šŸ”· FiiO BTR5

Finally got my Zonie cable from Tripowin via linsoul (only 3.5 months after ordering), and got some hart audio cables for my other headsets (Sennheiser HD598cs, HiFiMan Sundara, and Tin T2ā€™s for the IEMs), and I finally feel comfortable weighing in on the balanced output.

First, I want to express how thankful I am for the balanced output on the BTR5, I donā€™t have anything else balanced, and thereā€™s no official balanced cable for the HD598cs, so I had to make my own. because of this, I purchased a miniXLR cable, and a spare HD598 standard cable (which has four lines all the way down btw), and butchered it (realisitcally my soldering sucks by comparison to what Iā€™ve seen out there), to create a compatible cable to the Hart interfaces for my Sennheisers. I discovered I crosswired the L/R channel positives (found reversed audio when using it on an SE connection) and was able to determine that the negative leads were correct when I got very confusing mono output while using balanced and a stereo test track. one side was playing in phase and the other was out of phase - a very disturbing sound profile. After that was fixed, I can now test all my main headsets on the BTR5 without issue on balanced and SE.

To start, the SE is good, as many have stated. I wouldnā€™t say thereā€™s a HUGE difference between SE and balanced for anything you would use this for; the cables are incredibly short and it shouldnā€™t make a huge difference anyways. However, the difference is very much present. the power difference is most notable, and the signal is really clean. When something comes through over one channel, it is very cleanly on that channel. The power is excellent and drives everything I have - to be fair, nothing I have is very hard to drive, but I donā€™t want to drain my bank account buying 50 headphones to find the ones I like the most. I have had the HD598ā€™s for years, and recently picked up the T2ā€™s and Sundaraā€™s to improve my overall listening experience. I didnā€™t get the MMCX Hart cables because I needed portability. The 3.5 SE connection from my stock T2 cable is much more flexible than the Hart cables, and thatā€™s my primary use-case; so I picked up the Tripowin Zonie 2.5mm TRRS balanced cable as a direct replacement specifically for use mobile with the BTR5 and T2ā€™s. I donā€™t use my T2ā€™s at home much or at all. I am today because the isolation is better than anything else I have and thereā€™s a lot of construction noise happening outside. My issues aside, the T2ā€™s are quite good on balanced here. I have Michael Jacksonā€™s album ā€œThe Essentialā€ queued up, and it sounds really really good. Some of the songs are quite complex acoustically, with grit and pop in some of the notes that really comes through on the T2ā€™s. No notable distortion, fuzz, or issues.

I have this album in 24/96 FLAC, playing over BT using LDAC.

Honestly, balanced is a great feature, I love it and 10/10 would buy again. though itā€™s arguable that itā€™s not completely required, Itā€™s definitely a nice to have, and results in a very nice and very clean sound from the BTR5.

dunno how helpful this is considering how many others have reviewed and left feedback on the BTR5, but I thought Iā€™d put it out there for anyone who may be interested in one-more BTR5 balanced review. Iā€™m by no means a professional reviewer, so I canā€™t really get into the sound profile or characteristics in depth, but so far a very positive experience all around.

3 Likes

Does anyone else has this issue? Sound stops for 0,5-1 second from time to time when using the BTR5. Sometimes it happens like once an hour but sometimes after every couple minutes, making it not listenable.

First I thought this was a Tidal issue but this also happens with regular flac files. Bluetooth speaker with Tidal and same phone was completely fine. Tried upgrading firmware but no luck.

Try changing your Wireless codec on the BTR5. LDAC consumes a LOT of wireless bandwidth, and if thereā€™s some interference in your area, you may be able to play pretty much any other format like AAC, AptX or even AptX HD (which uses a bit more than half of what LDAC does).

my theory is that the BT speaker youā€™re using is on something thatā€™s not as demanding as LDAC, so when thereā€™s interference, it just resends and it has the time and bandwidth to do that, meanwhile LDAC just ends up getting behind, so it has to rebuffer the playback, potentially causing skips.

To answer your direct question: I donā€™t have any issues with the playback on my BTR5. no skips or issues at all, unless I walk too far away from my phone.

2 Likes

yeah its weird, sometimes it works fine, other days it struggles. weirdly it struggles more when the battary is less than half full.
battery life is kinda poor tbh

1 Like

The problem could be with the smartphone or the app. Everything worked great on my old Nokia. When this broke I bought a Crosscall. via the Fiio app, there are always a Lot of dropouts in Flac files, little bit in MP3. Then I switched to the Quobuz app and USB audio player Pro - these no longer caused problems. Applies to USB and Bluetooth

If anyone here is wondering how the BTR5 stacks up to the new Qudelix-5k. Hereā€™s my writeup:

iā€™ve heard the app is pretty horribleā€¦ so i dunno whether to go with it, do the ES100 for its infamous perfect app, or whatever other LDAC supporting bluetooth DAC

Qudelix app is horrible? Not at all sir. Itā€™s very clean and intuitive. The BTR5 app is way worse.

i was referring TO the BRT5

Ohhhh, yeah. BTR5 app does kinda suck. Oh well. Get the Qudelix if you want a good app and the latest and greatest.

Question: the EQ thing is only on the Fiio music app or the Control one too? Cause I use only the control app and it seems to work fine.

I donā€™t use much the EQ but as far as I can hear, it works for me with LDAC. I just think the difference is not significant over a full proper EQ as I tried on my PC, for example.

The Fiio app is a little buggy, but Iā€™ve seen worse so for me itā€™s ok. Canā€™t say about Fiio music thought.

Itā€™s a hardware/firmware limitation. The app shouldnā€™t matter. The EQ on LDAC (and USB mode) shouldnā€™t work at all. FiiO said so themselves and thereā€™s been no firmware update as of yet that corrects this.

Tried a small A/B with some pure tone test and in fact, the EQ donā€™t exactly work. It looks like the volume goes down by a little when you change the value on it (something like 2 decrements), that had thrown me off earlier, sorry about that.

good day to allā€¦ i have a noob questionā€¦ i hope someone can enlighten me on thisā€¦ i have a btr5 and a fh3 with 2.5mm balanced cable comboā€¦ i want to use the fh3 on a 3.5mm single ended input but i dont want to swap cablesā€¦ the fh3 mmxc connection is really tightā€¦ will a 3.5mm single ended male to 2.5mm balanced female adapter work and not do harm on the iem or btr5?

* The choice of FiiO app shouldnā€™t matter. :slight_smile:

What works is if you EQ system-wide with something like ViPER4Android. Only LDAC modes Viper canā€™t handle as far as I can tell are 96 kHz ones, everything else works.

Yes, you can convert balanced to single ended but not vice versa.

1 Like

thank you for the clarificationā€¦ i appreciate it

Well, mine is on the wayā€¦

1 Like

Can confirm LDAC from an Nvidia Shield Pro 4K

4 Likes

the app is the only thing truly stopping me from considering it hereā€¦ i dont want something to replace my already used stock application for music OR have to go through a lot of complicated stuff and difficulties just to get the right amplification and preamp and all that stuff

1 Like