What did you buy today? (Part 1)

For the past 4 years I’ve been living with a left monitor that would continually shut itself off due to a miserably designed power saving mode, and a dac that would significantly distort the signal going to my right monitor every time I raised or lowered the volume.

All this time I neglected doing something about it because audio wasn’t at the top of my priorities list anymore and because I knew that it would cost a lot of money - even though, all this time, it drove me right up the wall.

So about 2 weeks ago I finally said fuck it, let’s do it and let’s do it right. So I started doing research into what would be viable replacements and with the help of some of you (I’m especially looking at you, @M0N), I narrowed it down to the following:

• Schiit Modi Multibit
  • Schiit Magni 3+
  • Schiit SYS
  • Mackey MR624 (2x)
  • Hifiman Sundara

Let’s hope I can finally enjoy listening to music again. I’m already looking forward to revisiting my neglected record library. Thanks guys!

29 Likes

Now, that is a nice step up! :+1:

3 Likes

I will forever miss my Geshellis but I’m really digging @TwoPaperCaper 's Liquid Platinum. Thanks again for the great deal! It also pairs well with the Bifrost 2, imo :hear_with_hearing_aid:

24 Likes

That is a Very nice combo! :+1:

2 Likes

It’s been a short while, and i wanted to take the time to set it up and make up my mind on it. I hope you are enjoying your new to you amplifier @Veritas I am Enjoying my new-to-me Line Magnetic 216 ia.
Thanks for making the effort to package and ship it to me on the opposite side of the country, i know it was a real pain. :+1:

27 Likes

After much consternation, I got an MOTU M2 2x2 audio interface and a MAONO AU-PM320S microphone kit

The M2 is on backorder everywhere so I put in a reserve order at Sweetwater. Hopefully it won’t take too long. It’s been getting rave reviews everywhere, even from @ZeosPantera as just a headphone amp.

The mic seemed to have a great sound. I don’t have a purpose for it yet, but at $65 for the whole kit, it seemed to good to pass up. Maybe I’ll start a podcast about something or stream? No idea.

4 Likes

Well… Both pairs of shoes I had where starting to kick the bucket.
The Treadsafe soles are pulling away

And there is a split almost all the way across the sole of the DocMartins boots

So I went and bought some new shoes, and finally pulled the trigger on a pair of Dekoni Blues and some more pads…

7 Likes

preordered a bunch of records…

finally got the 2 MCR albums i listen to and love to this very day off my bucket list

black parade is a classic

5 Likes

One of the greatest albums ever. Such a classic

1 Like

Well, I went and did it again… I pulled the trigger on a pair of MU6 Space 2
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R4J8HX3/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Twas ~$140 before tax
Also picked up one of these…
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ML4A2Q/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Figured I could try my hands at my first headphone mod, and give my 7506 a detachable cable.

5 Likes

This, uh, fell(?) - yeah - FELL into my Amazon shopping cart a few days ago after I tried the XBass boost on my Hip-Dac with the Elegia. Amazon’s algorithm apparently predicted that I would wonder if the Asgard 3 exerted more control over the Elegia’s drivers in the low end with that xbass piped through it. I swear, I’m innocent here :laughing:

21 Likes

focal headphones in general are basically goals…

i am nervous i might destroy my hearing with the dynamics on them but i want that powerful slam and guitars and strings to feel detailed and real like that

As long as you average around 75dB SPL, your hearing will be fine.

i remember josh saying that the dynamics and intensity on the elex were so much that bad recordings might be difficult with them

I haven’t noticed that on the Elegias so far. But they’re also not the same headphone. Even so, Josh’s comment isn’t really related ear health. As I read it it’s more the classic “this headphone will make a bad recording sound bad” kind of comment.

also i am trying to think of just getting a BTR5 and using that as my main DAC or buying a hip dac… i am leaning more towards a hip dac because i find the sound of the ESS chips on things like the dragonfly black and the monolith to be kinda flat and stale and dont have the exact pop i like. but then again with a BRT5 i save money AND i wont have to buy a DAP when i get a non LG phone in the future at the expense of losing some of the DAP like features of LGs line

For what it’s worth I didn’t enjoy the Elegia as much on the Dragonfly Red when I had it, but the Hip Dac is :ok_hand:.

1 Like

BTR 5 (and the BTR3 for that matter, I own 2) have been my go to for awhile now.

I highly recommend both. The only thing I think is just a niggling issue with the BTR5 is the bluetooth range and interference susceptibility on the higher qualities.

1 Like

i just am unsure because of the USB issues and the fact that it will have that ESS sound that doesn’t really impress or make anything stand out

Going to demo myself some Elegia’s this Friday probably, along with the rest of the Focal lineup. I’ve listened to them all previously, but this time I’m going to spend more than five minutes just listening to them.

Looking for a replacement (or trade-in) for my LCD2-CB sometimes in the future. Maybe I’ll also get a better impression than I originally had of the Focals, now that I actually get some time with them.

1 Like