šŸ”¶ FiiO FH3 2BA 1DD

Thanks for sharing this, itā€™s really cool stuff

1 Like

yeah no problem!

1 Like

Both are blobby garbage compared to either headphones or IEMs that have good sound stage. Most everyone agrees with this consensus.

FYIā€¦ I was just asked to compare a headphone to an IEM in this thread. I try to do the best I can for anyone who asks for help or my personal opinion. Itā€™s not an apples to apples comparison obviously but itā€™s a comparison Iā€™m sure most can understand if they have heard the blob sound stage of the 600 series. The Moondropsā€™s sound stage is the equivalent to that in IEM form.

Frequency response is frequency response either on an IEM, closed back or open back headphone. Comparisons can always be made. Thatā€™s why graphs exist.

I would agree that the 600 have ā€œblobā€ stage, if meaning not wide,intimate,dull? But i canā€™t say the same for the starfields. I also would not say either one is garbage lol I do like a wide sound stage, but I dont let that being the deciding factor when choosing iem/headphones. Also amps matter a lot, which amps did you use with the 600 and starfields?

1 Like

I wish certain others could understand this. Thanks for the info.

I thought this was a great quote from the article:

As a music consumer , when I listen to a song at HALF-volume, Iā€™m only HALF-paying attention. When Iā€™m listening at FULL-volume, that means it has my FULL attention.

As a music producer , I want my mix to sound best when listeners are paying FULL attention.

3 Likes

Yes, you really mainly work at high volumes so you can hear everything and make sure your result doesnā€™t sound bad if pumped up. Of course working at lower volumes is also a good idea, but most of the time you do want to be in the upper volume range when actually working on music. So you typically end up optimizing for louder level listening

1 Like

That is why it is impossible for reviews to be ā€œobjectiveā€ (and also un-biased) lol. We all have different hearing health (age, volume played), different sources, tips and music library. All of that are subjective, makes me laugh so hard when I see people stating their reviews are ā€œobjectiveā€ā€¦ even more so when they call it un-biased :joy:

1 Like

For sure lol, like come on, how can you realistically expect to remove bias and subjectivity from a hobby that is subjective by nature lol. No point to really try, there is no real objective approach to audio that is actually viable imo (heh)

3 Likes

Even talking about the build quality, there is bias there too.

I prefer metal over resin. Is that objectively a better material?

1 Like

@M0N what headphone do you use for the final mix? Is it something like a koss? so that it would be a ā€œgeneralā€ commercial sound? So that the mix will sound decent on even lower end formats? If that makes sense? Lol

I prefer zirconium over carbon fibre lol

3 Likes

Who needs zirconium when all we need is plastic :joy:

1 Like

So I have a plethora of different consumer headphones, from cheap skullcandies, to bose, to airpods, to soundbars and tvā€™s, along with checking on car stereos as well (well when I have access to more than one car lol). So really I do use alot of consumer stuff of varying levels in what I do to make sure things sound great on that. You can master something to sound excellent on high end gear, but it might sound mediocre on the consumer stuff, or you can optimize for consumer gear and it would sound bad on higher end audio products, the key is finding a happy medium and also optimizing for what your audience will mainly listen on (so when I do radio ads, I more focus on optimizing for where radio is actually listened to). Also keep in mind that I mainly do mastering for commercial/business (like advertisements for tv/radio, some promo video stuff, podcasts, etc) so not really working with music in the traditional sense that often. Of course I use my high end gear throughout the process as well, but I do really make sure to listen on what the audience will be listening on

5 Likes

Basically having a target audience is extremely important.

3 Likes

Yes that sums it up lol

1 Like

This is exactly the response I was looking for, great info.

Then listen to an IEM known for sound stage and youā€™ll understand.

I just ordered the fh3 what should be expecting from them? Thanks

1 Like

@Ant1589 Not disgusting like the starfields apparently, has really great bass though. Comfortable.

What can you reccomend under 500?