šŸ”· Emotiva BasX A-100

So if I was to add 2 more resistors in paralel, I would get 50% more power and 50% more noise?
Have to see if I still have 220Ohm 3W resistors, and then find some left overs of a socket stripā€¦

I wouldnā€™t do that because it can diminish sound quality. I would just suggest leaving it be imo. Personally to take advantage, I would run the headphone out with the jumpers for the full power of the amp

How so?
I have the EXACT make and model of the resistors used there.
Also: 60 cents worth of components and 20 seconds to solder them. BRB

1 Like

Adding more resistors will decrease the sound quality (from my experience). I would just use it where itā€™s the full amp out of the headphone out. It wonā€™t hurt anything to add more resistors, but you will notice a quality drop (well I guess it depends on if you can notice it lol)

Two resistors in paralel reduces resistance.

Apart from that, it totaly worked. Made it louder without the noise going through the roof

2 Likes

I didnā€™t see the parallel part lol

Hehehe :smiley:
Yeah, I now have jumpers with 220Ohm 3W resistors (kind of a matched pair, from my limited testing I did in the time my soldering station heated up). So both paths are now 110Ohm 6W

3 Likes

Can you show me a picture of what you did please?

Then I would have to remove the screws againā€¦

Here, have a bad attempt at photo manipulation:

Stick them where the jumpers would go.

1 Like

Looking to get a speaker amp for my desk setup, gonna be powering KEF Q100 or possibly my pair of Fluance Sx6 if I get the itch. Thinking about one of these to do the job but wanted some input to see if it would be good for my use case.

Also Iā€™m looking at a PS Audio Sprout (not the 100, but the original) secondhand for around $370. obviously thatā€™s a integrated vs. a stereo 2channel but would the sprout sound significantly better than the emotiva? is that a good price? Are there any other amps in the $400 or lower price range that I should consider?

anybody who takes the time to help, thanks in advance :smiley:

Hmmm, actually what if you could consider the denon PMA-600NE? I think it would be better than the original sprout, and better than the emotiva imo

ah that looks really nice actually, I will look into it. thanks for the feedback!

The sprout is good, but I think the sprout100 was a pretty decent upgrade, so at what you can get for the regular sprout I think the denon is surprisingly refined and featured for the price. Although itā€™s prob overkill for the q100 actually

The basx might be the better value here imo unless you plan to upgrade your speakers in the future

2 Likes

yeah i will take that into account, i found a basx a100 used for $180, so I might just go that route and save some money. I donā€™t plan on upgrading my desk speakers for some timeā€¦ my next speaker upgrade will be either SVS ultra bookshelf or klipsch RP-600M for my home theater setup and I still plan to overhaul my audio chain for that setup with a new AV receiver with pre-outs and a separate power amp.

Like a preamp/processor to power amps? Nicee

Yeah thatā€™s a good price, and I would just go for the emotiva for your use case imo

So I have a used one of these coming in. Could someone quickly explain how the trigger input works? The manual says that I can connect a stereo preamp without a trigger output. So does that also mean that the audio signal can come in through the trigger input without anything connected to the RCA input?

Specifically, Iā€™m wondering if this makes sense (apologies for the noob question):
Modi 3 RCA out -> THX 789 SE in -> THX 789 SE pass -> JDS Atom RCA in -> JDS Atom RCA out (I have these connected to computer speakers currently) -> Emotiva A-100 trigger input

Would the Atom then also control the volume of the speakers connected to the A-100?

Thanks!

The trigger input is more for linking other components to all turn on or wake at the same time, not an audio input

2 Likes

Ah got it thanks. I misread the manual. If I connect atom rca out to a-100 rca in, am I double amping? Think I donā€™t really understand the preamp concept fully.

From the manual:
ā€œThe BASX A-100 is connected to a pair of speakers and receives its input from a stereo preamp.
The preamp does NOT have a trigger output. The AC Power Switch on the A-100 is set to On, and
the Trigger Switch is set to Auto.
The A-100 remains in Standby mode as long as the preamp is off. When the preamp is switched
on and starts playing, the A-100 senses the audio signal and switches On. When the signal is no
longer present, the A-100 will remain On for a few minutes, then return to Standby mode.ā€

So ignoring the trigger, the atom pre out will not double amp, it will only control volume. It will be unmuted when you unplug headphones from the atom and you can control volume from the atom, so you will have 2 volume controls though, with one on the atom and one on the a100, so adjust accordingly. A passive pre out is essentially a pass through with volume control

1 Like

Oh awesome, OK Iā€™ll try that out. Thanks for the explanation!