FD5 - Have you heard better for FPS gaming / positional accuracy?

FD5 is still the best I’ve heard so far, if my life depended on hearing the enemy. Any IEM(s) at this level or better, that I might be missing…?

Tanchjim Oxygen, better tonality for competitive and its imaging capabilities are well known.

(although I wouldnt use iems for gaming, Koss KSC75 ftw.)

6 Likes

The gent who used to run HeadConcert (the discord server HiFi Dreams is his too I believe) has a ranking spreadsheet where he considers imaging for gaming as one if the things you can check on: HeadConcert.com Reviews - Google Sheets

Edit: it’s mentioned in the “stage shape” column for ones that excel for gaming

That one is almost unreadable to me…god those colors are horrible for the eyes.

FD5 not even on his list…? Man, I remember telling him how insane these are for gaming, and he said he had them ordered :frowning:

Only thing I would use Oxygen for is if my life depended on natural vocals :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oxygen > FD5.

…and NOT just for vocals.

2 Likes

I feel that FD5 has about 2-4x more resolution(a lot), and much more extension in both directions. All I got out of Oxygen was “nice vocals”(don’t care about in a game), whereas FD5 speaks to me like nothing else for spatial accuracy.

Perhaps there is a BA-equivalent of FD5…? :thinking: Pure speed & detail.

Your FD5 must be a lot better than mine. Would love to see a pic of your FD5 & Oxygen since you’re making some large claims. I’m not a fan of the FD5 treble issues and bloated lower mids. The dreaded 5K peak on the FD5 is a real thing.

Check out the DUNU SA6. It’s definitely tuned better than the FD5, that’s for sure. Or just go with an FH3. I prefer it to the FD5.

1 Like

Do you play FPS games like PUBG? I agree very much that FD5 treble is peaky/scissory/difficult, so we are hearing the same thing there, at least. I wouldn’t use Oxygen for music or gaming, because it lacks detail/extension so much. Thus, I returned it. I also think FH3 is better balanced than FD5… but can’t touch FD5 for gaming, extension, detail.

SA6 seems good :+1:

That’s completely wrong/incorrect. Completely. Do you actually understand what extension means?

The Oxygen is better “extended” than the FD5 which also has peak issues at 5 & 8K! The FD5’s “extension” heavily dies off after 8K.

Obviously you don’t have the Oxygen. If you don’t own both to make direct comparisons from, please don’t trash an IEM for no reason. Some people come here seeking out proper information to make purchasing decisions from. The Oxygen is an incredible IEM at its price point and it is very well extended.

Michael Bruce agrees… I highly suggest you take a look at his ratings of the Oxygen.

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=2AC6CB77B835CCA2!5687&ithint=file%2Cxlsx&authkey=!APy9ncQJjCa32lU

1 Like

“No reason”? How does that statement make any sense…? I owned both, at the same time. So I can’t comment after I have sold one/both, for determining it wasn’t good enough? I’m sorry, Boss.

Do you actually think Oxygen has more detail than FD5? If not, then my statement that Oxygen lacks detail is still true, or at least that’s what I heard from it, contrary to whatever the graph says. I hear MUCH more detail and extension from FD5, but perhaps the lack of detail in Oxygen masks that is does have I-guess slightly more extension.

1 Like

Since I actually own both IEMs and can critically listen to both, I just A/B’ed them I’d say both IEMs are similarly detailed. I’d much rather listen to the Oxygen.

But if you think the FD5 is some kind of detail king? You can clearly hear it’s lack of detail, imaging and staging when compared to something like…

It’s not even close, boss. lol

1 Like

But are you just listening to music, or are you testing them in PUBG?

Maybe the cable makes a big difference with Oxygen. I was probably using a TRN something or other. Definitely not buying them again, though.

Yeah, I’ve heard nice things about MEST ^ ^ So I really HOPE they out-do FD5 for 4x+ price, ha.

It’s actually not that difficult to out-do the FD5. I could throw down IEM after IEM that I prefer in my collection. I’d hand you my FD5 right now if you wanted it. I actually tried to sell it and no one would buy it. The treble peaks are just bad. The $130 FH3 > FD5.

1 Like

Funny, I sold mine pretty easily for $250 or so. Hard to find below MSRP. Hot cakes!

I definitely prefer less treble, but again, haven’t heard better for gaming/accuracy yet. That’s my only use for it, pretty much. Same for Tape Pro. Dunno why we are hearing opposite things for Oxygen. I would give a newer Tanchjim a try(esp over a Blessing 2 revision), assuming I don’t get a MEST first.

No words to say, for I agree with this statement.

4 Likes

Oh, so this thread is why the popcorns are sold out. :joy:

FD5 is well known for gaming since it got wide soundstage for 300 bucks. But thats just that.

Saying FD5 is better than X, its personal. Everyone likes different flavours. But of course theres better lol. There’s always something better at something.

I’ve owned FD5 and after 200h of burn in, the treble got… Listenable. Then I returned it right away. Hell no. This comes from a person that owns TSMR Land so you can call me a treblehead. Also stage and imaging mop the floor with fd5.

For music? I have to agree with @Resolution on this one… People can throw lists of IEMs that are better. Below and above that price. Only thing I loved on the FD5 was the beryllium bass, but even then, its not the best up to its price.

Treble is horrible, extension in non existent. Mids are… Okayish.

Personal example : I returned FD5 and got mangird tea. Very close retail price at the time. I can’t see anything that FD5 does better than the teas, apart from soundstage and having beryllium. Also kept my FH3 over it.

Short-story: Hapiness and music are what matter. If FD5 is awsome/your endgame, sure, use them forever or even buy another pair. Thats the two things that matter. Just dont make bold statements, especially against guys in the music business with iem boxes worthing tens of thousands like @Resolution :joy:

Peace bros, good bangers!

4 Likes

Yeah, again, sorry for having my own opinion on an IEM, and not being rich? I will bow down to him and apologize immediately, and then my opinion of what I heard will finally change. Yep. :+1:

So you think TSRM Land does better than FD5 in games? Hm. Never looked at it much. What else do you like for FPS? (Or, are you saying Land sounds better from a music context?)

I think you misunderstood my point…

Let me try again.

Whatever makes you happy, can be your endgame. If theres better for you? Will always be. If not now, in a couple months or years.

You dont need to be rich. Theres people who spent thousands of dolars in gear and in the end, sold it all and grab some TWS buds and a phone. That was enough. What is the best for you, its the best for you. What you shouldnt do, is turn your oppinions on affirmations against someone that can A/B something right this moment.

One thing you didnt mention, and thats why I brought Land up, is the detail level. Even if they had the same level of soundstage, you’d hear more because of treble extension. Its not about just soundstage and imaging.

If you want my opinion, land mops the floor with FD5, but also costs the double and its a tribid, which means EST drivers. That changes the comparison to Apples and oranges. See the graph below:

Even if Land as bigger spikes, its an EST vs a single DD. This means I can tolerate this set for 10+ hours because its not sharp or harsh, while I could only use fd5 for 1hour max. Also, the treble extension helps with details, which is important for what you want. One other thing i’d look up is the signature. Taking his example, I’d like less bass than fd5 for gaming, such as oxygen, since less bass would not cluter other frequencies (like mids).

About the music, in my opinion, if Land were to be on S tier for me, FD5 was around B.

Again, have your own opinions, love your gear, but ultimately enjoy your music and gaming.

3 Likes