šŸ”· Emotiva BasX A-100

So the first one is for a subwoofer with a single jack input, so it takes the left and right and combines them for a LFE input

Iā€™m glad I asked so I didnā€™t end up buying the wrong thing like an idiot.

For speakers, this, or TP60?

If you get this one you have added benefit of a supposedly great headphone amp.

1 Like

What is the best sounding headphone on this amp? I am on the search for the best sounding 600 ohm headphone. There are more but I am interested in the dt 880 vs dt 990 premium 600 ohm versions on this amp because of zeos review of the 880s was so good for this amp.

Disclaimer: This is an unsupported modification that may break your headphones or the amp! You do this at your own risk.

I donā€™t think I ever posted a proper picture of what I did:

Parts:
2x 2.54mm 2-pole pin Like this one
2x Vishay G200-series 220 Ohm (220 Ohm, glas covered wire-wound resistor, the important part is >3 W rating)
Cost: ~1ā‚¬ or $1

I put a piece of heatshrink over the free leg. They are bent like this to prevent them making contact with anything in the amp.

This is them installed. As you can see, the 90Ā° bend avoids hitting the transformer, the ā€œoff angleā€ one avoids the front circuit board.

You may rightfully ask yourself: WHY would you do this?

Simple answer: More power without all the noise, this is a speaker amp first, headphone amp second.
This mod (wich you can just unplug any time or replace with the supplied jumpers) lowers the output resistance to 110 Ohm (instead of 220 Ohm or ~0).

5 Likes

How much of a risk is there in doing this?

Very little.
You could still short out something on the front circuit board (the one between transformer and front panel).

1 Like

Ergo, just be mindful of what stuff is touching what, and you will be fine.

1 Like

how long was your average wait time from Emotiva? i ordered on the 16th and it still says unfulfilledā€¦

16th june?
That would be fast in normal times, not to mention the thing.

Give it another few days.

yes June 16th, still says unfulfilled (first time buying from them) just not used to waiting this long, thank you

This help with any of the noise floor? Iā€™ve noticed with throwing on my K550 (with the stock jumpers) that there is a noticeable noise floor, and it takes a big jump with the volume turned up (was sure not to have anything playing, cause I donā€™t feel like trashing anythingā€¦ Looks up at Tanchim Cora At least not yetā€¦ For scientific reasons, of courseā€¦)

To an extent, yes. It is between factory and jumpers leaning towards the jumper end.

When the K550s are the only headphone you run of the BasX, leave it stock.

Alternative:
Put factory jumpers in place. Then buy yourself a 1/4 stereo jack and a pair of 110 Ohm Resistors and a 1/4 jack. Then you have an attenuator to plug in line with your headphones when you feel like it.

I meanā€¦ The K550, several IEMs and Porta Pro X are the only two headphones I have on hand. My 4XX and DT990 Pro are both back locked in my locker back in my dorm roomā€¦ ~2500 miles away.
I also would not be looking to eliminate the noise floor entirely, as I understand that just isnā€™t happening with something like this.

If you are okay with ā€œtemporary solutionsā€

+

+

220 Ohm Or 100 Ohm

No soldering, just screwing in stuff :wink:
Will look kinda janky, but for trying things out, will be alright.

1 Like

With your headphones, itā€™s not likely you will need to ever add the jumpers, even with the Hifiman and Beyerdynamic headphones. I run my DT770 Pro 250 Ohm headphones and i get plenty of volume and no noise. Alternatively, if you are running very sensitive, low ohm headphones on the amp, you may get some noise.

Well, it also isnā€™t as though those are my forever headphones. I still plan to buy and try other headphones.

Understood. Iā€™m just saying this amp can handle A LOT of headphones without ever needing to add the jumper. Itā€™s a pretty capable amp. I wouldnā€™t consider modding unless absolutely necessary.

Havenā€™t gotten to listen yet but for the price, and that huge toroidal, I just think the aesthetic and sheer power would be hard to beat, refinement aside

1 Like