canare Star Quad, but Hart Audio doesn’t disclose which cable they use. Could it be a shielding thing, impedance, etc??? I’m such a noob lol

I also found the treble to be just a bit too peaky for me, took the Ortho 1990 EQ and modded to my liking. Now I have a hard time taking them off