FD5 - Have you heard better for FPS gaming / positional accuracy?

The reason I think they are overrated. Is because the ksc75 and the kph30i exists.

1 Like

Send it over to @CarpentersFan to do an FD5 - O2 FPS showdown with first :wink: If only we can find someone with an O2 to send theirs, as well…

What about KSC75X…? Just a 75 + mic? :face_vomiting:

Yeah, just a mic version. Just get the ordinary ksc75 (and I also rec the kph30i).

Convince me lol. Not quite as good as 75…? Or as good, but less preferred sound sig?

I mean, for music, I prefer the KPH30i. its more up my alley in terms of its tonality. (also a more fun set for non-competitive gaming.)

But the KSC75 definitely wins for competitive for me, it has the ideal tonality for that, coupled with unbeatable comfort (only speakers beats them at comfort lol).

(for music, the preference between them is more due to your library. But both are great picks and I consider them both must-haves.)

1 Like

It’s been ages since I owned a pair of KSC75, but I’ve had tons of them as I went through school. They have great tonality, but I wouldn’t say that they have great comfort. Getting that clip to fit the best and be comfortable over time isn’t always straight forward. Their durability is also notoriously shite in my book, unless something has changed over the years.

For long term comfort and competitive, I personally would vote for either HD600 or HD700. I have like 20 years of combined listening on those two.

FD5 are so far the king in the IEM world for me when it comes to gaming. I also liked using the Starfields, but they just become a bit too stuffy in my ears for long gaming sessions. FD5 just reminds me of the airiness of Sennheiser and I suppose the semi-open / vented back of them does help quite a lot. The worst is when your ears become a sauna lol, more so now in summer.

4 Likes

I was so happy to get rid of these, gaming-wise lol. But thankfully 660 is a whole different story! Actually my fav FPS headphone up to its price. I just re-ordered one, and K712 again to try out with my new source hardware.

Also ordered a Starfield, finally! Though I’m not a fan of Kanas Pro’s dull sound :\ The fit of FD5 is not organic/natural for my ears, but certainly bearable. My ears suffer wearing Tape Pro, but rare sound like that is worth it ;p

Great point! I totally forgot about that feature :slight_smile:

1 Like

One of the reasons I got rid of it, those sharp edges just dug in and made long time comfort hell. The fuckhuge nozzle didn’t help either when I had to insert them so deep.

+1 for Starfield, super comfy.

Haha, I think you need to explain here. Makes me wonder why, because they were god-tier in my book until I bought myself the HD700.

It was mostly a long-time comfort purchase though, as I was using the Denon AH-D5000 before, but those became sweat buckets during summer. That’s another rec in my book though as far as closed back headphones go, D2/5/7000 series were fantastic. Mine were Lawton Lv1 modded.

1 Like

They were just plain poor with telling where sounds were coming from lol. And detail. Or at least that’s what I was hearing. They were my music headphone upgrade at the time, so I had my AD700X/900X around for gaming tool comparisons. I was very happy with L300 as my next music phone upgrade from there(for a little while, anyway). HD700 was wild… I still haven’t heard HD800 yet :frowning: I was close to buying a K812 for $699 today, though. Supposedly it has better imaging and comfort than 800, and more realistic soundstage. I can’t do closed-backs anymore lol; IEMs are my closed-backs now haha. (Although Mobius does sound excellent…! But sooo hot x_x)

1 Like

This is the complete opposite of my experience with it haha. I was playing CS, UT2k4 and Halo at a pretty high competitive level back in the day and I swore by the HD600.

1 Like

Did you EQ yours? I always had the treble the bass up a little, to get the fog and softness out.

I never EQ any of my gear to be honest. At most I’ve used the filters on my SU-8 and tried features like xBass on the iDSD etc when I reviewed that. 99,9% of all of my impressions are on the gear itself. I pretty much just test features to see what they do but never run with any specific presets or EQ curves applied.

1 Like