šŸ”¶ FiiO FD5 Flagship Single dynamic driver

I had a similar experience as well. Been exclusively using the FD5 on my Sony A55, but after getting the Fiio Q3 just last month, the changes and improvement in sound really are quite a lot. The treble are smoothed out and the mids, especially on the vocals are more lush (But still has that vocal sibilance). The bass still sounded good so I couldnā€™t tell if that part is an improvement or not.

Staging and imaging really got a huge bump and it took me a while to get used to the very wide but detailed soundstage.

1 Like

How are you using your fd5 - with main wide bore or with narrower ?
With narrow it shouldnā€™t be sibilance or at least i canā€™t hear it. Of course not all like this narrow bore because of smaller soundstage.
I remember when i got them first and with original ā€œbalanced tipsā€ with wider bore there was something i could call sibilance but after using cp145 tips even with wide bore there is much smoother in this region.
And fd 5 really souds event better with proper dac and amp. I like them a lot, A LOT :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Smoothing out the vocal sibilance or edgy -ness was exactly what i felt the fd5 needed. Lush fd5 vocals hits the spot for me.

1 Like

I am not exactly a fan of the narrow bore so itā€™s been the main one. Yup! I had been using the CP145 for a few months and then switched to the CP100+. Staging felt more open and detailed with this tip but of course, the sibilance, unfortunately are still there. I could be sensitive to the treble peaks and the highs.

Listening through on a dac/amp really does help smoothen out the treble a lil bit and made the vocals much more better. I am thinking on finding other tips to help smoothen out the treble and sibilance just a tad more. Iā€™m close to finding the right preference for my FD5 listening needs.

Yeah, I came to a similar conclusion as well. The FD5 has a lot of potential to be an IEM to stay for a long time but it needed some personal tip rolling and listening to it on a dac/amp or a decent DAP. I spent an entire day one time just listening to Jazz and it was heavenly!

1 Like

Thanks for mentioning this, perhaps need to buy this tip as i am not very sensitive to treble but still donā€™t know if cp100+ worth their price over cp145. Only way to get it in Europe is to buy from USA amzon and it becomes with sending about 35 eur for one set that is a little bit more than i would like to spent. But as i like spinfits a lot for fd5 - perhaps worth to try. Will see :slight_smile: Yeah fd5 with proper tips is fireā€¦ ) Made for metal and ofcourse other genres :wink:

Are the wood diaphragm and body shell have good durability? Any case where wood got broken or rotten? :joy: Such a silly question. Wonā€™t ask this if Iā€™m super rich :money_mouth_face:

What tips u use on FH3 and FD5? I find Radius deep mount tips sound best transparent, balanced, fit, accuracy, isolation, sub bass and treble extension. But I only tested against all stock tips, spinfit cp100 and sony hybrid. Maybe Iā€™ll try Azla Sednaearfit Light or Final E. But I doubt it will be better based on measurements. My source is UAPP phone + FiiO Q3 + 4.4 cable

Measurements with different tips is something I would take with a massive grain of salt. They usually dont show a lot of change.

Our ear canals on the other hand is the reason why we hear such a big difference with different tips. The couplers out there wont be able to replicate that.

1 Like

After reading here, now I prefer Mangird Tea > Blessing 2 Dusk > FD5. For my future upgrade to FH3. I need that mid centric clarity. Hopefully the bass is fast as Berylliumā€™s for some heavy metal songs. I listen to all music genres but 50% are vocal focused. 30% metal

Wow nice small Tea like FH3. Need to test first, the nozzle seems too long compared to FH3. I have small ears and shallow canal. I use XS size tips

IMO the FH3 is in a league of its own for metal in the bass category. After hearing how the MEST MKII handles bass, I know that the FH3 sounds artificial, but I still love how fast, textured and detailed the bass presentation in the FH3 is for metal. Itā€™s upper frequencies are a bit wonky, but for 130 bucks, the FH3 presents bass like no other Iā€™ve heard.

It sure is. I suggest going down a tip size than what youā€™re normally used to.

2 Likes

Hi Resolution, Iā€™ve been following the FD5 for a few days and lurking here. I see you and Goku really liked it but in another thread on this site (FD5 - Have you heard better for FPS gaming / positional accuracy?) you seem to not like it at all anymore. Can I ask why? I was really eyeing the FD5 because itā€™s the only single DD IEM I can get here in the $200-300 range.

1 Like

If you like extra bass, you could try FiiO FHE. Or of course 7HZ Timeless, for a much better balanced sound(for music) than FD5. But, if you want the ultimate ā€œhear the enemyā€ IEM for FPS games at that price, you want FD5. : )

FD5 will have better bass quality than Timeless, but Timeless bass is still very nicely emphasized as a planar. Timeless has better tone, but not quite as big of stage size, air, detail, bass extension(both are excellent). Timeless has better fit, and an awesome case. Both are bright, but Timeless is moderately less fatiguing than FD5. I vote Timeless for music/gaming/general, and FD5 for serious FPS gaming. The semi-open vents in FD5 really do make a huge difference, in the areas where FD5 excels(positional accuracy, air, spaciousness, separation, etc).

