Entry Level Gaming Headphone Help

I am looking for a good entry level gaming headphone that can be used without a DAC/AMP. The Phillips X2HR and the Phillips SHP 9500S have both caught my attention over the many reviews I have read. Comfort, spatial awareness for footsteps, and some light bass are my prioritizes. I’ve heard amazing things about the SHP 9500S basically being the poor mans HD600 but is the X2HR better for what I will be using them for? Eventually I plan to upgrade to the HD58X with a DAC/AMP but for now I am looking for the best price/performance for FPS games. Other recommendations are welcome as well!

Hmmm, I would actually say that you could run the 58x without a dac/amp, so you could get that now if your budget allows imo and get a dac/amp later on. From what describe sound wise, I also think the ad700x would be a good choice, but comfort can be hit or miss, but it has very good imaging and a deep soundstage that makes placement easy, and a brighter bass light signature that emphasizes spatial queues

hd 58x, pc 37x, hd 559 are my personal go to entry levels without dac amps

HD58X has an impedance of 150 Ohm. Would they sound like garbage running straight from my PC?

The 58x is actually higher sensitivity so it can actually run just fine on a phone or good pc audio. If you have a modern midrange motherboard running from the back jacks should actually work just fine for the time being

Perfect! Thank you both for your help! I wasn’t expecting that quick of a response, much appreciated!

No problem, if you have any other questions just ask :+1:

lol you caught us both at a good. time. just ask and one of the regs epecially Mon will be quick to help

If only I could type faster on this crappy laptop keyboard lol

What would you both recommend for a DAC/AMP for the HD 58x? I’ll end up getting one eventually for when I venture deep down the rabbit hole with my wallet. I have a new found respect for audio.

Are you looking for something desktop or portable? And what’s your budget?

taht all depends for me if you really want to go into the rabbit hole and want something that can run most things

or if you want something for just the 58x for now

Desktop and starting budget would be $100-150. Maybe $200 if I see a good deal.

Personally I think the fiio k5 pro would work very well and also is pretty killer for the price. If you wanted something more flexible that you could upgrade down the road, you could pick up a topping d10 dac and a jds labs atom amp for a really good dac amp separates setup

fiio k3 for just the 58x, schiit heresy, monoprice liquid spark, magni 3+, or jds labs atom, with atopping d10, topping d30, or smsl m100 for a stack for $200 but if you want something in the middle the k5 pro is th obvious pick the value on that thing is really good .

Perfect! You both have answered all of my questions in a matter of minutes when I have been researching audio for the past month lol. It’ll probably be awhile before I venture deeper down towards the end game headphones but this will be a great start for me. I appreciate the help again from you both!

1 Like

When you get the itch for a higher end headphone just drop by again lol

1 Like