🔷 FiiO BTR5

I have a question what is sbc? because trying to use the L dac but it doesn’t work is it my phone?

The fiio apps allows you to lock it to LDAC, if needed.

Edit: Also related (copy-paste from the Sony’s community forum…)

Currently, only Android devices and a few specialized devices can transmit LDAC. So, though Sony markets LDAC as a selling-point for their headphones, Windows, Linux, and Apple computer users, as well as iPhone users are not able to actually use LDAC. A USB dongle would allow at least the PC, Linux, and Apple computer users to then use LDAC without buying an exorbitantly expensive Sony network audio player.

The amount of data that can be transmitted with it varies. The worst first the best at the end. sbc → aac from Apple → aptx LL and normal abtx → Ldac. Ldac is actually available for all Android manufacturers, but my Crosdcall and my old Nokia both don’t support it, despite Android 10. For MP3 isnSbc enough but for Hi-Res not.

Could be your phone if it’s running iOS or an Android 7 or older. But even SBC at high quality setting should be fine to listen with, especially through an excellent DAC/amp like the BTR5. Audio over Bluetooth: most detailed information about profiles, codecs, and devices / Habr
Don’t think you will hear a difference in SBC vs. aptX or LDAC unless you’re doing some indoor critical listening in silence. Outdoors it probably doesn’t matter.

If only it were that easy. SBC at 328 kbps (high profile, standard in most phones) is measurably better than LDAC running at 303/330 kbps. AAC is the most sophisticated psychoacoustic codec on that whole list but the implementation varies from stellar (Apple) to very good to good to crap (various Android phones) and you’ll never know how it compares. General rule I would estimate is that LDAC 16/44.1 @ 909kbps > Apple AAC > LDAC 16/44.1 @ 606 kbps > LDAC 32/96 @ 990 kbps > aptX/aptx HD > aptX LL > SBC > LDAC 16/44.1 @ 303 kbps > LDAC 32/96 @ 330 kbps, and even then the differences might be hard to hear between all of these, as long as there’s a solid DAC/amp after the receiver.

In general, just use AAC with iPhone and aptX or LDAC with Android, but take care of the sampling rate and bitrate for LDAC (use CD-res, highest bitrate) or you could be better off just using aptX or SBC.

1 Like

Lol, damn lo-res codecs disguised as hi-res codecs. LDAC… that can’t even stream an mp3 “losslessly”.

Any way to lock it to LDAC @ 909 in the Fiio app? I don’t know.

From what I remember it doesn’t have quality options, but I would bet its default is “Best Effort” (adaptive bitrate) just like Android’s default - FiiO would probably like it if you didn’t get any connection glitches or audio stutter because you might think to blame them on the FiiO device. :slight_smile: When running at 909 kbps you could have an unstable connection that stutters from time to time if there’s a lot of wireless noise around you (I have to pause-unpause the music when that happens).

Only way I know to force the quality options is from the system’s Developer Settings, and those don’t stick, you have to redo them every time you reconnect the receiver. And what’s worse is that the default is 32/96 but if I make the mistake of starting any sound playback at 32/96 my ViPER4Android will go into a dead state that doesn’t recover until the next phone restart. So I reeeally have to make sure to go in there to set 44.1 kHz every time or my personalized headphone EQs go bye-bye. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the info

the app and the fact that i don’t want to use just one dac for both my laptop and my phone are the only reasons I’m not on fiio… i dunno if it can run high end headphones like the 6XX or sundaras anyway and moving it from one place to another multiple times seems frustrating… (i also just like the idea of Xbass and MQA and stuff in the hip… yeah i know everyone thinks MQA is bad but i like having high res at an even cheaper price than qobuz)

The BTR5 runs my Sundaras just fine…

2 Likes

Maybe

I just like the fancy features that let me have high Res for less than 15 bucks even if it’s lossy

2 Likes

can it work with a ps4?

A propos of nothing, I returned to my office for the first time in months. There, on my desk, is a Magni 2. I plugged my BTR5 into the Magni 2 and plugged in a pair of DT880s/600 ohms. Then I played with the volume on the FiiO a bit. Result? It’s really, really good. I’m hearing tremendous clarity and am delighting in the glorious treble that the Beyers can produce. Fine combo.

4 Likes

By the way BTR5 has no line out, so you’re “double-amping” I guess, which is a bad thing according to “purists”, but whatever. :+1:

I see a xd-05 (or the new “xd-05 basic”) in my future (500mW + line out).

1 Like

I know, and I think it’s my one complaint with the BTR5. It’s something the ES100 does.

It’s my understanding that double-amping can be a problem but isn’t necessarily so. I think it requires caution, that’s all. But I’m not really sure. Are you aware of any problems with double amping?

I’ve been sorely tempted by the XD05, which does everything my Asgard 3 does, inclulding play nicely with powered speakers. I might end up with the XD for my work-office desk, if I ever go back to using the office regularly again…

Warning: the xd-05 basic does NOT have bluetooth. It’s just (still) compatible with the bl-05 thingy or whatever the name is. Even the DROP page says it has Bluetooth 5.0: Nope.

Main difference is the new “xd-05 basic” is Class A + USB-C + a little switch to switch from battery only to external power only, finally making it a real “desktop dac”.

Hi, do you guys think the BTR5 sound better than an entry DAPs like hidizs AP80 PRO, FIIO M3 PRO? Even if it doesn’t, do you think the more convenient of BTR5 over the DAPs can replace the gap of sound?

Imo yes. The Btr5 sounds better than an entry level Dap and it is very convenient.

2 Likes

There is a new Firmware Update.
https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/448835.html

There seems to be a problem with the website. Better not use the link at the moment.
Nov 1, 2020

4 Likes

I have the BTR5, but can it bring out the full potential of the Audio Technica ATH-R70x or at least run it?

i just got my connection to this site blocked by my antivirus because of some malware.
If you need to upgrade the firmware i would suggest not using that link