FiiO UTWS1 Official Thread

Pairing to my S10, I’ve tried laptops and Iphones aswell, same results… Thinking its just a faulty unit. Aliexpress isn’t a great place to buy a faulty unit from unfortunately. Returning is over half the cost of the unit itself. Probably gonna get thrown in a drawer for now.

Got some issues pairing my UTWS1. Firstly, both paired seamlessly out of the box, so I’m thinking this is something I fugged up.

I use to be able to switch between L and R, individually and together…now only the R will pair with my phone, and the L wont pair at all to anything. I’ve read the limited manual, and besides long holding the only side button, I cant get the L to pair to my phone or the R device.

Anything I can do to unbreak this? I’ve tried the 10 second long press to erase al pairing, but I think that may have caused the issue and now I can un-do my doodoo mistake.

sometimes I will get the notification that one has connected and not the other, but when I put it on the audio comes through. That’s probably not super helpful, but that’s the closest I’ve come to not having it work seamlessly

1 Like

I’ve been using mine for about a week and give them a hearty thumb’s up. They work seemlessly with my Android phone and a pair of Tin T2s. No noise issues. As far as I can tell the sound is no better or worse than what the T2s provide. And for a plus I’m still amused by the fact that the voice that says “power on” has a Chinese accent.

Fit is a little tricky, for when they’re attached to IEMs, they limit to some extent how the IEMs fit into the ear. This became more clear when I tried using my Shure 425s. I found the combination unusable–but for my ears. I bet it would work fine for someone else. This is bad news in that it adds a touch of uncertainty. On the other hand, it’s also clear that these things are best used with budget IEMs, so buying something else to try isn’t the biggest deal in the world. Chifi all the way.

Still, I wouldn’t mind something other than the T2s. The biggest issue for me with those is fit: I find the nozzle too big and they are uncomfortable as a result.

One word of warning though about “IEM rolling” with these: Removing IEMS that are attached involves pulling on the connection in such a way that it has to be putting a strain on it. Meaning, I don’t think it would be a good idea to switch IEMs often, or to use the same IEMs for both wired and the UTWS1 and keep changing back and forth. It’s best to have a dedicated pair of IEMs that you attach and leave on, and another pair …most likely a better and more expensive pair…for wired. Indeed, if I want to go wired, I have better than the Tin2s and am content to leave them attached to the UTWS1 as if permanent.

Anyway, I approve of the UTWS1. Also, I think Z got it just right: As a proof of concept, the UTWS1 nails it. But we’re still maybe one or two revisions away from REALLY GOOD. But these do the job, and I like wearing them when I do errands, the sort of errands where having a dangling cable attached to my beloved ES100 is a nuisance.

3 Likes

Dammit. I left one in a pocket of a pair of jeans that just went through the wash!

That stinks. My right one actually stopped charging today.

Amazingly enough the T2 that went through the wash works fine, but the UTWS1 is definitely not working.

1 Like

I dont know when you bought it, but I just contacted FiiO. I sent my unit(s) to who I assume is a contractor. He’ll fix the channel and return them to me. Only had to pay for shipping. ~$3.50 USD. Maybe worth it if you are in the US.

1 Like

Received the UTWS1 today and fully functional. Great service from FiiO.