🔶 FiiO FH3 2BA 1DD

I’ll be interested in hearing what @luizgarcia thinks as well. Tagged him over in the Zen thread which was looking a little lonely and needs some love. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would increase the upper-treble a lot and reduce the upper-mids/lower-treble (otherwise it would be way too bright) to compensate for that. Maybe increase the sub-bass a bit. :+1:

Thanks again for making the Zen possible for me @Resolution ! Looks like it will be delivered today!!!

1 Like

They have arrived!

First impressions: This is the best bass i have heard in any IEM, it slams hard, it rumbles and it is so freaking clean!

Now it is time to tip roll!

EDIT: wow i really need to dust off my desk, i can’t see all that dust with a naked eye lol

8 Likes

Congrats!!

1 Like

not sure what music you are listening to but would this be perfect for Techno? Electronic? Looking for that perfect single dd

3 Likes

I mainly listen to rock and prog metal, what do you value the most while listening to techno / electronic?

I can say for sure i have never heard a bass so well defined and controlled while capable of slamming hard like the Zen, so if that is the kind of sound you are looking for then the Zen may be for you.

One thing worth noting is that if you are a basshead like myself you will need EQ to bring the Zen’s bass to where you want it, and i am thinking because of the materials used in its driver (maybe its super stiff) it does not respond easily to EQ, feels like every +2dB only actually raise +1dB. But for me that was not a problem at all since i am using it from a desktop amp, just not sure if a DAP would be capable of the same thing.

EDIT: since this is the FH3’s thread, comparing the FH3’s bass to the Zen’s the FH3 sounds bloated and slow, which is crazy because the FH3 has one of the best bass responses out there imo.

3 Likes

Kick slam definitely for Techno and other Electronic genres, Autechre, Richard Devine, Nico Moreno etc. I have the Legacy 3 and the FH3 and I’ve always characterized the L3 bass as ported fat sub and FH3 as tight controlled sub, I have the legacy 2 incoming so that compare with be interesting for Beryllium driver. I guess my main goal is that DD tonality and coherence, I do really like the soundstage and spatial effects of the FH3 but just wanting to find that in a DD, also listen to classical and Drone electronic. I’m looking at the Zen, the Illumination and the IE 900 as top contenders. Still listen to my Tin T2 and Etymotic ER2XR which i still like just looking to go higher end.

1 Like

Well your music style is something i have no experience with, but when it comes to slam the Zen is in its own league, just keep in mind that the FH3 will have more bass in stock form than the Zen so you will need EQ to get there. Also, if you are already EQing the FH3 you will probably have to EQ the Zen even more, since it responds to EQ differently than the FH3.

I have only heard the Zen for about one hour so it is still early for solid impressions from my side, but the DD coherence is surely there.

1 Like

Right on, thank you for the insight, will put this on my short list

1 Like

Glad i could help, but i am not a reviewer so please take my impressions with a grain of salt :slight_smile:

1 Like

Its all grains around here man, I take in everything, all impressions matter so I appreciate the reply.

4 Likes

Hello,
can you test it with this songs,
thank you,

I would also be interested in how the Zen handles Vortex - Make them Suffer… That is a lot of speed and complexity for a single DD. Curious how it handles it.

Also @Strifeff7 thanks for introducing this song to me. Always happy to find an interesting metalcore band.

Vortex doesn’t have the cleanest low end to begin with, just worth noting, that kick is pretty loose. Elevated low end can muddle that track real quick.

Inside FH3, Plate stuck on with adhesive.

9 Likes

This place is dangerous lol - read through a lot of this thread and couldn’t help but pull the trigger on a set. Can’t wait to see what they sound like, how they compare to the Legacy 2s and the Teas and I’m interested as to how different they might sound to me and my ears.

Will want to get a balanced cable but slightly concerned if the mmcx connection is as tight as some folk have said - other IEMs are all 2-pin - so any advice on changing without breaking something would be appreciated.

Get a mmcx removal tool like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Accessories-Connectors-Disconnection-Headphone-Disconnect/dp/B08P1Y3LR9
It pushes the connection apart rather than pulling on if you were trying to use your hands.

1 Like

yes, a comparison would be interesting,