šŸ”¶ FiiO FH3 2BA 1DD

Sure, FH3 > KXXX

The Starfield and KXXS/KXXX are very good IEMs for their price, but they come off as analytical. They have 1 DD driver and it is not beryllium, so they canā€™t compete with the bass performance, but because they have only 1 driver, some prefer the timber of a single driver IEM.

The FH3 is a hybrid. 1 beryllium DD and 2 Knowles BAs. I really have no issues with the FH3 timbre. I prefer it to the analytical sound of the Moondrops. It is the more ā€œfunā€ IEM.

1 Like

I have off from work today so I plan to start critical listening comparing the ISN H40 and the Fiio FH3. Below is a small list of some of my personal favorite tracks I enjoy listening to specifically for the reasons listed.

If you would like me to comparing anything specifically for you, Iā€™d be happy to listen and share what I hear.

BASS
Big Boi - Boomiverse - Kill Jill (over ear headphones usually cannot do this subbass justice)
Hyper - Lies - Lies
Blade Runner 2049 - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack - Wallace
Tool - Fear Inoculum - Legion Inoculate

SPEED, TRANSIENTS, DYNAMICS & TEHCNICALITIES
Dream Theater - Distance Over Time - At Witā€™s End
Jason Richardson - I - Titan
Hyper - Lies - Spoiler
Interstellar - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack - Mountains
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories - Within
Opeth - Watershed - Porcelain Heart

SOUNDSTAGE
Yosi Horikawa - Wandering EP - Letter

TREBLE SHARPNESS
Darkwater - Human - Alive (Part II) (guitar solos)

FEMALE VOCALS/SIBILANCE/TEXTURE/MIDS
Adele - Hello
Aurora - A Different Kind of Human - The River
Big Boi - Boomiverse - Kill Jill
Paramore - Riot - crushcrushcrush
Evanescence - Fallen - Bring Me to Life
Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia - Donā€™t Start Now
Colbie Callat - Breakthrough - Droplets
White Moth Black Butterfly - Atone - Rising Sun
Sabrina Claudio - Confidently Lost - Tell Me
Amaranthe - Amaranthe - Amaranthine
Diana Krall - Turn Up the Quiet - Night and Day

MALE VOCALS/TEXTURE/MIDS
Daniel Tompkins - Castles - Castles
White Moth Black Butterfly - Atone - Rising Sun
Eumeria - Reble Mind - Reble Mind
James Labrie - Elements of Persuasion - Drained
Ghost - Prequelle - Pro Memoria
Evergrey - The Inner Circle - A Touch of Blessing, More Than Ever
Opeth - Damnation - Windowpane
Opeth - Watershed - Porcelain Heart
Ray Alder - What The Water Wants - The Road (Acoustic)
Symphony X - Iconoclast - When All Is Lost
John Mayer - Room for Squares - My Stupid Mouth

4 Likes

While the timbre of the KXXS/KXXX might be a bit better due to the single DD, the result isnt as natural sounding as the FH3 due to its tonality. It is too thinn and bright which makes it sound less natural in the end (for my library).

2 Likes

I personally wouldnā€™t say the KXXX timbre is ā€œbetterā€, but ā€œbetterā€ is subjective. There are people out there that will argue single DD has better timbre. Maybe theyā€™re right. I personally donā€™t agree. I prefer the FH3 in every way vs the KXXX including timbre. I do agree with you Rikudou that the Moondrops sound ā€œthinā€. Just trying to give a broader perspective than just my own opinions.

1 Like

Yeah, I think the FH3 timbre is better than the KXXS. But just wanted to mention that even IF the timbre is better, when you are listening to music and the tonality is ā€œwrongā€ then it will sound unnatural in the end.

Cant say anything about the KXXX though since I dont have it.

Could I get you to take a listen to Straight Lines by Nubiyan Twist? Itā€™s a pretty well rounded track, with both vocals and great instrumental parts including some brass horns. Please let me know what your thoughts are if you get around to checking it out.

