šŸ”¶ FiiO FD5 Flagship Single dynamic driver

I also just got the FD5 today, itā€™s truly amazing. Iā€™ve dabbled with IEMs before but have always had problems with either driver flex, or fit, usually Iā€™d go for the foams they provided, which mess with the sound in a way I donā€™t prefer in general, but beats having a bad fit. Most of these were cheaper/pretty insignificant. I thought I should buy some of the well-known ear tips to use when the FD5 arrived but decided to hold off. I easily get a perfect fit with the tips that were installed on them when they arrived and this is the nicest cable Iā€™ve seen and felt (I have a few MMCX cables from my earbud collection).

My first serious IEM purchase, and it might even be my last, haha (oh no, thatā€™s not a rabbit hole, is it!?)! Originally I was debating between the Thieaudio Legacy 4 and Mangird Tea, but Iā€™m really glad I found out about these and spent a bit more :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I disagree. The FH3 and FD5 both have comparable bass. Both are extremely good at bass speed especially. FD5 has more dynamic slam due to housing such a huge dynamic and because it is a single dynamic driver, the FD5 has better timbre in the mid and upper registers.

The FD5 has a very natural soundstage where I feel the FH3 has better imaging/layering due to it being a hybrid but it sounds less natural. Both are very good IEMs in general. The FH3 for only 130 bucks is incredible. When discussing the FH3, most people forget just how inexpensive it is.

3 Likes

Youā€™re not missing anything. I personally prefer the FD5 to the L4 and Tea. Enjoy your new IEM.

1 Like

I use an o-ring before the tip to space/extend the nozzle a little further so I donā€™t experience that issue. Might be worth a try. I personally would have preferred if the FD5 had a resin-universal shell design. The Fiio hybrids fit me perfectly. The FD1 is also extremely comfortable.

I will give that a shot. May consider rounding it myself down the road.

Grateful to hear your opinion regarding the L4 and Tea. Just read Rikudou review again on head Fi and think I can skip the blessing 2 also.

Thank you for the advice!

1 Like

Thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™m looking for too, ha. I didnā€™t like the LZ A7 at all. It wasnā€™t bad per se, it just didnā€™t make me want to listen to music anywhere near as much. I donā€™t remember too much about it now, but the punch of the FH3 was definitely missing.

Thanks everyone for your FD5/FH3 comparisons!

1 Like

I agree with you. The bass quality on the FD5 and the FH3 are in the same league. But the FD5 IS better.

1 Like

I 100% agree.

1 Like

Crap, I give up. Who is in stock atm (maybe someone in Europe) ?
Linsoul after CNY, hifigo maybe?
Amazon DE UK still nothing
Hifi Passion same

Apparently it would be in stock here.
Is a specialty shop in Zurich.
Personally, I havenā€™t bought anything there yet.

Thank you for the link, but itā€™s in Swiss itā€™s pretty hard for me to navigate the site. And as you pointed out, I donā€™t know who they are, and nothing about thier way of doing businessā€¦ Itā€™s too much of a hassle trying to figure outā€¦ Too many questionsā€¦
Iā€™ll contact Hifi Passion Iā€™ve had bought from them earlier, i think they are about to get fresh stock.

Hm :\ I was/am actually hoping A7 would/will have better bass than FD5, with the dual DDā€™s(edit-1 DD, nvm). I feel like the extreme resolution of the FD5 takes away from the big picture enjoyment of the music, heh. Maybe thatā€™s where the Orb lives :slight_smile:

The A7 doesnt have a dual dd and it has a bit more bass quantity than the FD5. (trading some quality for quantity)

So you would say A7 has more bass than FH3? If FD5=FH3 bass amount.

(bass quantity)
A7 = FH3 > FD5

I agree so far with the FiiO comparison lol, but havenā€™t used the FD5 bass tube yet!

I dislike the bass config on the FD5. Worse in quality across the range and very limited tips even fits it.

Donā€™t do it! Simply use tips that completely seal. The FD5 has more than enough bass and slam for days.

Ok, Iā€™ve decided to grab Penon Fan, DM8, Believe, and A7 for the FD5 shootout, and skip Legacy 4 and Orb. But damn, that light blue transparent shell + purple storm faceplate L4 was gonna be so sick!! Lol. I cannot believe how thick and bulky the DM8 cable is. . . X_X

How does FD5 compare to something out of my budget, like S8F?