3 Likes

It depends on what you want on the FD5. The soundstage is something else as well as the imaging. Itā€™s also pretty darn good for Rock. Itā€™s also bright if you can handle some of the treble spikes.

It all comes comes down to the IEMs that comes after the FD5 this year. The FH3 is still being the current favourite Fiio IEMs for most users is due to the price and what it offers. Itā€™s light, itā€™s comfortable to wear and the sound, while it can be bassy for some, I personally find it to be a great all-rounder.

I do criticized the FD5 from time to time due to itā€™s treble spikes and vocal sibilances in some tracks (Female Kpop) that I love, but when it clicks (like the entire Dreamcatcher discography for example), it truly clicks super well with the FD5.

The FD5 can be quite unforgiving and itā€™s a bit hard to recommend it to someone unless they are able to demo it first.

3 Likes

Thanks for the responses. I got it at a nice discount directly from FiiO and honestly itā€™s a nice upgrade from my IT00. I got the FH3 earlier in 2021 and I guess either the tuning was off or Iā€™m just very sensitive to BA timbre, but I didnā€™t like it the second I put it on, it just sounded disjointed. The FD5 is, thankfully, quite good. I didnā€™t feel harsh treble or sibilance normally (itā€™s there in a distracting way only if I crank up the volume which I donā€™t). Imaging is amazing and reminds me of the FH3 in a good way, soundstage is so, so good and Iā€™m hearing people precisely in FPS games, little things alerting me like a guy switching from his primary weapon to a secondary, the sound of someone reloading nearby, itā€™s insane.
The bass is ridiculous, I was never a basshead but Iā€™m loving how the bass asserts itself without overwhelming the music. I can see why people donā€™t like it for music because I feel vocals arenā€™t very strong here but itā€™s still better than what Iā€™ve heard before so Iā€™m happy enough and the rest of it is so good Iā€™m not gonna complain. Music aside these are absolutely perfect for gaming and movies. I was watching Shadow by Zhang Yimou and the way the FD5 presented the music sections and the battles was just stellar. It felt very much like I was in a movie theater, Iā€™m so glad this blind buy didnā€™t disappoint. Iā€™m using them with my trusty CP145 tips and have no issues with fit or comfort.
That said, Iā€™m powering them through my E10K with the volume on 3 on the dial. Will I benefit from getting something beefier? Iā€™ve read anecdotal stuff of people saying they get wider soundstage and better highs depending on their gear and I donā€™t know how much of that is just subjective preference.

2 Likes

Happy listening, Cp145 for me also best tips for fd5. Fd5 really for their price are amazing.
They are v shaped so vocals are not their best part but bass is amazing and with corect tips like cp145 good controlled. Treble really extended and for some can become too much but for me also never had problems. So good buy and not always reviews can answer all, need to hear and validate for yourself.

Yes, I will keep buying and trying different IEMs as time goes on. FD5 for now, and later this year something in the $700-$1000 range. Itā€™s too bad I canā€™t try and buy anything in the upper tier because Amazon doesnā€™t carry them here but itā€™s all part of the experience. For now Iā€™m trying to decide what to pair my FD5 with. What amp/dac do you use? I would have just blind bought a Mojo to use with everything down the line but those arenā€™t available here anymore.

1 Like

Using now mainly with few daps such ibasso dx160, fiio m11plus, and amps/dacs such topping a50s/d50s. Tried with otjer also and few ifi daps. For me they are good with neutral and balanced amps. I like when bass is controlled so good amp with not boosted bass is ok for them as they have good bass from dd. Actually they will sound good from many sources but still likes a little more power and clear balanced tuning.

Very easy fix (if youā€™re not comfortable with adding your own dampers), the RHA filter set; when itā€™s back in stock
Link to RHA filters

RHA vs FD5 stock tube

DIY, foam/damper inserts
Foam inserts a to z

Apologies for bumping this thread cause the FD5 is the only IEM that Iā€™ve been using mainly lately ever since going back to office is a must now.

Iā€™ve come to appreciate my FD5 much more now. Either Iā€™m being bias or just using it daily, but bringing this IEM outdoors really does help lighten a bit of the spikes. Itā€™s still there but it feels more bearable now. Iā€™m probably getting used to the open-back ā€œfeelā€ of it and didnā€™t mind playing it in decent volume during my daily commute.

My Variations have been mostly chilling at home now unless during ā€œwork from homeā€ days, which is only on Thursdays and Fridays.

Iā€™ve also been going out more so the FD5 + Shanling M3X have been a great combo for me, plus itā€™s small enough to fit in my jeans comfortably.

7 Likes