šŸ”¶ Fiio M15

These expensive daps donā€™t make sense when you can buy a brand new LG V20 for $100 on eBay

3 Likes

Law of Diminishing Return.

Donā€™t knock it unless you have actually tried it.

Well, for $900 more it better be over the top compared to the M11 :wink:
I just find it hard to spend that kind of money on a DAP, when I can use my Xduoo-xd05 plus ($250) and get and incredible sound. And probably better than the M15 and still with $650 left.

But great you got the M15, it IS a great DAP for sure.

1 Like

Finally got a chance to see it in person today. The first thing that stood out to me was the weightā€¦it was like 2.5x the M11 (with a case on too).
Sounds great out of the 2.5mm and the volume knob was a lot better than I had initially thought.
Pictures donā€™t really do it justice though, it really is a nice-looking unit.

BGGAR prefers the M11 PRO over the M15. The way he presents it, you just sit with the thought: ā€œthe biggest differences between the 2 are the price and the THX part of the PROā€

im tempted on buying the m15 or m11 pro. but my biggest problem is relying on spotify for my music lol

I remember the comments saying that the M11 Pro is much better on price to performance.

They can both play Spotify fine.

Felix

Fiio M15 VS M11 pro

I know some folks are wary about the single Micro SD card slot but the slot itself is designed to take cards that hold up to 2 tb of music

Maybe one SD card per genre instead?

1 Like

Or curated extended playlists/album selection

1 Like

Fiio m15 is Sold out on Amazon and aliexpress.

Did Z drop a positive video on his patreon or something?

Lol confirmed. He did. And I think the price went UP!?!

• looks at specs and pricing, sees itā€™s literally impossible for him to justify* added to the ignore list

I watched Zeosā€™ review in spurts when I was able to today, and while I generally agree with him, as someone who owns this Iā€™d like to temper some of his praise and offer up a few observations.

Reviewing it after 9 hours of use really doesnā€™t give the best sense of battery life and a lot of the quirks imo. Iā€™ve run the battery down just about every day for the past 2 weeks, and if you are using balanced you get closer to 8-9 hours than you would 15+. If you run balanced and use the over-ear setting itā€™s more like 6 hours. Which is fine. But itā€™s not limitless play like it was suggested.

The bass calmed down a lot after a week. Itā€™s still very strong, but much tighter than it was out of the box. Say what you want about burn in being entirely mental, but this sounds different today than when I received it. Iā€™ve seen numerous posts on other forums about DAPs in general needing substantial burn in, with one specifically pointing to the number of OP Amps in the M15 as a prime example of a device needing burn-in. I donā€™t know whether the science was valid, but I noticed a change in any case. Again, 9 hours of use wouldnā€™t have sounded the way it does today, and Iā€™m a little surprised he was so positive based on that small sample size. I was a lot more critical in my first few days than I am today.

This thing gets freaking hot. If you want to play videos off youtube, you can lock to dim the screen, but you canā€™t turn the screen off without stopping playback (that I can figure out anyway). After about 45 minutes audio playback stops and a message pops up saying that the device is too hot, and must cool down before resuming use. I couldnā€™t have watched Zā€™s review of the M15 on the M15 in one sitting. Itā€™s a minor annoyance, and if I need to watch a video on youtube my phone is fine for that. There seem to be some alphabetization issues for some people with the way they tag their songs, but itā€™s not killing me. There are some tracks I have to search for a little more than others, which can be annoying.

The M15 sounds really incredible. Itā€™s wide, and has great instrument separation, but it is definitely on the warm side. Paired with my Empyreans or with my Atlas iems, it can get to be a little dark for my tastes. But paired with some of my brighter headphones and iems, I think itā€™s really great. Is it worth it? Probably not. But itā€™s pretty damn good, and gives me a lot to be happy about while accepting my early adopter tax.

3 Likes

I was a little surprised by how quickly he came to a conclusion about it.
One thing to note from the video - Zeos seems to think that running balanced isnā€™t even necessary with this thing because it outputs so much power.

At 300ohm that would be 70mw output without going balanced. That could save on a lot of battery life, unless you have a particular reason that you would need more than 70mw at 300ohm, which totally exists, but is actually pretty rare if Iā€™m not mistaken.

The thing getting hot is a little worrisomeā€¦also the lack of dedicated control for the output is a little disappointing. Is there a clear way to know the difference between high gain plus ā€œNot over ear modeā€ and over ear mode plus low gain, low gain plus over ear mode, etc, etc?

I donā€™t really get the issue with searching for tracks. Isnā€™t it the same as the other Fiios? They work in a pretty straightforward way as far as I can tell.

I still think itā€™s a value with just how much damn power the thing can put out while also BEING a DAP. Zeos was taking Modhouse Argons on a casual walk and powering them totally.

Iā€™m glad youā€™re happy with yours, but I wish you werenā€™t and youā€™d sell them to me. lmao

Thatā€™s true, but if you have a balanced device, 9/10 times it will preform better balanced, so I would consider taking advantage

You can do that with a m11 or something, the actual power argons take is overstated, you can run them off a phone, and it will sound like decent. The m15 has plenty of power balanced to get a good experience

Okay, somebody help me make sense of this then.

What kind of power does this suggest I could get at 300ohm balanced or unbalanced? I donā€™t really know how to go about deciphering this.

This is m11 pro btw

Headfonia.com says
88,5mW @300ohm

I always try to go balanced with iems if given the choice, and thatā€™s what had me looking at DAPs in the first place. I have a Mojo, but itā€™s not balanced, and I was noticing my Andromedas sounding way better off of my THX 789 with a 2.5 balanced cable connected to a XLR adapater. The M15 has power, but I would use the over ear mode even on an easy to drive headphone. The over ear mode makes a big difference. Both that and the high/low gain toggle are accessed by sliding down a quick access menu from the top of the screen. Because the volume dial gets jostled in your pocket, I always turn volume to min and slowly raise it up to listening levels, and I try to remember to toggle off the over ear mode when I finish listening with headphones.

1 Like