šŸ”¶ FiiO M11 / M11 Pro

Spotify would be my preferred service but I would rather not pay for multiple redundant services (I have Google play because of YT premium). Also you can only download music as an mp3 that you uploaded yourself. Otherwise, your music is subject to the same DRM found in all other music apps.

Huh, I remember being able to download my library to just raw mp3s, but that was most likely around 2013

Also Iā€™m going to try and run a sketch play store and see if I can spoof my device as an existing Samsung phone and try and emulate a different version of Android. I donā€™t want to invest too much into this, but if it works Iā€™ll let you guys know. From my knowledge it does not seem that the bootloader is unlockable, but that was from a quick google search and I donā€™t really want to bother trying, since Iā€™m not that desperate for play store.

Edit: so far Iā€™ve hit a wall, since I cannot unlock the bootloader because in developer options the oem unlock setting does not show up, and you need to enable this to access the bootloader

Do any of you guys have the setting ā€œoem unlockā€ showing in developer options?

Nope no such option on my M11.

I did a search on the XDA forums, and found little about DAP developement in general. I did find a recent post about about a custom kernel for the FiiO X5iii though. If we wait long enough, a solution might come. Though Iā€™m not optimistic.

The main issue is fiios usage of the Exynos 7872 soc and the locked bootloader, so I would be unable to flash a kernel because I would need fastboot access to flash a custom recovery such as twrp, and from there I would flash a kernel. If Iā€™m able to unlock the bootloader I would be able to do what I want. Trying to load into the bootloader just triggers a reboot of the device. It seems that this is also common on Samsung phones, so I looked it up and found that sometimes, the OEM unlock feature in the developer settings was missing. I did a little more reading it it seems that this was a security guard on Samsung phones that prevents someone from having access to that switch unless they have their phone connected to WiFi and fully on for more than 7 days. You can read more here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.xda-developers.com/fix-missing-oem-unlock-samsung-galaxy-s9-samsung-galaxy-s8-samsung-galaxy-note-8/amp/

I tried this method, and it did not work, and seems like it only works for some people and not others.

My plan is to attempt to unlock the bootloader and flash a custom ROM and possibly kernel with information that will make the phone appear as a Samsung phone (just a theory at this point), and from there flash the open gapps package and see what happens.

I have explored using modified play stores and Google frameworks, but I would require root for those to run properly, and I cannot gain root access without an unlocked bootloader

Edit: I have done this before on older phones that stopped being supported, and it actually worked, so this could be a viable option

1 Like

Ok, I sent fiio an email asking how to unlock the bootloader, I hope I get something (spoilers: I probably wonā€™t)

Yeah I doubt youā€™ll get any help breaking into Fiioā€™s own intellectual property.

I wouldnā€™t expect the bootloader to be fiios ip. And itā€™s not like their using a private os. I understand they most likely donā€™t want me messing around with their own software, but cā€™mon, thereā€™s no real reason to lock the bootloader, itā€™s not like theyā€™re Sprint or Verizon. I also wonder if the reason itā€™s hidden and locked is because of the Samsung soc, which might have that locked by default and didnā€™t feel the need to change it

Still worth a try though

Have you figured out a way to back up everything first?

This may help. Sorry not too familiar with jailbreaking

https://unofficialtwrp.com/meizu-m6s-twrp-3-2-root/

So I should be able to backup everything through ADB but I have not tried it yet since I have no need to back it up since I donā€™t have anything I am worried about loosing

That wonā€™t work because Android does not natively allow root access. This is something that you can only achieve with an unlocked bootloader on most phones including the m11. Since I cannot access the bootloader, I cannot flash a root package to the system

It seems that that phone had root access enabled from the factory, which is very very rare, especially in the US

I just tested and a backup via ADB works. It only includes apps and some other things. Nothing including the os or firmware or anything like that. You would have to have bootloader access for that

So itā€™s essentially useless to me

Well I donā€™t know what I was expecting ā€œYou could not access this in the M11. It is not supported.ā€ Alright then.

Edit: I guess itā€™s time to see if an exploit pops up.

Do you have a reliable source for the $200 price hike with the pro version?

Not a reliable source but based off the fact that cost of AM3D, dac chip upgrade, and a few other clues came up with a ideal pricing that any business would do.

Now also supposedly a company is already taking preorders.

https://hifigo.com/collections/audio-player/products/fiio-m11-pro-dual-ak4497eq-blutooth-5-0-portable-music-player

It also looks as if they will be running a new firmware version, so I wonder if that will come to the regular m11

Does the M11 come with a system wide Parametric EQ? Or is limited to the individual music apps?