1 Like

this will be the first time ill be looking forward to shitting my pantsā€¦ :smiley: gawd the waiting is progressively agonizing by the minuteā€¦

3 Likes

I wish that Crinacle could get the FH3 so we can have the graph on it.

thank youā€¦ thatā€™s the beauty of a hobby, the joy of upgradingā€¦ im thinking, i entered the hobby in a perfect time, where parts are at the peak of developments, and prices are lowā€¦ just my speculations thoughā€¦ bec last time i bought an earphone was 2013, soundmagic e10mā€¦ and its way way different experience when i first heard the 6 driver zsxā€¦ thatā€™s how i got hooked instantly, wondering, how good can it get? this is the best sounding iem i heard, like listening to an old song like its new, and internet groups/ forums is telling me there are betterā€¦ i hope am not digging myself a rabbit hole :smiley:

5 Likes

Oh boy it is a rabbit hole indeed.

2 years ago I only had the KZ ZS6 (I thought they were the best in the world, how ignorant I was indeed lol) and now I am at 50+ iems :joy:

Fortunately for you, the prices and SQ are really good right now and its actually hard to get something that sounds bad.

1 Like

well its not bad of a rabbit i guessā€¦ i love music and i played bass as my job for about a decade, maybe its the reason that i prefer trebles over bass, i had trained my ears to hear bass and learn the parts even from the crappiest cassette tape player back in early 2000ā€™sā€¦ thus the love for the zsxā€¦ and also being blissfully ignorant about other iems bec i only have 2 :slight_smile:
50+ iems is dope man, like having a new one every two weeksā€¦ im thinking i only want 3 then move to headphonesā€¦ but its definitely too early to tell

1 Like

You know, I never intended to have 50+ it just happened :joy:

I only thought about getting 2 or 3 too at the start :smiley:

omgā€¦ im picturing myself holding 50+ iems with a big smile on my face hahaha

hahahaha, dont worry too much. Most people dont get nearly as much stuff as I have.

Fortunately I am not interested in headphones at all, so that is one rabbit hole I am skipping.

You damn animals, lol I got some coming if all goes well LOL! We shall see by the end of the month. Honestly I think it will be up there with the Blon 03 and the OH10 in my book, but lighter than OH10/more resolving than blon 03, and maybe better upper mids than the OH10, it can get slightly shouty for me. If it can be close to the OH 10 in bass then Iā€™ll switch to it since that is still the best there is LOLā€¦ Iā€™ll fight you over it :wink:

Also,regarding the Moondrop iems I consider the starfield to be my relaxed listen since the driver is kinda slow and muddy to me, but with good boost to treble and bass I can listen at lower volume and itā€™s really relaxing for me. Not fatiguing in the least. For tonality they are pretty good overall. My ā€œthinā€ set is 100% the FDX1 where I feel compelled to boost lower mids to get a warmer more natural experience. So damn good as well tho.

2 Likes

Bass does look like it has more quantity on the OH10. As my urbanfun bass sounds very similar to the FH3. But the beryllium texture isā€¦well unreal :joy:.

(wow, never noticed the OH10 and the urbanfun are so similar lol)

2 Likes

hey are you a youtube reviewer or something? i had read your review on the other site and its very detailed, plus you have 50+ iemsā€¦

Yea, thats why I wanted @hawaiibadboy to take a second look at the OH10 since the only reason he didnt like them at the time was price compared to the Blon 03, and since they are so close to the urbanfun as well etc. So yea they are very well tuned, its just the want to see something outdo it etc lol

Nah, I only do written reviews.

1. I am not good at speaking (no matter the language), and I suck at just talking without a script and if I have a script it would be pretty obvious lol.

2. Takes more time to edit videos and stuff.

3. With written reviews, the reader can ā€œconsumeā€ it at their own pace. Sometimes I find youtubers talking too fast or too slow and sometime they have an accent that makes it really hard for me to understand.

4 Likes

thatā€™s great will follow your reviews on other siteā€¦ btw, your review of the fh3 is very informative, the song samples is really helpful for me tooā€¦ thank youā€¦ and i actually prefer written reviews more than videosā€¦ i like them both thoughā€¦i can sense some hyping on videos so i prefer to just read about itā€¦

1 Like