From reviews and posts, I think the Fiio K5 Pro is perfect for me, but I have some issues with it.
First off, really the killer, is that my 2.1 setup is powered, which is perfect for the pre-outs on the K5. My problem is there is no headphone/out switch or even separate volume knobs.
Secondly, I’d like it to have balanced headphone out as well as unbalanced. This is not required.
So my requirements are:
- A DAC+Amp
- Clean and relatively neutral sound
- A pre-out (not line out)
- Nice big knob (or separate knobs for the out and headphone)
- Desktop form factor (heavy and solidly built)
- Balanced and single headphone out
- A switch between headphone and pre-out (can be auto with headphone jack sensing)
- Able to push at least 80ohm headphones
- Relatively cheap ($200)
Features I don’t need that the K5 Pro has, coax and optical.
I do know of the JDSLabs Atom stack, but I’m not a huge fan of stacks and the plastic build of the Atoms.
Any other suggestions? I’m thinking of even finding or DIYing a cutoff switch for the pre-outs.