šŸ”¶ FiiO FD5 Flagship Single dynamic driver

Any objection/difference to this? Itā€™s 30 feet long, yay ^ ^
https://www.amazon.com/Headphone-Crystal-Earphones-Detachable-Connector/dp/B07ZJ4ZSX7/ref=sr_1_20?dchild=1&keywords=MMCX%2Bsingle%2Bcrystal%2Bcopper%2Bcable&qid=1610304570&sr=8-20&th=1

For reference, my favorite cables(for thickness/flex/feeling) so far would be the L3 cable, and that AK TRN 8-core.

looks like a random kz upgrade cable under a different name lol.

I prefer the resin/plastic of IEMs vs metal. I donā€™t care about the faceplate as long as the IEM looks cool. I like how substantial and quality metal IEMs feel, but resin will always be the superior material because its touching/rubbing a sensitive area of the human body.

I wish the Fiio hybrid IEMs werenā€™t metal. The biggest complaint I have of the FD5 is that I would prefer the shell to be a universal ear shape and be made of resin and not metal. The FD5, if pushed too far into my ear can be uncomfortable.

I guess that is true, as long as the faceplate is nice, metal/resin shouldnt matter much.

Thinking about it, The ideal IEM body would be a hard inner plastic/resin shell with a soft silicone outer covering. It might help with sound isolation and gripping the inner ear to keep seated and be very comfortable. It could be transparent.

I want rights if IEM manufacturers take my idea.

2 Likes

soft silicone? Thats something I havent seen in iems. But I do like the look of metal more than resin though.

1 Like

resin > metal here.

1 Like

To someone that owns the KBEAR Believe and the FD5ā€™s , do they sound similar or should I own both?

Thank you in advance.

1 Like

Just recieved the FD5 and keeping both.

2 Likes

Alright, time to answer your own question for us all. =p

Please take this with a grain of salt. I donā€™t have much experience with a wide range of IEMā€™s and mainly go with what sounds good to me.

Please, do not base your opinion from mine.

Just going to give my take since you asked.

FD5 - Detailed with slightly more mids and treble. Iā€™m not treble sensitive but could get fatiguing depending on mood.

The FD5 has an edge at the bottom where the cable connects that could be irritating if I donā€™t position right. They should have rounded that edge off. I consider my ears size average but everyoneā€™s different.

Believe - Warmer. The Believe has an inoffensive sound that I can keep turning up the volume without issue. Not recommended but these can really get me into the music. Itā€™s seems like listening to the FD5 through a tube.

Of all my IEMā€™s (15 pairs) the Believe will be my go to, but the FD5 fills a hole in my collection. These 2 IEMā€™s hit my target and Iā€™ll likely start selling the rest except for a select few.

BTW, I have the FH3 and FH5 but donā€™t really care for them when compared. this is based on what suits me the best.

1 Like

Iā€™d be curious to hear a comparison to the FH3, since I really enjoy that set, but am curious about the FD5. Also, what kinds of music are you listening to?

I listen to classic rock, metal, sound tracks, pop, jazz, but atm 60% would be EDM with vocals.

I was born hard of hearing so my opinion and creditbility is very, very, flawed. My hearing range only goes so high then cuts off. (12k+ ?) So high pitched sounds that would annoy the hell out of you, I would be oblivious. I need some elevated treble to be present.

Also, donā€™t want to mislead anyone.

FD5 has better details in the treble range but is also can be its flaw. Tighter but slightly less bass.
This set only has about 6 hours of use. I think I read on Head Fi that it simmers down after time.

FH3 doesnā€™t have the details or the energy for me. When I switch from the FD5 it makes me sad.

One of the gentlemen above may be a better candidate to consult.

1 Like

From very first impressions, with stock tips and config, I feel FH3 bass levels are stronger(and more favorable), but the difference is small. Obviously FH3 bass quality is no comparison to FD5, and Iā€™m pretty damn sure FD5 reaches lower without breaking a sweat.

Did you purchase the FD5 too?

Yeah, got it the other day. Now Iā€™m working on what other IEMs to buy, to do a big shootout against FD5 with. Currently working 77.5hrs/week, so listening time is tough right now :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Basically hunting for an FH3 super upgrade. Currently considering getting these 4, so far: LZ A7, Penon Orb, Legacy 4, and KB Believe.

Forgot to mention, FD5 needs a little power but not as much as the Believe.

I really like the Believe and they both do not have driver flex. My FH3 has a slight flex which is another reason I donā€™t care for them.

Now I need to find out how the FD5 compares to the Blessing 2 Dusk.

Interestingā€¦ Not sure Iā€™ve ever experienced driver flex. Is that the crinkle thing, when you physically move the IEM in your ear?

The KBB does sound good(just ordered it!), as you described it being warmer than FD5. Wonder how the fit will be. I really canā€™t come up with any other IEMs than those, haha. Except DM8, which I just canā€™t justify the price for probably not ideal bass :\ Maybe Starfield, but that surely cannot be all that great.

I believe so.

I use my IEMā€™s to sleep. It causes a suction or pressure whenever I bump or move them. Causes a lot of discomfort.

KBB fit is way better than the FD5 and it doesnā€™t have that sharp edge.

FD5 cable is awesome with the interchangable plugs.

1 Like

Yep, Iā€™m sold on KBB :slight_smile: Speaking of bedtime musicā€¦ I was listening to Lustmord a few nights ago on the FH3 ^ ^ Canā€™t even imagine what that will sound like on any of these new IEMs.

That Penon Orb is the most curious thingā€¦ Seems like literally nobody has it, to compare to any of the regularly praised IEMs. Just baffling. I will put an end to this.