šŸ”· FiiO BTR5

It is the link to the official Fiio website and Avira Mobile Security on my smartphone is not responding. I did not know from which other website you can start the download otherwise. If you do not want to use the link, you can find the website on the Fiio website under News (the seventh top.)

Additions

There is also a download link in the official fiio forum. but I even get a Browser report that the website is not secure.

Additions 2

Iā€™ve just tried different browsers. Firefox and Thor browsers block the connection to all Fiio websites because they detect errors on the website. Thor and DuckDuckGo do not. You should probably not visit the Fiio website for the next time. Not through the link and not otherwise.

1 Like

Iā€™m using firefox, but the browser didnā€™t block anything for me, it was avast anivirus.

Strange that my Avira Antivirus did nothing. Hopefully, if the fault lies with Fiio, theyā€™ll fix it soon.

Iā€™ve had that problem on Brave too but it was my VPN. Fiio uses a proxy script when connecting, so maybe itā€™s your network settings in Firefox.

I only use IEMs, these are low resistance. But from what I read in the tests when I bought the BTR5, it should be fine with it. It would of course be advantageous to use balanced.
In addition, the headphones would probably sound a little better with a more powerful amplifier.

My OnePlus 7 pro has developed an issue with the bluetooth on the btr5. Heads up before you update!

Those who tried locking LDAC in Fiio Music App but still show as SBC/APTX on their BTR5 screen can try this:

1. Open your Bluetooth under the Android setting.
  2. Tap on your BTR5 cog setting button on the right side.
  3. Once you open the individual Bluetooth setting for your BTR5, enable LDAC under ā€œCodecsā€.

I am using Android 10 Samsung Note 20 Ultra. I too have had this issue but now settled. LDAC is on whenever BTR5 connecting to my phone. Your setting based on your Android version may vary.

3 Likes

What kind of issue do you mean?

The FiiO ceased to work in bluetooth mode. Solution was to forget and pair the device again.

Why do you love them? And how would you rank them in your headphone tier list

Itā€™s A DT 770 with a slightly smaller treble peak, but less aggressive bass and just a touch more mids. A 250 ohm DT 770 has more details but is also more exhausting to listen to. I would always prefer the DT770 for mixing or critical listening, but I like the 80ohm Custom a lot fun for on the go or at work. If I really want to enjoy music I prefer to use my HE560v1 or speakers. I modde my Customs with some felt inside the Cups and YAXI Comfort TH900/TH610 Alcantara Earpads to improve the isolation.

Hey, looking to buy my first DAC/Amp to go with IEMs and I canā€™t decide between the Btr5 or the Hip-dac.
Now, due to customs through shipping, the Hip-dac would cost close to twice the amount of the Btr5.
So is the difference that big? And of course bluetoothā€™ll be nice.

The BTR5 is pretty great. I havenā€™t heard the HipDAC, but if the price difference is that great, Iā€™d just grab the BTR5 and see if youā€™re happy.

2 Likes

I am also very happy with my BTR5. Itā€™s enough for my FH3 and sounds much better than on the smartphone.

2 Likes

Guess Iā€™ll do just that, ty.

Love my BTR5, I use it almost everyday with my 58Xā€™sā€¦

2 Likes

I have that exact same setup connected via usb c to my desktop.

Any suggestions for a desktop AMP/DAC (separate or combo) setup to upgrade to ?

TLDR - no EQ over USB or LDAC. No master quality on Tidal.

So I got the BTR5 based on many positive reviews and have discovered several major disappointments with the functionality of the device. I use it primarily as a USB DAC to listen on the couch. I wanted to add a little low end to my Sundaras, but couldnā€™t get the EQ to work. A little research turned up a post in the Fiio forums revealing that the device simply does not have this functionality. What? The same post revealed that the EQ functionality is also not available when using LDAC on bluetooth. What? I really wanted to try the EQ, so I disabled LDAC and tried out APTX. With the phone in one hand, and the BTR5 in the other (2 feet apart maybe) the signal kept cutting out for about 5 seconds at a time. Unlistenable. Okay. So I give up on using EQ and move on to the next issue. When listening to master tracks on Tidal (over USB) the screen on the unit is reporting that itā€™s playing at 48k bitrate. Hmmmm. I check Tidalā€™s info and theoretically the master tracks are 96k and up. The BTR5 reportedly can handle up to 384k. Whatā€™s going on? After several back and forth posts with Fiio on their forum, they inform me that the BTR5 is not compatible with MQA tracks. WHAT??? While the device may have nice sound if youā€™re not interested in using the EQ function, and you donā€™t pay out the extra $10/month for the Tidal ā€œhi-fiā€ subscription to get access to better quality audio, it is seriously crippled for anyone falling into either of these categories. For anyone like me - stay away and save yourself a ton of aggravation.

Full MQA ā€œunfoldā€ requires a DAC support MQA, itā€™s something a manufacturer has to pay a license fee for, most DACā€™s do not support MQA, if you want it youā€™ll have to find one that specifically has it.
If youā€™re not wedded to Tidal, you can get actual uncompressed (MQA is compressed) 96/24 192/24 tracks on Qobuz, Deezer or Amazon HD, among others.

1 Like

Thank you for the info! So if I want to plug a dac into my phone and listen to ā€œbetter than cdā€ quality audio, I shouldnā€™t use Tidal? or is there a dac/amp that would actually be good for this purpose? (portable - not because I leave the house, but because I listen on the couch, lol)